[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gustavus
Yes the Princeton and Tullameen areas are interesting, Some of the guys I know from Hedley dig around the roots of trees along the river and are finding some good sized gold flake.

The only thing I ever found in Keromeos was a rattle snake and it scared the hell out of me, I was hauling scrap cars and there was a pile of old rims I was throwing inside the car for weight, under a nice warm rim was this big snake.

When ever I come across large snakes in the Okanagan I don't care if it's a rattler or a harmless bull snake I keep my distance.

Sorry I could not help you make contact with your friend. You might make a telephone call to Rod Montcreft AKA Patch he's a long time resident of Hedley. He owns the large building with all the old junk laying about and he has a pottery shop inside where he make clay pipes for the addicted.

Have you ever been up the Hedely creek to visit the Monk who was living in one of the old mine tunnels.

I will put that name in my lil black book.... If I get down there, next year of two, I will look him up!

I never heard about the monk, that seems likely, somehow.

My dad worked at the Nickel-Plate, above Hedley town, during its last incarnation, about 1954-55, so he had some stories to tell, about it and I used to have a chunk of the ore, but *they* say 2 moves are equal to a house fire, so I have no idea if I still have that piece.... full of gold it was!

There is a nice big B&W photo, of a number of miners, in the Hedley museum, with him sitting in the foreground. Also, between 1906 and 1910, my grandpa freighted, in that area, things like steam boilers, to the mines. So I kind of have a familial connection to the area, from Princeton to Fort Steele.  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg54339.html#msg54339

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:27:44 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline gustavus
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gary PI
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

About six years back, I picked some nice ore from around an old mine they call the Frenchman, as you heading up to Nickel Plate there's a road off to the right on the east side of the mountain looking towards Kereomeos. Rumor has it the shafts go clear through the Mt to the Hedley side.

The mine is a neat place to explore, you have to crawl over a few cave in where  the ceiling let go, some of the rooms are as big as stadiums maybe even larger.

Anyhow I had a small ball mill and milled the ore then smelted it, I got a nice silver colored button long ago lost, not sure what it was as I knew squat about testing minerals or precious metals at the time.

In addition the the ball mill, I now have a small 3 HP hammer mill.

Still know squat but have joined the goldrefiningforum.com a forum that covers all aspects of refining precious metals be it from karat jewelry or scrap electronics.

Myself I'm doing a bit of both, this lead me to wanting a metal detector and decided to build Gary's PI over the winter months.

Be sure to look up Rod in Hedley, everyone knows him. And he's retired so he is home most every day and welcomes visitors anytime day or night. The pit bulls won't bother you, they're so used to people coming and going.

Rod has a collection of re[tiles ( Snakes ) which bother me more than the dogs.

Best Regards
Gill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg54344.html#msg54344

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2009, 09:36:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gustavus
About six years back, I picked some nice ore from around an old mine they call the Frenchman, as you heading up to Nickel Plate there's a road off to the right on the east side of the mountain looking towards Kereomeos. Rumor has it the shafts go clear through the Mt to the Hedley side.

The mine is a neat place to explore, you have to crawl over a few cave in where  the ceiling let go, some of the rooms are as big as stadiums maybe even larger.

Anyhow I had a small ball mill and milled the ore then smelted it, I got a nice silver colored button long ago lost, not sure what it was as I knew squat about testing minerals or precious metals at the time.

In addition the the ball mill, I now have a small 3 HP hammer mill.

Still know squat but have joined the goldrefiningforum.com a forum that covers all aspects of refining precious metals be it from karat jewelry or scrap electronics.

Myself I'm doing a bit of both, this lead me to wanting a metal detector and decided to build Gary's PI over the winter months.

Be sure to look up Rod in Hedley, everyone knows him. And he's retired so he is home most every day and welcomes visitors anytime day or night. The pit bulls won't bother you, they're so used to people coming and going.

Rod has a collection of re[tiles ( Snakes ) which bother me more than the dogs.

Best Regards
Gill

I am sure I know the mine referred to, I have never been there but considered it once. Such mine crawling can be very dangerous!

Silvery button?? I do know the Nickel-plate ore had a high content of nickel, BUT, if you smelt it, does the nickel dissolve in the lower temperature molten metal? Such as some, like silver, do, in copper? Interesting.

What are the old camps like? Any possibilities for bottles?

3hp hammer mill.... I presume that is much different than an agricultural hammer mill? Do yo mean a stamp mill? And where did you acquire that, and how many millions did it set you back??

I recently had an idea that required a small stamper, just an idea, which I do not know if I want to pursue or not. Still, it would be useful to know where to get one and how many $$$ , if I did want to persue the idea.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg54388.html#msg54388

goldigger

Offline Gardinerda
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are all going to turn me into a bottle hunter!  I let a man hunt in our old bottle dump, he left the site a MESS!  So, he has been "banned"...maybe I should go and dig there, and see what I find?  He said he had just started, his bottles that he dug were mostly in the 1815 period.  BUT, he left so much broken glass and stuff on the surface, he won't be back.  Think there are a couple more in the same area as this one is.  (House built in 1807).  I plan to do detecting, but guess I'll try bottle hunting, maybe.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg75601.html#msg75601

Offline lemTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well good deal to ban him from your dump,  when I dig old bottles, I always take unwanted ones away with me and turn them in on trash day for recycle. Just as when I metal detect I take away all junk I have dug up.  Broken glass left behind can be a real bad deal for the next digger, or for any farm animals that might be on site, might call it a band aid moment. I have also seen some real messed up digs by others, that is what makes it hard for others to get permission to enter a site.

lem

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg76333.html#msg76333

Offline Out4gold
It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Bronze Member

It's a rock on the ground, it's a specimen when you take it home.
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2835.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2010, 08:33:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

Off Topic
We sort of got off track didn't we.
Let's get back on the bottle dumps.
My friend and I just went this weekend "Sat" and found collectively 57 marbles nothing rare or unusual but I did manage a small poison and an airplane candy bottle.
I quit keeping the larger bottles unless they are rare. I do keep most of the perfume bottles. I may have enough duplicates to make a Bottle chess set soon.
I'll post some pics tomorrow. I also found what may be either a glass door knob or a gear shift knob. We have found several before but none intact.
You'll see what I mean when you take a look.

Till next time should be tomorrow.

Out4gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg76937.html#msg76937

Out4gold
AKA:Bone2stone

Offline lemTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy out4gold,
 sounds like a good dump ya have going on, what color was the poison? I am addicted to medicine bottles. I have dug hundreds of bottles but not a poison yet. Now the marbles excite me a lot , I collect marbles, only found 4 from digging into dumps though. Have found a lot in the old duct pipeing in old abandoned houses, or ones I am remodeling. I find a lot of bottles under old houses also, found 2 last week.

lem
Spokane,washington

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg79708.html#msg79708

Offline GaCracker
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2010, 08:52:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I always wanted to "bank detect" Is the best places around old home sites along the rivers or do you just hunt a section at the time?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg94039.html#msg94039

Offline lemTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret and whites
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hey Cracker,

Home sites along rivers are my favorite sites, i usually find more glass than anything else, although i do find a lot of coins also. I try to figure out where these folks spent time on the rivers, water activities where the big thing at those times. I like to get into the water with a steel rake on an extended pole and feel the bottom for objects, I did real good doing this in florida, especialy under bridges, but snakes and gators sometimes where a problem. If you bank hunt, start at the bottom and work your way up.

Lem

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg94058.html#msg94058

Offline Bobbi
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 08:17:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi
I just found this website with your post about Scarborough, me. Do you still remember the location? I would love to check it out!
Thank you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6396.msg120468.html#msg120468

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: