[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bassman911Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 03:39:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Goldigger
Keep talking I am interested....

bassman

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38548.html#msg38548

kind regards

bassman

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 04:30:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

See what I mean Brian? To the uninitiated, the BS2 looks like a solution when in fact it is nothing more than a toy. There's not really enough RAM available to do any kind of look up table because most of that RAM will be taken up by program. I have a few BS2s, dozens of Basic Stamps and hundreds of PIC devices. As an electronic design engineer (now semi-retired) and former Microchip third party consultant, I would advise the young designer to skip over the BS2 when trying to use the device for complex tasks. Would I like to hear more? Consider this. In a world full of treasure hunters and metal detector users, what are the odds that someone else with a background in electronics has not already considered your intellectual ideas?

As to the BS2, RAM issues aside, there is also the concern of processing speed. The BS2 uses an interpretive language of BASIC. He would be past any target by a figurative mile before he got a meaningful analysis. Designers need to consider speed and not just processor clock speed in megahertz. You need native machine code running at processor speeds to get the job done. Doing it all with the BS2 is my objection. Use the 555 or some other device to do the hard slogging scut work of developing the basic frequencies, timing and gating. That is what I suggest. Use the BS2 only when you must and only for the right reason.

If he decides to use the BS2 to drive an LCD display, for example, he should use another along with the external timing and frequency devices to do the detecting and the target comparisons. Remember that a ring has an infinite number of positions relative to the coil in three dimensions. Same for a coin. Target mass and structure need to be considered as well. Just those two parameters put it outside of any look up table by any design standard.

This is a golden opportunity for you Bassman. If you like the PIC device and you like the simplicity of BASIC, consider getting a PIC BASIC Compiler and use a raw PIC. The compiler changes your code to maching language and native code making it considerably faster than the BS2. I like the CCS C Compiler myself. I prefer to code in C and export to machine code. There are two good PIC BASIC Compilers out there. Do a Google search for them and see what you come up with.

Brian, regarding a 4 bit word, it takes way too much BASIC code to process a 4 bit word. Just creating a mask and executing one more instruction to do it will cost about an inch if coil swing over the target. The cost here is measured in milliseconds but they do add up.

Best of luck with your project. To both of you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38551.html#msg38551

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:34:09 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:32:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;
You are stuck on that darn BS2, when I have been thinking PIC16C54A, at 4 or 20 mHz. The actual processor would not be a BS2.... its just an example, chill out! Ha. It still is worth doing because it can show the way for something improved.... you have to start somewhere: its called R  and D

I agree about the compiled VS assembled, the assembled WILL be much faster and take less memory space, also, what mask? You assign the pins, in the program, for i/out use and even re-assign within the program. Even I know that much about PICs.

I have been thinking, statistical programming, and let dumb circuitry do the fast stuff, for which it was designed.

What I was thinking, and it may be wrong, and needs to be tested, is that, using a pulse of say 5 or 10 cy of the VLF fundamental frequency, at a rate of about 100th (div fund by 10X10 or 1000) there will be additional odd harmonics, generated, in the ground, by the pulse. The ground metal content should produce increased strength of SOME of the harmonics, like little antennas, if you like.... these harmonics MAY indicate differing metals and certainly should show size. If this not so, then how can PI work?

It would be easy enough to capture the appropriate harmonics, with a PLL, but first amplifying proportionately. Using the lock pin, of an LM567 (my fav) and an inverter, will give one bit; 4, spaced, harmonics, give 4 bits.

All receivers would be identical except for the frequency determining cap and fit to a header and plug in.

One preamp would feed the proportional amps (MC1350s, have lots of variable gain- good to 100 mHz), and the fundamental frequency could be used without gain, being the strongest, thus bit 1.

I have some rough designs drawn up, in front of me (and in my head,) the electronics would produce 16 conditions, for a small processor to manage; as for speed, until its working, and you want to rebuild (for 8 bits?), you have to process the ground a bit slower. Never say CANT, to me... I will go ahead and do it anyway! Ha.

Bassman, if you want the diagrams, I will reorganize them on my desktop, which has a good  program that puts Paintshop Pro to shame, for drafting! But I can send them directly to you, as an HTML email... no attachments, this way.

Try emailing me directly.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38586.html#msg38586

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:33:57 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Brian,we have to stop agreeing like this. First, I will clarify that I am not discouraging anyone from trying something out but look back to the original question and YOU chill out. I was giving Bassman some sage and sane advice (he asked for it) about the BS2 and somehow you leaped in with some good but irrelevant to the discussion ideas which you thoughtfully posted here.

To Bassman, go ahead and play around but do try and use dedicated components for some of the constants in the circuit. The BS2 just will not do it all and will disappoint you in the end. Try a higher end microcontroller instead. There are much better devices out there.

What we need to do is go to SourceForge and set up a collaborative project where all of the things an ideal metal detector could do would be listed. SourceForge is not private so perhaps another place would be better; something password protected and open by invitation. Then, the ideas you are having could be discussed among the people who can design such things. What you are discussing has been tried and tested, Brian. The basic concept was used in military radar first; a monopulse resolution enhancement receiver which would receive various frequencies and decode the results giving a radar return that could literally show a 3D image of aircraft and even determine the type of paint on the plane.

To do something like that in the frequencies that we discuss for metal detection in the earth would take a lot of time for switching. You know that huge PONG sound you get when you turn on your detector? That's the circuits all being turned on at once. Some detectors blank out that signal so some do not hear it but it still happens as the circuits tune and balance. Imagine doing that and switching between a half dozen or so frequencies to use that as target ID. Your coil would be in the next Zip Code before a response was analyzed. Yes, I mentioned the FFT and you know why. The spectrum of the return (the various harmonics) can be analyzed in as few as 14 machine cycles with the right processor and an FFT subroutine. It is also much easier to do than switching frequencies and analyzing each result. Easier in computing terms.

I maintain that this discussion has gone to the point at which it is impractical to discuss it here. We have moved into the domain of engineering and design; speculative and established. It is well and truly beyond the scope of the original question of "Has anyone tried designing a BS2 detector?" and into the world of very difficult circuitry. We should have mercy on the casual passers by or their brains will explode.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38589.html#msg38589

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:32:35 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 12:32:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Actually, this conversation MAY be useful, but FFT? Switching frequencies? I never initiated those subjects, although useful, I said /dumb circuitry working in parallel/, (almost instantaneous- at 10 kHz, 10 cy = 1 millisec,) then process the binary result with a lookup.

Even a PIC16C54A works fast, at 4 or 20 mHz (how many cy for a lookup, and how much time is this, at  4 mHz? 20 mHz??) Unfortunately, the ones I have, which are OTP, work at 4 mHz, only, so I would use a 16F84A....  FFT is a whole different ball of wax!

I dont know Sound Forge, and I dont FEEL the need to do that, so if I go anywhere, its to plain email, and save my emails, however, anything we stick on here (what it was designed for, right?) could provide help and/or incentive for someone else... perhaps THEY have some ideas to contribute.

If anything comes out of this, I would like to see it /public domain/ which allows individuals to retain rights to their intellectual property.

Maybe I should have selected the user name of MADDOG?? (Humor/humour is essential!)

Want to to talk about some other detection processes, too? Could be useful.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38690.html#msg38690

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:15:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, every metal that enters a magnetic field reacts differently based on mass, molecular content and shape. Believe it or not, shape has the least effect. Molecular content and mass have about equal effect. The easiest way to determine the signature of the object in a magnetic field is to use a Fast Fourrier Transform analysis from the return spectrum after subtracting the original spectrum. That is why I refer to the FFT as the solution. Yes, I brought it up because the original questioner implied that he wanted to determine his target before digging.

If an FFT was the ultimate solution by itself, I would be a happy man but it is not and that is where additional research is necessary. Such factors as two metal objects in proximity, depth, soil condition, soil mineralization and even temperature can effect the result of an FFT analysis. Any one of those tasks is beyond the capability of the BS2 and most other processors as they come from the manufacturer. I have done years and years of research on this subject for my own personal use with an intent to future profits, of course. I have volumes of notebooks and waveform pictures from my spectrum analyzer along with piles of circuitry built and tested. The "pie in the sky" is not going to be easy to reach but the path so far has had some very funny and rewarding moments.

When I suggested SourceForge, it was about the premise behind the site, not the site itself. This forum is a good place to discuss things like this but to be honest, I see most of this discussion getting the <IGNORE> button by a lot of people here because of the complexity. A private area where collaboration and ideas can be exchanged without rancor is the ideal solution. I am looking towards setting up such a place. Bear with me as I am quite busy these days. When it is ready, you are on the top of my list to invite.

You also asked a while back about using BASIC for the Stamp in a PIC16C54 and the answer is no. Parallax used every byte of available ROM inside the PIC to store their interpreter. They use external RAM to execute the program interpretively. If you could find a Basic Stamp compatible compiler, the code could be used and it would be much, much faster. There are PIC Basic compilers out there that are close and you could certainly rewrite the code to be compatible. Using any one of the Flash PIC devices would make your applications scream and you would be able to reprogram it without having to erase it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38693.html#msg38693

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 01:30:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

I did not know and have never used the ignore button, it just never occurred to me that I should be able to ignore, other than not speak up, at all.... an ignore button is redundant.

As for the rest, I havent done years of research into FFT, therefore I have no confidence in it, of course, and I do not have space, time or resources, to play with it. To me, it has too many IFs and  no proven merit, so I have persued other leads.

Incidently, its only noon, here, and I just got orders to eat, so I have to tear myself  away (great fun!)

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38694.html#msg38694

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 01:51:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You do not need years of research into FFT. It is only a math formula executed on the spectral return of a waveform. It works. That is why metal detectors use it. However, as I mentioned, there are outside influences that render it less than accurate. Less so than just looking at a waveform on an oscilloscope. Which, by the by, when viewed on an oscilloscope is already transformed by an FFT. The true, raw waveform of the return is far different than what you see.

How was lunch? It is not even breakfast time here yet - 03:50 on Wednesday here. I have always been an early riser.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38696.html#msg38696

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 04:23:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

2:55PM Pacific Standard time, and we never go on daylight saving so in winter, we are Mountain Standard. yesterday, my day started at 4 AM, was on the web, went to a funeral (you would think, by the spelling, it should be fun) 50 miles away, came home and went on the web again! Too much webwork.

Roast pepper chicken, beef and cheese, all in one sangwidge! It was even toasted.

Well, I was good at math, in school but never learned calculus and HATED geometry, even though I use it unconciously, every day.

It comes down to farmer type and hunter type... a farmer type plods through EVERYTHING until he has learned all there is to learn (or declares there is no more to learn), a hunter type takes what he wants, when he needs it, and leaves the rest. Im a  hunter type... I never had to study, in school so never learned how, thus I am still learning to study, at 69.

I dont want to know about FFT, with all the code, available, I dont need to. Lots of the math stuff, I learned in school, I dont need to do, my computer can do it, with a few key pokes. Darn computers have made me lazy.

About Basic: the old fashioned kind. I can write a small program, in Basic and assemble it into an EXE.... then its fast. It doesnt have to remain in the interpreted form. Even my old Commodore can do that, they called it p-code

However, when you get into such wierdness, all the fun goes out of metal detecting.... Im more interested in end results than processes (hunter attitude.)

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38708.html#msg38708

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 05:55:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

But Brian, it happens to be guys who have the notions that drive the engineers to design stuff. Seriously. The better mouse trap and all that.

The desire to figure out what is in the ground is what drove the target ID revolution in detectors. I wonder sometimes how many coffee cups were emptied during those discussions over the past 40 or more years. And pinpointing? And target depth? And now, true target ID that is not simply a guess.

I want a 4 ounce machine that has a little 3D TV mounted on the handle that shows me a picture which I can then electronically scan around a buried object to see what it is. Shall I order you one too?

Lunch sounds great. Nearly 08:00 here and time for breakfast.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38724.html#msg38724

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: