[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

i don't really put to much into the bermuda triangle theory,last i heard methane gas was one of the explanations.Llyods of London dosen't charge xtra for anything insured going thru there............people luv a mystery and the unexplained

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77674.html#msg77674

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Idaho, a mutiny might have been the reason why the message ended so abruptly. Maybe the message in a bottle was war propaganda though. I'm not too sure when WW1 ended - I think the flu called it off.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77676.html#msg77676

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 12:13:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

bomber,
agreed I have studied this a lot back in the day and its simply a high traffic area. Statistically no more disappearances happen there than anywhere else. It does sell books though.  Smiley

Sue,
I hadn't thought about that but it could easily have been wartime propeganda. Or if the mutineers scuttled the ship somewhere perhaps it was an attempt to misdirect a search and lay blame on someone else. Wonder if anyone was spotted later? Speculating wildly here Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77677.html#msg77677

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 12:20:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

just for the record, WW1 "ended" at 11:00am on the 11 November 1918.   The holiday we call Veterans' day in the United States was established as a memorial of this and was originally called Armistice Day.

Given where the Cyclops was supposed to be when  she sank, I think the note in the bottle is a hoax.   And given what is being reported concerning the Captain, the presence of coal dust, nitrates, and manganese (see below), an overloaded ship, and the presence of 5 prisoners suspected of murder, to say an explosive situation (in more ways than one) existed aboard ship would be a major understatement......whether the explosion was deliberate or accidental, hmmm---either would be extremely possible under the circumstances.

BA

* from wikipedia--Manganese compounds are less toxic than those of other widespread metals such as nickel and copper.[41] However, exposure to manganese dusts and fumes should not exceed the ceiling value of 5 mg/m3 even for short periods because of its toxicity level.[42] Manganese poisoning has been linked to impaired motor skills and cognitive disorders.[43]

The permanganate exhibits a higher toxicity than the manganese(II) compounds. The fatal dose is about 10 g, and several fatal intoxications have occurred. The strong oxidative effect leads to necrosis of the mucous membrane. For example, the esophagus is affected if the permanganate is swallowed. Only a limited amount is absorbed by the intestines, but this small amount shows severe effects on the kidneys and on the liver.[44][45]

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77679.html#msg77679

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 12:44:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice BA, I read that wiki earlier but didn't catch that about how the dust affected the mind.
I wonder how often the ship had carried manganese, perhaps that accounts for some of the odd behavior noted from the captain?

Oh I was going to add since Bomber mentioned the methane theory that I watched a documentary (sorry can't remember who made it) probably on discovery or history channel where they modeled this with the Cyclops. A huge methane burst or bubble would instantly swamp a huge ship perfectly, however to my knowlege no evidence of a bubble that size has been recorded yet. Of course in 1918 the means to measure this didn't exist so who knows. Just food for thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77689.html#msg77689

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

believe i saw that same show idaho,i remember it saying that theres pockets of methane going alll the way to the carolinas.on the show i watched they even stalled an airplane motor with methane but again its tv and it can make you believe anything BUT i'll believe gas before aliens and portals to a different dimension and such

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77690.html#msg77690

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BUT i'll believe gas before aliens and portals to a different dimension and such

Everything now days that are not easily explained gets blamed on the poor aliens, or ghost.

Headed to the library this afternoon or tomorrow to look at the hard copy's of the Galveston Daily News from the time the bottle was found for me this is the biggest mystery. Will let you all know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77692.html#msg77692

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I didn't realize Veteran's Day was date & war specific. . . one of my fav things about this site is all that one can learn. TY, BA  Smiley 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77699.html#msg77699

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:35:54 pm by Sue »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 01:49:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sue, it started out date and war specific....After all, Wilson promised us that World War I (the Great War as it was called at the time) was the War to End All Wars.......unfortunately, he was wrong.   WWII and the Korean Conflict came along and we had to change the name and the scope of the "holiday", but that was the origin.   Thats also why the paper poppies are distributed by the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars--they commemorate the "Poppies of Flanders Fields" (

Please Register or Login

http://www.cal-mum.com/poppy.htm
)......

(This hobby has turned a lot of people who were bored out of their skulls by high school history into history nuts, hasn't it?)
By the way, Memorial Day also started out as a commemoration of a specific war.   It was originally called Decoration Day and was a day when people would go out and decorate the graves of soldiers who had died during the Civil War......like Veteran's Day, it expanded to include those of all wars with Memorial Day commemorating those who served and died and Veteran's Day celebrating and thanking those who served and lived.

And now I guess it's time for me to give the thread back to the original topic......the mystery of the USS Cyclops  Cheesy

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77701.html#msg77701

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 06:06:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

I think BA as really hit the nail on the head with this one. The overloaded conditions of the vessel, Dangerous cargo, dangerous prisoners being transported from Rio, One engine faulty and perhaps was hit by a storm.

Here is a letter from the US Consul from Barbados that explains much.

Secretary of State
    Washington, D.C.
    April 17, 2 p.m.
    Department's 15th. Confidential. Master CYCLOPS stated that required six hundred tons coal having sufficient on board to reach Bermuda. Engines very poor condition. Not sufficient funds and therefore requested payment by me. Unusually reticent. I have ascertained he took here ton fresh meat, ton flour, thousand pounds vegetables, paying therefore 775 dollars. From different sources gather the following: he had plenty of coal, alleged inferior, took coal to mix, probably had more than fifteen hundred tons. Master alluded to by others as damned Dutchman, apparently disliked by other officers. Rumored disturbances en route hither, men confined and one executed; also had some prisoners from the fleet in Brazilian waters, one life sentence. United States Consul-General Gottschalk passenger, 231 crew exclusive of officers and passengers. Have names of crew but not of all the officers and passengers. Many Germanic names appear. Number telegraphic or wireless messages addressed to master or in care of ship were delivered at this port. All telegrams for Barbadoes on file head office St. Thomas. I have to suggest scrutiny there. While not having any definite grounds I fear fate worse than sinking though possibly based on instinctive dislike felt towards master.

LIVINGSTON, CONSUL.

The bottle incident is an interesting one. But maybe we should look at the question was World war One German submarines have the range cross the Atlantic and torpedo American shipping in 1918?

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg77748.html#msg77748

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

George_W_Worley.jpg

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:05:51 pm by hardluck »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: