[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 01:35:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

No, not Rocky.  In the ring the other guy punches back.  In the river they just claw at you and try to climb on top of you so they can reach the precious air.  I probably couldn't last five minutes with anybody on this forum in a boxing ring.  In the water it's a different environment though, and when it becomes a life or death situation, you do what you have to do.  Your survival becomes as important as the person you're trying to help, and at the point when your survival becomes as doubtful as theirs, you take whatever action is necessary to ensure your own survival.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91940.html#msg91940

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 02:19:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Agreed!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg91947.html#msg91947

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 09:28:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guy...well I do funerals every day for veterans and service members killed in action overseas, performing the flag folds and presenting the folded flag to the next of kin.....i just got a call and have to go tomorrow, and fold the flag and present it to the family if the motorcycle crash patient that i lost the other day.....this is going to be a rough one

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92025.html#msg92025

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

I just read the first post Toleary, and I'm yet to see my first human death. Just seeing pictures of them is gruesome enough, but to actually have someone pass away in front of you I'm sure is mind-numbing to say the least. However, it goes with the territory and I know many years ago when I signed up for the USAF(Reserves) and sworn that oath that someday it was possible that I may be in a situation where I could be confronted with it. Luckily enough for me that hasn't happened. Nobody is the same after that.

I personally (like you) have the 'good Samaritan' blood in me, and if someone were to get in an accident I wouldn't hesitate to run in to help out if I can. Another note is that I'm a motorcycle rider myself, and it just pisses me off to no end that people can legally ride without a helmet!  Angry
That borderlines on politics but it's just common sense. I realized that people have the 'freedom' to choose if they want to wear one in this state, but they just don't realize that they can also die from it too - as in what you experienced. Think how much cheaper motorcycle insurance would be if they made it a Federal law that all riders must wear a helmet, gloves, and long pants?!  Although that rider didn't make it, know that you're still a hero for trying to help save that guy!
Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92032.html#msg92032

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

thank you zul23....I'm no hero though, just doing my job......having to do my other job of burying veterans is rough enough, but tomorrow when i bury this same guy it will probably be one of the toughest I've done yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92034.html#msg92034

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah, that's going to be a tough one.   I've never had to bury a victim I wasn't able to save.  I imagine it would be hard beyond belief.  Just facing the family would devastate me.   Even though I knew I had done everything to do to save their loved one, the grief of the family would rise into guilt with me and I'd end up feeling as bad or worse than the family did.  They're burying their loved one, and I'm burying their loved one that I let die.  I don't think I could handle it.  You're a strong man to be able to go through that.  I've never even had contact with any of the families of the victims I've recovered/lost, and I imagine if one of them called me I'd turn into a blathering cry baby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92047.html#msg92047

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 05:10:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yeah....i know exactly where you are coming from.  i will do my best, my very best to comfort and support them as much as i can, and to give their loved one that i tried to save, the military honors he deserves.  And I will try and keep it together as much as possible as i look into his wife's eyes and present to her his final folded flag.  thank you for all of your support brother
  Well, just got done with that funeral for my motorcycle crash victim about an hour or so ago.  it was very hard to present that flag to his wife, and she thanked me for trying to do everything that i could do to save her husband.  she told me to stop by anytime i'm in the area just so she knows i'm doing alright because she knew that it had to have been a horrible scene.  it hurt very very badly to be there, but it brought closure to the situation, and the numerous "thanks, hand shakes, and hugs that i got afterwards made me feel a lot better about the entire ordeal.  any way.............life goes on

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92290.html#msg92290

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 05:30:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Glad you made it through the ordeal without a meltdown.  I'm sure it was difficult.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92293.html#msg92293

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 10:55:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey TJ...

Good ......you got through it.... I know how hard it is... I still see visions of him laying along side the road... Since last Sunday...I think about him and his family every day...especially his family....the living must keep going and but now there is a void there in all their lives......Thank you for helping to bring closure to the family....In my own life...while I did my time in Nam...and we talked so openly about while we were together last weekend..... however, my brother was killed there on Nov 3 1969...he was a medi-vac helo pilot...he was in country 3 weeks...and he left behind a wife..2 daughters and a third daughter he never saw....I know how hard it was on the entire family... immediate and extended....

I didn't know the our guy was a vet..... but I wondered who and how the family would be comforted.... now I know... Thank you for doing all you could do at the scene and at the funeral... I am sure you helped the family alot...

Call me some time if you wanna talk...you know the number...

Your friend,

Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14332.msg92530.html#msg92530

Offline steveshadow
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States