[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by toleary34
thank you sir for your appreciation for my service.  that book sounds like quite an asset in the search for the pasts hidden treasures.  my family heritage stems from somewhere in Virgina and fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War.  When klondikeike was up here yesterday we had extensive conversations on the Civil War while we were looking at the breastwork defenses.  i can't imagine what it must have been like for those poor souls who both perished, and lived through those horrific battles.  i really want to get back there to where you're at and see some of the battlefields of the Civil War. after being a four tour combat veteran, i don't think that i could look at these fields where some many suffered and perished, and not feel a tear roll down my cheek.

There was really heavy fighting in Spotsylvania county "bloody angle" If I remember correctly fifty thousand plus soldiers died in that battle. I used to live right there at one time and didn't know anything about detecting at all during the 70s. There was alot of suffering there for sure, I was told and have read that there were arms and legs in huge piles in many of the battle areas as a result of medical treatment for wounds.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91589.html#msg91589

Johnlaw

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 10:46:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I also have family members that were in the Civil War (CSA). My cousin has done a huge amount of Genealogy research and has tracked several members of our family, what units they were in, their muster rolls, etc. He even found out that we have General Robert E. Lee in the family tree! (verified through records). I find all the history and battlefields fascinating! On a side note, if any of you have direct lineage to a Confederate Soldier, you can join the SOCV (Sons Of Confederate Veterans). I have filled out my lineage paperwork and been to some meetings, but the chapters in my area are not very active. I will eventually join. Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread! Thanks to all who serve our communities and our country, both present and past!    Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91599.html#msg91599

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 10:52:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i need to do more genealogy and find out everything i can about my civil war history for myself as well as my future generations down the road.  that is an interesting fact that you can join that group, i am going to do my homework on both my family and that organization.  thank you very much for your sharing of your blood line as well as the organization information and your service to our country.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91601.html#msg91601

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep, as a matter of fact, you can only join if you have a direct lineage to a Confederate soldier. It is a great organization, with an emphasis on historical facts, preservation, etc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91603.html#msg91603

Mark - K5EXX

{alt}

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 11:01:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i definitely need to get into that organization because i have two Confederate soldiers in the family that i know of for sure.  one was killed by a lightning strike while in an encampment or on the battlefield.  thanks a lot for that info, i want nothing more than to keep my family history and pride alive and well for generations to come, and that sounds like an excellent asset for me to use in preserving it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91605.html#msg91605

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey TJ....

Thanks for the kind words... they are not necessary.....  We became friends...as was both our goals.. and found out we were part of the band of brothers....with similar wounds, hurts and hated memories....  sometimes these things are the results of war... war is never a good thing... but sometimes necessary... once we have been picked to do a nasty job in combat, it has consequences..sometimes lasting a lifetime..... I returned from Nam very angry... I had a quote stitched on my beret...."I am the unwilling, picked by the unknown,  to do the impossible for the ungrateful".....

My friend, you are a good man... of great moral fiber, understands his role and responsibilities as a father and a husband.... as I told you to your face... don't allow the memories erase that.... focus on somehing else.....MDing is a great thing to focus on....Your family is also a great motivation to re-focus....your job as an active reserve is a great thing and a way to re-direct your thoughts....  you have way too much good going for you....

Yes.. that torn up and severely broken body of that young man caused me to reflect to the past much as it did yourself... I was sent back 40 years in an instant when the helo came.... but you and I quickly dismissed our memories and feelings because we were focused on one thing...saving this young man's life.... as we discussed afterward.. it most likely is a great blessing he passed... his head trauma alone,  without all the other significant injuries would have prevented him from have any quality of life...

We didn't cause the accident... he did... he chose to drive at an excessive high speed on a curved road on a bike notorious for being unbalanced..... you, me..all the other personnel there tried our best ... but it was his time....

Afterwards... you were sooooo excited when I found that gold mine fore you using some new technology...... you were soooooooooooo happy..and excited... I thought you were going to do back flips right into traffic....Where was all those memories...and that tragic accident we had left just minutes before...Huh??   You and I got rid of them by focusing on something fun and happy... me it was keeping you focused on something other than your memories and seeing your excitement and that great smile you have......for you...it WAS the excitement of finding something unknown.....and we both were smiling and the wars and that accident were the furthest things from our minds.... MDing is something good to focus on.....

I called you because I thought you might want to talk..since you were home now...and the visions of the afternoon might come creeping back into your mind...and to tell you to re-focus your thoughts... our minds are very powerful tools... we can use them for good.....or allow them to control us in a negative way......

Please..anytime you NEED to talk..at ANYTIME day or night..PLEASE call me... you have my number.. and I mean at ANYTIME...

It was a pleasure to meet you... explore with you...shed tears with you.. and use some new technology...find something you were looking for..a gold mine....

Your friend...and new brother....

Klondike....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91613.html#msg91613

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you sir for your comments, and to a lot of them where you commend me, it honestly don't know what to say other than thank you.  This is why history and the thrill of the hunt are so incredibly important to me....it keeps me busy, and it gives me the opportunity to share our past with those around me, that have no idea where their blood line and history stems from.  it helped having you there on that call...when the chopper came in and i was holding his amputated leg, i was able to look up at you and communicate with you just by looking into your eyes for that split second, and reading your thoughts while you read mine...the only place i have ever been able to find that is in combat with my fellow Marines.

I am proud to call you friend, and pray that we can work together on future treasure hunting endeavors.  You are absolutely right about moving on with life....the war and the bad calls are just what we have been hunting...part of the past...our past.....however it is not ours to wallow in, but rather learn from, grow stronger, and appreciate the gift of life.  they teach in fire training that if you feel it necessary to go back to a bad scene from an earlier call, to do so.  when i hung up the phone with you i went back out to where we had found him because it wanted to see the area without the body, to try and wash it out of my head and to take in the natural beauty of the area insted, so that in the future i will not have to drive past and think of it as his final resting place but rather a spot of dirt on the side of a historical road.  when i got to the scene a vehicle pulled up and the occupants got out.  it was his family.

they asked who i was and i explained that i had returned to pay my last respects to the area and to him.  they told me who they were and i told them that you and i were the first ones to start treatment and that we had worked for almost an hour to save his life.  his son and other relatives shook my hand and thanked me for trying my hardest.  they asked where he had finally come to a rest after the crash, and i pointed it out to them, the chunks and blood had been covered by upturned dirt.  they were having a rough time and i left them my number in the case of their needing anything that i could do for them.

they started to cry even harder and i walked slowly back to the truck and was called back to the site by his family, where they all thanked me and shook my hand again.  i turned around and continued walking back to the truck and a heavy breeze blew through the grass and weeds surrounding that historical plot of land, and i closed my eyes as it brushed across my face.  I told you earlier that i was a believer in the great spirit, and that history and those who have gone before us will talk to us from the past if we listen.  they are not necessarily there....there are no words...there are no ghostly sightings.....there are their memories, their mistakes, and their gifts they have given us throughout time.  I instantly felt at peace, and convinced that we had done everything we could do, and that he....wherever he maybe....was in a way pleased.  today i was called to another car wreck, and thought about you as i treated my patient.  May we meet again in a celebration of life and the thrill of the hunt...you have all of my friendship and faith, as well as my hope to overcome the horrors of the past, people like you and many on this forum are the hope that i speak of...With every ounce of respect your friend.

TJ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91759.html#msg91759

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:20:56 pm by toleary34 »
Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 03:24:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry you had to deal with that on your day off toleary.  I've pulled more motorcyclists out of the mountains up here than you can count, and it's never fun.  Flatlanders towing their bikes up here from Atlanta, and jumping on our hills and curves who are just flat not experienced enough to ride them.  For some reason these trees and banks and drop offs just seem to jump out in front of these riders, and the next thing you know we're having to scoop them out of the woods with a shovel.  Sometimes I wish I had never volunteered for wilderness first responder duty up here, and have seriously considered letting my certification expire, but the ones I have helped save keep me going back.

BTW, I ride myself, a '97 Harley Davidson Fatboy.  I'm a typical Harley biker type, so I don't have anything against motorcyclists... I just get ticked off with the crazy wannabe riders who are intent on killing themselves in my mountains.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91782.html#msg91782

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

TJ and Klondike: Alot of people never experience the types of bonds that are made between soldiers, EMT's, Fire Fighters, and Police Officers. I myself have been both a soldier, a volunteer fire fighter, and a 911 Operator.....so I have experienced those types of bonds as well. It is great to see you two hook up and not only hunt and discover things together, but also use your expertise to help others in need along the way. I am proud to be in a brotherhood that includes you two gentlemen. My respect goes out to both of you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91785.html#msg91785

Mark - K5EXX

{alt}

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

bigwater

I'm sorry that you have to deal with it regularly yourself...for me it truly is an addiction to go into those types of situations and do what you can, i don't know how to explain it.....it's just an addiction.  any sport or hobby can have consequences, i only skydived for a short time but there were a couple of instances where malfunctions convinced me to get out of the sport.  people just need to know their weaknesses and the limitations to their own capabilities, and people like you and I wouldn't have to scrape them from the asphalt. my motorcyclist before this one was very similar and he died as well, in short we all just need to be smart about what we can and can't do safely.  take care of yourself and be safe out there, and keep up the good work

K5EXX

Thank you very much for your post, our brotherhood runs deeper than any i have ever seen.  and i am proud to call you friend as well as a brother in the fire department and the armed forces.  It's never easy by any means...but those bonds that you speak of are stronger than any metal element that our detectors can pick up....i have yet to see anything stronger.  please take care of yourself brother....and keep in touch

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91791.html#msg91791

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: