[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline johnisraelaliyahTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello,
I and my family were at a group of meetings held by Stand Firm Ministries During the first week of February 2010.  This meeting lead by Kieth Miller and His wife as well as several guest speakers, evangelists etc from all over the country and the world.

Interestingly Kieth and His wife told us a unique story that recently they found a very blessed treasure.  As they travel they look for old Bibles and Christian Books and collect them and have began looking into the History of some of their finds.  This Bible in particular they researched the dates and notes and embossed name in the front and found that it was the identical match of the Evangelist that led Rev. Billy Graham to the Lord Jesus Christ.  They were very happy to have found this and truly considered it a treasure beyond the tangible value.

Thanks,
John Christopher and Family

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg71876.html#msg71876

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:56:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Its just a book  with a value of 6/8 bucks Max

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg71883.html#msg71883

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ah, but sometimes the value isn't in the paper itself, Seldom. Sometimes its in who held it last. Abraham Lincoln's personal Bible is still held and used for swearing in Presidents to this day. Any Bible will do the job but that one is priceless because of its original owner.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72140.html#msg72140

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:46:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

True statement.....proven provenance can make a world of difference in the value of anything---especially to a collector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72141.html#msg72141

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:53:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

True, Thank you for that reply, I have often checked out a book from the Library Titled Abraham Lincoln's Devotional.....and thought he wrote it for a long time until I read more carefully that this was the book (the one I read was a copy of course) he carried with himself with his Bible; and the words of this devotional seemed to just lift off the page with power and truth.

When I read some of the harder to find details of His life I was really impressed with the connection that He had with both Doing the Right Thing, and Willingness to Suffer even for doing so.

Thanks again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72143.html#msg72143

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:11:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Ah, but sometimes the value isn't in the paper itself, Seldom. Sometimes its in who held it last. Abraham Lincoln's personal Bible is still held and used for swearing in Presidents to this day. Any Bible will do the job but that one is priceless because of its original owner.

I know that GD I been buying and selling books for 25 years what I am saying is even with the provenance  it has little value.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72149.html#msg72149

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 05:31:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seeing that the subject of Bibles has come up heres an interesting story for you? In the 1850's an Archaeological dig was done at Bat Creek Kentucky or Mississipi, not sure now.  The interesting thing was a skeleton was found in a burial mound with an engraved stone under the head or skull.  For years many were unable to decipher the message until Alan Wilson saw a photograph of the stone.
The message read, "here lies Madoc the ruler he was".  Madoc turned out to be King Arthurs brother. The early Britons had just fought the Battle of Camlan when a Comet hit Britain setting it on fire from end to end.  Madoc was at sea with others in the fleet when a god almight storm blew up and the skies went black.  They kept sailing West and discovered America and they called it the otherworld.
Later Madoc returned to England told Arthur about this wonderful land they had discovered to which Arthur set about an expedition to take his people to this new found land as Britian was still unlivable.  Naturally the Britains intermingled with the native indians some married and had offspring.  These people were Christians and as such had their own Holy Bibles too.
Its strange that few people have researched the Welsh Speaking Indians that once was a proud tribe over there.
It was reported somewhere that these Indians did practice Christianity and also used Bibles.  These Bibles are very unique in so much as they were either written in Welsh or the Ancient Coelbren Alphabet.  Whoever finds one of these exceptionally rare books will not only have a very unique and rare piece of American History it could be priceless.  Something worth researching?   Now find one of these and you have found a real treasure. get hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72162.html#msg72162

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
I know that GD I been buying and selling books for 25 years what I am saying is even with the provenance  it has little value.

Intrinsic value, no, but the sentiment and the provenance can be something priceless to people. I once had a rather obscure book whose title I have forgotten that was owned by Martin Luther King. It sold at a Butterworth's auction for a "King's" ransom. Pun intended. He had inscribed it with a note to himself and Coretta. I paid a dollar for it at a thrift store.

Intrinsic value, less than a penny in pulp. Book value, probably a couple of dollars at best. Real value? I'm keeping that a secret but suffice it to say I could have bought a nice new, top of the line detector for what I got and still had enough for dinner out with my bride.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72389.html#msg72389

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 11:07:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All a matter of matching up the right item with the right buyer, correct?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72393.html#msg72393

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the reply, I have seen one of these in the Biblical Museum in Dallas that unfortunately burned down a few years ago and all was a total loss.  However, much of the details you showed were not included, as it was presented simply as a Missionary tool.  Thank you, I have looked into Bat Creek before and you might be interested in the inscriptions of the ten commandments dating back to the times of KING Solomon located in New Mexico.  Textbooks in today's market have something to do with Truth, but the biggest parts that reveal Truth are for the Searching Heard Rightly Lead to Find.  Imagine Jewish Orthodoxy living in This Country hundreds of years prior to Columbus Quest of the Lord GOLD, or G-D as he also put it.  Nevertheless, thank you because It is easy to see that many if not most of the Native of this Country lived more like Jesus (Yehushua) that those that drove them out or slay them in HIS NAME.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11212.msg72550.html#msg72550

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: