[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 05:33:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Well said BA!

But I think it may been some thing else that has rubbed BerntOut the wrong way. Wink

So Berntout you have spent time in Victorio Peak how interesting?

I am like BA interested in your inference of the Cache in the Caballo mountains may be connected to the Victorio peak legend?

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72003.html#msg72003

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 11:38:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bernt sorry if it annoys you. Appreciate the info you gave in the first part of your post. Most of us live far away from the site so its not like we can go view it ourselves, we just like mysteries. There are plenty of treasures close to home for me to hunt for, but sometimes when at a stump spot I like to poke at these legends just to refresh myself. If you enjoy that and want to share your firsthand knowlege we would all be interested I'm sure.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72069.html#msg72069

Offline IronHorse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

266.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett, Pro,Tesoro Deleon
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 01:48:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all. I have enjoyed the last few winters doing some "research" on some of the things that have been posted on these forums, when the ground is frozen and way too hard to dig.
News of Victorio Peak reached Ok. by the Daily newspaper and I tried to make copies of some of the articles that I saved. I'll try and pass them on as I can. They may be too hard to read, but I have the date of the Newspaper for references. Hopefully they will help to renew the spirit and stimulate the thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72227.html#msg72227

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Article1 .jpg
Article2.jpg

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Welcome Ironhorse

Thank you for the interesting post and attachments.

hardluck  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72230.html#msg72230

Offline BerntOut
Copper Member

Life is Good!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know why I added that last stupid statement in my diatribe regarding Victorio Peak. Must have been dippin into that Tequila bottle again!  Didn't want to ruffle any feathers but it looks like I did.
Many years ago while attending NMSU in Las Cruces, I spent all my free time wandering around the deserts around Southern NM. Fascinating place and that is why I chose to make it my home. Still wander around the deserts and still looking for and finding all kinds of interesting things.
Some friends and I one day while wandering around the eastern edges of the San Andreas Mountains, came up to an unlocked 3" pipe gate. It is funny as I remember the gate had crudely painted on it "Dave Berry is a dingle berry" or something very close to that. Later we were told by a rancher that Dave Berry was a Biologist who was studying the local mountain lion population. Unlocked gates used to mean pass through but leave things the way you find them. From the gate looking east was Hembrillo Canyon and Vicotrio Peak. I knew it was Victorio Peak but my buddies didn't know about the legend. We later confirmed using topo maps it was indeed Victorio Peak and Hembrillo Canyon. Beautiful place with water in the middle of a hellish desert. We had no idea it was off limits at that time. We went back many times exploring side canyons and VP all that summer and for a few more years. The only people we ever saw out there in the middle of nowhere was the rancher and a trapper...have a story about him  but won't get into that. One day we heard that some people had gone to the old Brutton (sp??) Ranch and had been busted by a Range Rider who notified MP's. I heard they had been stealing artifacts off Indian sites...bad juju. I knew exactly where they had been busted and the sites they had probably robbed. I have seen much Indian sign, arrow heads, literally tons of beads and pottery shards laying on a very large bulldozed Indian site. After that incident, I was told by the rancher that patrols were increased. I never went back into the area. Although I have been tempted as it is a wonderful isolated place to see and mostly BLM land.
My reference to the Caballo Mountains north of VP is some say Ness used VP as a "patsy" to trow off people trying to steal his dore bars. It has been said that Ness, who lived at the base of the Caballos in Hot Springs New Mexico, Now Truth or Concequences, found gold dore bars east of the Rio Grande River and adjacent to the Camino Real Trail or "Mission Trail" in the foothills of the Caballo Mountains. He is said to have told people he had found them at VP. There is much more to the story and I think most of it can be found on the internet. Start here   

Please Register or Login

http://www.tesoro-del-alma.com/legend.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72392.html#msg72392

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks BerntOut.   Appreciate your sharing the personal perspective and providing the lead.  Listening to my brother talk, he probably spent as much or more time disposing of really old dynamite than he did taking care of "official" ordinance while he was stationed at Alamogordo.  Even though I haven't been on the range, I've been on all 4 sides....it's an interesting area in a wild sort of way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72395.html#msg72395

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 12:25:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

After reading Bernts report and other research I have been doing I think its time to move our focus to the
Caballo mountains. I just got Treasure of Victoria Peak by Phil Koury. today will finish it to night but don't think there is much of use in it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72403.html#msg72403

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

BerntOut comments on the possibility of a connection with Cabello Mountains is a very plausible one. We do know Noss once lived near there.

But what intrigues me is that he must of had very little trust in his wife at least. Because for years she maintained Victorio peak was the treasure location? Ova Noss would of passed her information through the family in which Phil Koury became involved.

Perhaps Seldom enlighten me more on that?

And what of the alleged Military involvement?

This is one of things I enjoy about treasure legends. the complexity and characters that attach themselves to the story and trying sort out the fact from the fiction.

Good for my tired old brain matter to keep ticking over!

Hardluck  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72417.html#msg72417

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 09:49:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great stuff all and thanks Bernt for the details. It always amazes me when I find an oasis in the desert almost like another world.

Seldom I am totally with you on the location.

Hardluck I am guessing Ova wasn't really as keen on the outdoors. I think the story of her going was part of the ruse and Doc either didn't tell her the true location or she just confused it over time. Just my take on it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72454.html#msg72454

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2010, 11:30:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Personally, I don't think Doc was trusting of anyone.   It is entirely plausible that he found the loot in the Caballos, transported a very small part of it to VP, and then took Ova to VP so that she could be an unwitting collaborative witness to his misdirection.   (i.e. "Yes, it's at Victorio Peak.  I SAW Doc go up the mountain and go in a cave and come back out with a gold bar.  We weren't even any where near the Caballos!  What do you take me for, 'a liar'?")

That way if Ova ran her mouth off to the women in the beauty shop or the grocery store everyone would be looking in the direction Doc wanted them to look rather than where the gold really was.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg72478.html#msg72478

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Jump to: