[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline capnrichTopic starter
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've got another question for the group. After starting out in this hobby, I've come up with a few more questions. I've got the Ace250 with the standard coil and the larger coil. I dug many targets and found it cumbersome to dig, then rescan while kneeling to find the target. Started holding the plug across the coil, this helped alot(see, I'm learning!), then rescanning the hole if it wasn't in the plug.
I'm eventually going to get both items, but have to watch the spending. Should I get a pinpointer first or the smaller Snipercoil. I'm mainly coinshooting for now, and the coins I dug looked alot like the dirt they were in! The penny was there, I just didn't see it right away. The ProPointer looks like a time saver.
Any suggestions? Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg27873.html#msg27873

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well, to be honest I think you don't need a pin pointer. Just dig a hole removing earth untill you have dug up the target. I mean until it is no longer inside the hole but inside the heap of earth you just removed. Then divide the heap into two parts or grab the earth with your hand and move it over your coil till you got the target inisde your hand. Once you are more expirienced you can easly pin point it with your machine and grab it immediately. Or build one of these:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/cgi-bin/thunting/pages/go.cgi?go=do-it-yourself/probe/index.shtml

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg27879.html#msg27879

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline mikewaz
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher 1266 X, Fisher F75, Garrett ProPointer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:48:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

I gotta tell you, get yourself a Pro-Pointer.

I've been at this hobby for roughly 20 years, and finally broke down and bought one last Friday. I used it the next day, and I immediately kicked myself for not getting one sooner. Of course, the Garrett model is fairly new, and if it was available years ago I probably would've gotten one.

The Garrett is light, runs for 30+ hours on a 9 volt, is sensitive at the both the tip and side (different response if the coin is off to the side), and it's built like a friggin tank.

You'll love it!
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28278.html#msg28278

Please Register or Login

Detector Deals of the Day

Offline waterrat
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites V3i,DFX, MXT, Surf PRO P.I. GMT. Tesoro Cortes, Deleon, Tejon, Vaquero, Lobo supertrack
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
You need to get a pinpointer right away. Dont skimp. Save your money and buy a good one. check the warrenty. Everybody has their own opinon. Watch the size of the unit big ones are to cumberson. I have used Sunray, Detector pro, Viberphone, Vmax, but i still use a Whites BulleyeII But they have problems to. But Whites stands behind there products. Do research on the site's to find pro's and con's of each. The small coil is great for those trashy areas like parks. If you have been using the standard coil in trash wait till you get a small coil to hear between the targets and go slower swing. The detector needs more time to recover from discrim out trash. Good luck and happy digging!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28350.html#msg28350

Offline capnrichTopic starter
Bronze Member

I'm hungry like the wolf...
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250, GTI 2500, ProPointer, kneepads
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 12:47:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to check out the pinpointers. I realized the value of having one when I was digging my plugs. I'd wave the plug next to the coil, then I'd have to either stand back up and sweep the hole or try and one-hand the detector over the hole, and then maybe dig alittle more around the edges. Those pennies(looking like dirt) were staring me in the face, and I still didn't see them for a couple minutes, feeling thru the dirt! I think a pinpointer will be very helpful for a novice like me! Thanks everyone!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28358.html#msg28358

I'm hooked on Thunting!

Offline mikewaz
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher 1266 X, Fisher F75, Garrett ProPointer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:13:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You won't regret it.

I finally realized what a goof I was after watching friends get down only one time and coming up with their target. Me, I'd cut a D-shaped plug, get back up and sweep it with my coil, sweep the hole and pinpoint again, dig a little deeper, grab a handful of dirt and run it in over the coil, get back up and check the hole again, etc.. Now this didn't happen every time, because I can pinpoint a dime at 6", but occasionally there'd be a tricky one laying on its side, or I moved it when I cut the plug.

I like the Garrett because of it's small size, light weight, build quality, water resistance and 2 year warranty, but do your own homework to find the one you'll be happy with. I'm not trying to shove this model down your throat, I just want you to know how thrilled I am with mine.

Happy Hunting!
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28380.html#msg28380

Please Register or Login

Detector Deals of the Day

Offline Jerry-Wi
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Grand Master Hunter, Garrett Master Hunter 7
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Definately get a pinpointer.  It saves lots of time and once you get used to it you can use a screwdriver instead of digging for coins near the surface and just pop them out.  Much faster than cutting a plug.

Jerry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28382.html#msg28382

Offline montepollock
Pull Tab

Loyalty and Honor
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

eagle 2,eagle spectrum,fisher 1236x2
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been a detectorist for 30+years and started using a pinpointer about 4 years ago,now wouldn,t be without one. I have sometimes dug 3-4 nails out of 4"hole before finding coin(no disc in PP). I like the whites bullseye,but have made several using the"little wizard nailfinder) and piece of 18"pvc pipe can probe under foundations,etc.The wizard cost about 20.00 but don,t know if still available but many others would work with or without mods.
HH,Mont

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28825.html#msg28825

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you have a PI detector you just change your coil for a pinpointer as Ihave described before . Why buy a different unit ?  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28830.html#msg28830

Offline Bud
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab-XT17000/Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:13:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Capnrich,

IMHO, you DEFINITELY should eventually get both. Also you should DEFINITELY get a pinpointer first. Better recovery, faster recovery and you should never have a hole with a 'ghost' target, you know, the targets where you dig and dig and there is nothing in the hole. Many times your detector pinpoint will 'lie' to you if a coin is oriented off to the side (almost on edge, throwing the return signal sideways). With a pinpointer you can scan the hole sides and pick them out in a heartbeat.

Most cheap pinpointers only give about a half inch depth (I have three or four of those). Garrett's reads three or so inches. DetectorPro's 'UniProbe' reads down to nearly six inches and can be had with a set of headphones that are compatible with your detector but no reading on your detector. I use the Sunray probe on both my Minelab machines and would not be without it. The Sunray is detector-connected and reads three to four (according to sens.) inches while giving the detector tones in your headphones AND showing the reading on your detector screen. What I am saying is; the hole is open, the probe is in and you hear the correct tone in your headphones AND see the correct VDI # or crosshair location on the detector screen. No other probe does this. The Sunray's are made for most top-line machines. I'm not sure if they make it for the 'Ace'.

Bud

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4198.msg28842.html#msg28842

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:19:05 pm by Bud »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: