[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 02:35:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Zero discrimination. Always.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42575.html#msg42575

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 05:22:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Sounds OK but what about magnetite EVERY where?

I wont be finding nuggets, there aren't any, what I will be looking for is concentrations of magnetite, around boulders. Still say no discrimination?

goldigger (Brian)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42588.html#msg42588

goldigger

Offline SVBerry
Copper Member

To hunt for treasure is to find self.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sea Hunter Mark II
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 08:40:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

That sounds like a place for a beach box sluice instead of a metal detector. The GPAA use them up in Nome, Alaska on the beaches because of all the black sand.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42618.html#msg42618

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
GoldDigger1950;

Sounds OK but what about magnetite EVERY where?

I wont be finding nuggets, there aren't any, what I will be looking for is concentrations of magnetite, around boulders. Still say no discrimination?

goldigger (Brian)

No discrimination. Ever.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42646.html#msg42646

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 05:52:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

What is the use of having discriminate?? I never use it anyway! There you go.

Actually, I got into metal locators with the view to finding nuggets.... haven't found any, yet. I found, at a a nugget bearing creek..... in the middle of no where...... a spark plug, a front wheel bearing dust cover cup, and a wheel nut. No pull tabs nor bottle tops.

I got several targets too deep to dig out of the hard packed gravel.... they must have been nuggets.

I didn't use discriminate either.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42843.html#msg42843

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 02:41:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, I once had a sort of warbling double blip target when I was discriminating. It sounded kind of big but still registered as trash. A bit confused, I dug it anyway after I went to the All Metal mode. Turned out it was a piece of a lawn mower blade. A chunk about 5 inches long broken from the end. It had that little upturn that blades have. Out of habit, I passed my coil over the hole and got another signal. Oops. Back to discriminate and it vanished. Off again and I located and dug a man's 18k, 6 diamond ring - size 13. Total diamond weight, 1.5 carats.

For me, it was lesson learned. Never again would I discriminate. I've never looked back. Even in harsh soil, as you asked about, I don't. Besides, soil isn't something you can compensate for with discrimination. Ground balance is not discrimination.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42903.html#msg42903

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Teddi14
Love Treasure Hunting & Detecting in MI
Pull Tab

I have always loved finding treasure
Love Treasure Hunting & Detecting in MI
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 5

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

3010/GC-1010 Metal Detector (Generic I think.  I got from Ebay)
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 03:05:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very interesting conversation about using the discriminate.  I just ran into a seasoned detectorist last week and he said the same thing....NEVER discriminate!  Dig it all up. 

Also, I just wonder if the man's ring was some how related to the mower blade...maybe a missing finger. Devil

I just LOVE all the great advice everyone gives on here.  So basically I don't need to learn how to properly use my discriminate feature at all right?   Should I just learn the discrimate the sound of the different tones when hitting a target?

Teddi

Please Register or Login

http://www.squidoo.com/teddi

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42912.html#msg42912

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:08:34 pm by Teddi14 »

Teddi

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Teddi14
Very interesting conversation about using the discriminate.  I just ran into a seasoned detectorist last week and he said the same thing....NEVER discriminate!  Dig it all up. 

Also, I just wonder if the man's ring was some how related to the mower blade...maybe a missing finger. Devil

No bones were found.  Grin

Quote:Posted by {author}
I just LOVE all the great advice everyone gives on here.  So basically I don't need to learn how to properly use my discriminate feature at all right?   Should I just learn the discriminate the sound of the different tones when hitting a target?

There is a time and place for everything. My Minelab Eldorado Mark II has no discrimination at all being designed for the goldfields. Thus, I never, ever use it when I use that machine because it doesn't exist on it. My Bounty Hunter, on the other hand, does have it but I turn it off preferring to hunt in the all metal mode. When my wife uses it, she discriminates like a mad dog because she hates digging trash with a passion. Works for us because I follow behind her and dig the treasure she misses. I'm kind though. I never mention it. I just show her my finds and she's clueless that I found her rejects.

When I use the Bounty Hunter, I do so in the tone discriminate mode and, as you noted, that may be the best way to go. I still dig everything but play a mental game in my head as I dig. "That sounded like a 5c piece," runs through my mind as I dig and see what it is. I get better and better at it but am always amazed and amuses at what I would have missed had I used the discriminate mode.

I only wish someone had told me all this 30 years ago. Can I have a "do over" please? Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42916.html#msg42916

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 04:02:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I do  discriminate ,But it depend's where I am park hunting yes relic hunting no ,,,,
Park's you pretty much have to ,, where I live they are trashy all metal mode would drive me nut's ,, it has not stopped me from finding 18 ring's so far ,,,Basically find what work's best for you 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42920.html#msg42920

Offline lemTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 07:37:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Teddi
              I do not use much discrimination eighter, been at it since 1974, when bfo;s were the norm. Now the different sounds are most important, yes do learn them. I can tell you with a whites model it is paramount. I use a whites and a garrett. when you use no discrimation the sound is very important , mostly the sounds are always important no matter what mode you have pre set. I for one like to dig just about everything. But keep in mind where you are hunting, parks will generally be very littered so you might want to use some level of discrimante. So I mostly use my sounds to determin if I want to dig it up. Now get me to a very old park or an old house or field, I will dig 70-80% of my hits. I have dug up jewerly that the meter said was junk, but the sound was right.

Mel

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg42972.html#msg42972

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: