[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 04:21:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I wasn't trying to insinuate that wreck had anything to do with the treasure story by the way, just that it's easy for things to hide in plain sight on a beach  Smiley The wreck was not as old as archaeologists had hoped I remember, but I cannot recall the name either. I'll see if I can locate the book, I bought it for references to the lost Blue Bucket mine and this story was simply a bonus Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61612.html#msg61612

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I lived in the area for over 10 years and never heard the story about a wrecked spanish ship,I suppose there could have been one, but how did the story start? if the Spaniards survived the wreck , who would they have told? the natives in oregon did not know of gold and silver, they used salt and pretty shell's for trade,also dried salted fish was valuable for barter, they would not know of Dollars let alone 4000 of them, the Spanish did not use dollar's, and in the 1500's no one knew of dollars,they had not been in exsistance at that time.the Spaniards would have had to walk out ,there were no settlements in Oregon coast at that time, there were stories about them being in San Francisco around that time era , there were no rescue ships,and if there was they would have packed the treasure back with them. The native Americans had no interest in treasure,probably never even had a word for it,so how would they describe one? I am a realist,when told a story,I look at all the information first--then I look at the logic--I try to verify names, places ,time if those three dont add up I know its not probable. as far as legends go, I heard some whopper's, Paul Bunion-- Pecos Bill , ALL IN ALL by all means go look for your treasure,its a beautiful place in the summer,last thought, when I was a kid there ,some of the kids carved all kinds of symbols on the rocks on the beach,you will even find some of mine Ill bet, look for three horse shoes with an arrow through them. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ADVENTURE<WISH I COULD GO WITH YOU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61623.html#msg61623

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 06:08:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Alexander Henery of the Northwest Co. noted the tale in his journal in 1813-1814. The account starts on page 24 of the above link. It's a bit ponderous to navigate but in the upper left corner is a window allowing page selection.
Here is my little treasure map. This is where I found a marker stone wedged in the other rocks in the tide pools at Haystack Rock. I didn't know what it was when I found it and of course had no camera with me. Later I did some research into the rocks along the beach and found all the old treasure stories. I believe this rock is another of the mystery marker rocks.

Next summer I may venture back there to find it again. If you are there at negative tide have a look, but watch for the water as it's easy to get traped out there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61792.html#msg61792

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Haystack Rock treasure marker map.jpg

Offline Plexus77
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The treasure is suposed to be real, and people have searched for it for years. I have not heard of anyone finding any spanish swords, although I would be curious to find out. I have had an idea of the whereabouts of the treasure for years, but lack the time to look for it. Legend says it is marked by a big x, and I know where ths big x is.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg61989.html#msg61989

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Go for it, good luck, and happy huntin Grin.....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg62112.html#msg62112

Offline fstorm99
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 03:36:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

To my knowledge the Goonies movie was all pure fiction, but it is a proven fact in history that all legends have some basis in fact be that might be a miniscule amount it's always worth investigating especially if there is a potential treasure horde at stake.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg65177.html#msg65177

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 12:54:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is alot of great info! Even if this story isn't true, it is still a great movie! haha
It would be a great find if it was true though! I think many would be suprise to find out that a movie they grew up watching was based on something real that they never even thought twice about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg65623.html#msg65623

Offline TomBBTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 10:53:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Excuse me again,
In this realm that we (as researchers & diggers) walk all information is realistic (Sherlock). Remember, Those who say nay may be in on the pay. 

The Goonies Treasure is based from a real pirate treasure in Tillamook,Oregon. The story of a treasure hidden at low tide cave entrance to the treasure- the barbary coast and all.

Now, another story (yes, truth may be a hand full or a gain) lays a treasure buried in mid-stream (literally). In the same area, Tillamook coastal area, Pirates fell a tree across a stream, which diverted the stream away from its normal path. They then dug a money pit in the middle of the stream and buried the loot.

Never, ever, ever under estimate people with money or nay sayers.

welcome to the chase   Welcome

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg99352.html#msg99352

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TomBB
Excuse me again,
In this realm that we (as researchers & diggers) walk all information is realistic (Sherlock). Remember, Those who say nay may be in on the pay. 

The Goonies Treasure is based from a real pirate treasure in Tillamook,Oregon. The story of a treasure hidden at low tide cave entrance to the treasure- the barbary coast and all.

Now, another story (yes, truth may be a hand full or a gain) lays a treasure buried in mid-stream (literally). In the same area, Tillamook coastal area, Pirates fell a tree across a stream, which diverted the stream away from its normal path. They then dug a money pit in the middle of the stream and buried the loot.

Never, ever, ever under estimate people with money or nay sayers.

welcome to the chase   Welcome

and sometimes (often) the nay sayers are right......but, heck it's your chase and your choice   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg99385.html#msg99385

Offline lockspyder
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro,bounty hunter,
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sorry folks, there is no secret cave with entrance any where near there, I went to school there and played on the beaches there,there was no treasure ever buried there,was no pirates up there, there was a cargo ship that sank up there carrying wax,but that's not gold,please feel free to come up and search,stay in one of their beautiful campgrounds,there are nice motels there, a few good restaurants ----heaven knows they need the tourist dollar so bring lots of cash,and see if you can locate the old barber,he can spin a good yarn--and I believe he still cuts hair

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5565.msg99390.html#msg99390

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: