[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 03:38:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

...used to hate it when they'd call to let my dad know they had a motorcyclist enroute to the emergency room.   Too many of 'em (especially the ones with head trauma) didn't make it......then he'd have to deal with his own frustration.  (guess that may be part of the reason why my brother became an emt and I didn't)

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91794.html#msg91794

Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

they always say that you will eventually know when you have seen enough horrific dead bodies....i think i hit that point years ago... just seems like wherever the chaos is, I've always wanted to be....i think that's why i became an EMT after the war and got into the fire department, just to be there and try to find myself.  for me my job of burying veterans and doing the flag and firing party ceremonies for veterans and members killed in action every day forces me to face my own mortality, and the fire department makes me do the same thing, and i can tell you that i appreciate every single day that i have. I'd rather spend a day looking down at the dirt than a day looking up at the roots.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91799.html#msg91799

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, there's a certain feeling that can't be described when you can keep somebody alive who's not breathing when you get to them, or keep them from injuring themselves further from thrashing around by pinning them down and calming them with your voice.  For me, staying calm myself is the hardest part.  When I have a victim who is panicing, that's when I'm in my worst mindset.  Dead bodies don't bother me as much as people who I think are going to die, so I understand your mindset with the victim you worked on for an hour.  I've only had one extraction on a dead body that bothered me more than trying to keep somebody from dying, but we'll save that story for later.  For now, let me just thank you for being a caring person and trying to help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91800.html#msg91800

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sir, it is you who should be thanked.  you have been in this gig longer than i have, and have probably helped numerous lifes.  those around you should be grateful of your knowledge and stamina. thank you of who you are...it's a rare cammodity these days to find people of such fiber and character, and you as well as so many others involved in this forum, ar in fact those very people that are so hard to find.  thank you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91803.html#msg91803

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well I'm not your regular sort of first responder or EMT, in fact I'm not an EMT at all.  They don't let me ride around in the ambulance.  I'm simply a wilderness first responder and swiftwater rescue technician.  They only call me if they need the rope skills.  Unfortunately more than half the time when I'm called in it involves a recovery instead of a rescue.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91815.html#msg91815

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:21:05 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 04:25:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

that is an awesome ability to do what you do.  I know from experience how "technical" swift water rescue really is, that is an incredible capability to posses, and i can tell by your writing that you are a man of high moral fiber and work ethics, and that tells me that you are more than a valuable asset to those with whom you work, as well as those you save. my hat is off to you sir...with every ounce of my sincerest respect

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91817.html#msg91817

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 06:40:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, swiftwater rescue is the hardest.  It's very demanding and requires a lot of training and practice.  I have to go through a two week training course every two years to keep my certification up, and sometimes it makes me wonder if it's worth it.  Pulling a drowning victim out from underneath an undercut rock in the river makes me ill, but it's that one shivering kid that I can save out of a pinned canoe or raft or on the side of a rock somewhere that keeps me going back.

I've got more horror stories on river rescue stuff than you can imagine.  The wilderness response stuff usually involves making use of stuff you have in your kit and stuff lying around the ground, and if they aren't already dead when you get there you can usually stabilize them and get them out... but water rescue is a trick. 

Water is a much bigger force than you are, and the biggest thing they teach you in swiftwater rescue is that your life is more important than the victims life, because if you die then you won't be any good to the victim.  It's crazy training, and it's hard work, but I'm a river rat anyway, so I keep going back.  I've almost drowned myself a couple of times trying to help somebody else, and I've had some funny rescue incidents that worked out well and I'll laugh about the rest of my days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91869.html#msg91869

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 06:59:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i know how incredibly difficult it is, and i commend you for that brother.  i missed out on my chance to get swift water rescue qualified recently.  i was already in two other fire courses and needed to focus on them and ensure that i didn't have too much on my plate. that's got to be a huge adrenaline pumping job

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91875.html#msg91875

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 12:42:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

For sure, it's a lot of adrenaline... for both you and the victim sometimes.  I had to punch one victim in the head repeatedly until he went unconcious once because he was panicking so bad that he was dragging me down with him.  I just couldn't get him to calm down enough to realize what the situation was, and that he couldn't simply climb on top of me in order to survive, so I knocked him out and drug him to the bank.  He survived with a sore head and a black eye, and I survived with a few sore knuckles, but we both survived. Sometimes you have to hurt people to save them in those situations.  If I hadn't beat the fight out of him, he would have killed both of us.

They actually teach you submission techniques in swiftwater rescue courses, one of which is a swift punch to the face, which is harder to do than it might sound when you're swimming in whitewater.  In the training courses you always dread playing the victim, because you know you're gonna get punched a few times.

This guy took about ten punches, but I finally got him submissive enough to get him landed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91934.html#msg91934

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:24:32 am by bigwater »

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 01:16:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Much respect for you bigwater! Man, you are like the aquatic rocky! LOL.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91936.html#msg91936

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: