[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline RHATSKYTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP DEUS
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gidday Christian, sorry i did not reply to earlier postings as on an earlier treasure hunt (4 weeks ago roughly) i was hunting through tree plantings where a house was destroyed by bush fire early 1920-30. In a grove about 12 feet square i detected lead spread over about a square yerd . My DEUS said lead type not brass type and fairly strong . The digging started and i quickly became stunned as i was uncovering a white marble slab flat and clean. Stop for water scratch the head and says "is this a white marble bench top on the side of a hill in the middle of nowhere, surely not from the house, 1850 slab hut 200 yards away, keep digging. An hour or two later i am nackerd and have a broken slab one yard wide and 5 feet long with a beautifully curved top. Man i reckoni have a headstone from a grave flat and down 9 1nches and no lead but the DEUS says it is everywhere under the target. Two hours later i have dug the lower side clear the sun is just about gone and so am i and i jam my noggin under the middle of the side and scratch about and find a bit of a word in lead . Boy did i sleep some that night and raced off to the site early next morning. Lots of work bot finally tipped the stone over and scrubbed the surface down. Yes i had a head stone and a saddened heart as there were 4 names upon the stone of 4 children who died on 5/5/1876 to 5/6/1876  . I have traced the event which claims 3 children of the Fosters died within a month and now the locals have been pleased to know the location of the grave and i have been busy glueing the broken headstone and refilling the lettering with epoxy cement and we shall have a reerection of he stone in about a month. I have photo's and history of this happening should you want me to send them. The Nerriga locals now have a better idea of treasure hunters than they did before and said "you blokes can look anywhere". Please fellers be clean. Cheers RHATSKY

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg257912.html#msg257912

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:04:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well done. When you discovered what you had found, you did exactly the moral and right thing. You make me proud to know you, mate! Truly proud.

Have a beah on me! <= I spent 13 years living in Australia. Love the beah!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg257917.html#msg257917

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline jamjars
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
New Zealand

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Treasure Ace 100, Garrett Treasure Ace 300 (under review) Cheapy chinese thing (your's for $5), Fisher VLF551d (currently in peices)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

What a great story, and a great find.  Great  A unique treasure for sure.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg257919.html#msg257919

Living in shaky town, where the earth will move for you too {alt}

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:10:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well done mate you make us all proud to know you.

HH
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg257938.html#msg257938

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:33:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great Well done RHATSKY , a great outcome . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg257979.html#msg257979

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP DEUS
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:18:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gidday GoldDigger 1950, Jam Jars, Xavier, Knight, my day was busy as I spoke to my barber who came from Nerriga and an other couple, the Prentices who chase early area history. Three Foster children who died within days of each other of diphtheria and one Hannah was spared as Dr Burnie painted her throat with kerosene on a feather. That gents is the official recording and the property name was Dunnamanna. Now we have the headstone which i think was made at a later date and four names Charles1856-5/5/1876, Catherine 1860-17/5/1876, Frances 1871-19/5/1876, James 1861-5/6/1876 the local group is keen to set history right and have the site ok'ed.  But the bloke Rex who owns the property says leave it to him and my mates as we shall repair and fence the grave site ourselves and place notice in the local pub . Country pubs are social units in outback Oz. So off to Nerriga to speak with several more oldies, strewth i'm a 43 job myself.  Cheers RHATSKY

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg258014.html#msg258014

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Could you post a photo of the head stone and all when you're done?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg258028.html#msg258028

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP DEUS
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:57:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gidday GoldDigger1950, jamjars, xavier, au fever, brought home 3 broken sections of the headstone mixed a marine glue with white micro baloons and placed it on a foot wide rsj with bottom cross memberand went back up so we can place the large section on the system and erect.  Two days later get a phone call from a bloke who has a 1850 family gravesite with a broken headstone from a fallen tree and wants some of my "magic white glue". So i told him my mates and i camp, work, eat, sleep and fossick so we will do it for you. His reply was he shouts beer for his visitors so our next job is on hand. Allan lives just down the coast and the site is at Sassafrass near Nerriga and will be good to prospect so all good things run together. Xavier my friend i shall send some photo's next week and some more as we reerect and i shall give you the Google co-ordinates of the site, you con see the tree grove. Cheers RHATSKY

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg258428.html#msg258428

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:07:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

You should grab a few pictures for us, mate! You're doing this hobby a huge favor and making us proud! Well done.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg258429.html#msg258429

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP DEUS
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gidday GD1950, jamjars, xavier, and au fever, yes i am still alive after being burried in tons of official bullshit.  in trying to find Dunnamanna which the book says was refurbished in the 50's it turns out to be another Dunnamanna built after the earlier one was burnt down after the original family had left . Sounds simple hey... but along comes Parks and Wildlife who are the ONLY mob who record graves on private or state lands. The book says 3 children died but the headstone says 4 so the ruling is "no touchy" cause sumpin is wrong. I was pissed off so i grabbed a bloke from Qld who radar scanned the grave site and said 4 seperate body holes and one headstone and they had to accept as he was a CSIRO employe. This is Thursday so i am back to the job next Tuesday to get the top piece 1200mm long and have already glued 3 bottom bits together so a month should see the erection thank heavens  Cheers RHATSKY.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46989.msg259525.html#msg259525

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: