[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline largebear
Pull Tab

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Paul A
Hi,
DONT waste your money.
I had one of them apart a few years back for a guy who bought one off ebay that didn't work.
The electronics in them are a pile of do nothing trash (except a LOT of short circuits).
Total value component cost ...... about a fiver.
You could try "dowsing" instead (although I'm sceptical about that) .. same thing but a whole lot cheaper!

If you are thinking of spending that sort of money, you would be much better off buying a real top of the line detector....... something like a Minelab Etrac.

In a word.... "Snakeoil"

Thanks Paul--I'll bear your advice in mind. Still it doesn't answer how these 2 guys near Harrogate were getting results I saw with my own 2 eyes???
Mebbe its some form of fancy dowsing--but I am forever a sceptic!!
Bear

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg26815.html#msg26815

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 03:09:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by largebear
Thanks Paul--I'll bear your advice in mind. Still it doesn't answer how these 2 guys near Harrogate were getting results I saw with my own 2 eyes???
Mebbe its some form of fancy dowsing--but I am forever a sceptic!!
Bear

re reading your post I think you answered your own question.
They found their targets using conventional metal detectors.
My guess is that if there was 1 hammered on that field, theres bound to be more!
I would go back to that field and search the bits they left!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg26828.html#msg26828

Offline dowser501
Copper Member

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%

584.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 05:01:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If an Elecroscope could find a gold coin a handspan distant the salesman would buy the machine himself. They are sometimes accidently used as dowsing wands with some success. A welding rod would not be so cumbersome. Max

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg26846.html#msg26846

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you358

Activity
12%
Male
Australia

6115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i would like to try.you never know.it may work for me too Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg28961.html#msg28961

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 04:49:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Those two guys at Harrogate were probably salesmen . They knew where the targets were . So simple to fool people !!!!   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg28962.html#msg28962

Offline largebear
Pull Tab

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 03:53:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Back again on the LRL question!!!
I have spent the past week metal detecting in Hungary & Slovakia with a few current and some new friends .
Would you believe one of the new guys from Sweden had an LRL!!!
He was quite open about it, and I stayed with him most of a whole day.  He has had it nearly a year and is still learning--he says.
primarily he uses it to scope land he has not been able to get permission to search on and sciopes from over the fence so ro speak.
One morning he used it after folk in a restaurant had told us of a gold bracelet lost by a Grandma in a field nearby when picking commercialy grown flowers.
He scoped the field 5/6 times, and suggested he got what he called a "tug" from one area.  He moved 90 degrees East and scoped again.  He confirmed a second "tug"!!!
Using stickes we lined up the route of the tug and where the 2 lines converged.
Detectors out, and in 2 minutes we had a crying Grandma, and a bracelet slightly damaged by probably a kind of commercial mowing machine in past years.
I saw it work!!

Now sceptics--Just tell me why the H*** that happened.??
  We got 2 bottles of Champagne for our trouible!!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg29841.html#msg29841

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmmm .............
You wouldn't have found it without the detector though!
Personally, I think I may just buy a few empty boxes, pack them with junk circuitry, making sure of course that there are a few shorts (to run the batteries down from time to time) and sell them on at a huge profit................
Wanna buy one?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg29857.html#msg29857

Offline Dell_Winders
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male

2355.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 09:30:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Clapp Kudo's largebear, for finding the lady's bracelet.

With Paul's attitude he may not have been as considerate to try to help. I would be skeptical of finding the bracelet myself if I didn't have the aid of  an LRL, and I looked out over the field and realized the time, and work  involved for me  to cover every inch of the field to find the bracelet with my metal detector alone.

I'm no fan of Electroscope, but I am an MFD user, and I hope Paul & Cornelius will be forgiving of our human fault, and secret  reason for using LRL's  to aid us instead of metal detectors alone.  LRL users are  "Lazy".

I speak for myself. Dell

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg29876.html#msg29876

"WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, CAN BE DONE"

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:00:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dell,
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone using an LRL if they Think it works for them.
What I do have a problem with is people getting ripped off.
I've had an "Electroscope" apart.
I've tried one out ....... it couldn't find a gold chain at 2 inches let alone 2 miles or whatever.
There is NO circuitry in there that will do anything at all except flatten the batteries.
If these things work, let's just ask a few simple questions.

Why so expensive? total component cost can't be more than a few dollars at most.
Probably the phsycology that says "The more Expensive it is the more secret stuff is inside" - Dilithium crystals anyone?...........

Why, if they work so well, didn't the inventor(s) keep it a secret and just "clean up" with it?
They would be very rich by now.

Why is there no international or even national patent on an LRL? (Presumably because you have to prove that it actually works!)

Where is the proven Physics behind one of these things?

Where is the guarantee that if it doesn't work you get your money back?
Would you buy a detector with no guarantee?

I would urge anyone who wants to try lrl'ing just to use a couple of wire coat hangers bent into "dowsing" rods.
There again, I'm sceptical about dowsing.
But it'll be a whole lot cheaper than putting your hard earned cash into some "snake oil" merchants back pocket.
I've no knowledge of what an "MFD" is so I can't comment on that one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg29886.html#msg29886

Offline largebear
Pull Tab

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 04:53:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Paul A
Hmmm .............
You wouldn't have found it without the detector though!
Personally, I think I may just buy a few empty boxes, pack them with junk circuitry, making sure of course that there are a few shorts (to run the batteries down from time to time) and sell them on at a huge profit................
Wanna buy one?

Paul A    I take your point--I agree we would not have found the gold bracelet and made a Granma very happy without "standard" metal detectors, used only "at the death"!
HOWEVER--we would not have found the area of the field Grandma lost the bracelet without this LRL--thingy either...!!
Grandma didn't know down to even 100 metres/yards in which row of flowers she had last been aware of the bracelet, nor did she remember where she was when she saw it had gone from her wrist!!--and it was Years Ago ( quote!)
So did we set out and metal detect the field, on a warm day, in the sun, no beer, field mebbe 600 metres /yards long by the same or a tad more wider??
No my new Swedish mate, got his kit out and went walkies!!!   He got what he said was a "tug" along a line--then later he got a second "tug" . We did the Math, laid the sticks out, walked the line ( a la late Johnny Cash!) and got the detectors out and searched an area mebbe 5 yards square.  Bingo!! I actually found the bracelet with my machine.  That feeling damn near made me want to change my breeches!!!
Yes-- I am probably coming down on the side of " LRL's  do something we ain't figgered out yet --something that some folks who know a lot more about the techncical side of things than me may just have hit on --perhaps by accident or the lucky close association of being able to dowse and using a form of LRL at the same time."
I just don't know yet.
Mebbe there is a form of science out there which we dont all know about yet!!
Cell fones/mobile fones would have worked in the 13th century---if men had had the technology to use the available natural phenomena used by cell phone electronics.
Mebbe we are just knocking on a door that someone just has to shove open to get LRLs up and away.

I admit my judgement has been altered by actually finding that old Grandma's bracelet--I was" gob-smacked" as folk say hereabouts. That experience was TOO MUCH of a good thing just to be a lucky sweep of a detector in a commercial field used for flower growing---or the damn field is full of broken bracelets!!!---lets NOT go down that route!!!

Dell, I am sending you a pm

Largebear

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,2911.msg29890.html#msg29890

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: