[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 09:39:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ecviggy...I'm really sorry to hear that.  Funny how "things" can be like old friends, isn't it?  I'm sure you filed a police report.  Start calling the pawn shops and keep an eye on Craigslist.  They may show up.

John

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg106803.html#msg106803

Offline lazo
Copper Member

Thank you15

Activity
0%

Turkey

316.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garett ace 250
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 12:36:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

fine thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg106810.html#msg106810

Offline ecviggy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Deepseeker and Ace 250
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 07:31:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Stormrider1951
Ecviggy...I'm really sorry to hear that.  Funny how "things" can be like old friends, isn't it?  I'm sure you filed a police report.  Start calling the pawn shops and keep an eye on Craigslist.  They may show up.

John

Yes, all that done.  I have been watching Craigslist as well in Sacremanto and SF Bay Area.  Also warned those looking for metal detectors.  Is funny how a thing can become so sentimental. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg106827.html#msg106827

Offline Pappydoodle
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter ADS Deepseeker, Garrett Master Hunter ADS 7
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:51:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

ecviggy - Hi.  I know what you mean about the sentimental thing and an object like a metal detector.  I just sent my Master Hunter ADS Deepseeker to Garrett to get it looked at and I only hope they can fix what's "ailing" it.  I've had the thing for 30 years and don't want to have to part with it.  It's been too good to me for all those years - never, ever, not once did I come home empty handed.  Loved using it in Europe - it could find anything.  I suppose the newer Garrett machines are OK, but those older ones are hard to beat.  I don't know how they could update them to make them better, but I'll always try to keep one around.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg111173.html#msg111173

Offline ecviggy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 05:09:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Pappydoodle, I did get money from homeowners insurance from State Farm. They said it would be the cost with depreciation over 30 years.  I bought it for $300 and they gave me $750!  Go figure!  I bought a Garrett Scorpion and Ace 250 with the money.  Also got a cheap Bounty Hunter for almost free.  The Ace 250 and BH are for the grandkids.  It was a pleasant surprise, but would still rather have my Master Hunter Deepseeker back again. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg111220.html#msg111220

Offline 1/4 bubble
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett deepseeker
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 06:53:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sorry about your loss...i recently purchased an old garrett deep seeker with the push button. not exactly sure how to use it yet new to detecting.however i must say everytime i take it out i find something found a quater today at about 18" deep and i live on the beach.....just havn't figured out the 10 turn ground balance yet...but what i have figured out is i like the damn old thing!...hopin it will help me with my gold prospectin.. Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119228.html#msg119228

Offline ecviggy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 08:34:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

While the old Garrett detectors didn't have today's technology, they still seem to go deeper than other VLF/TR's.  Play with the TR portion to discriminate and somewhat adjust the ground balance.  As it "whines" a little, just push the red button to "reset".  Yes, I do miss that old detector and would happily get rid of my new Gold Stinger, to have it back.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119314.html#msg119314

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 04:27:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ecviggy
While the old Garrett detectors didn't have today's technology, they still seem to go deeper than other VLF/TR's.  Play with the TR portion to discriminate and somewhat adjust the ground balance.  As it "whines" a little, just push the red button to "reset".  Yes, I do miss that old detector and would happily get rid of my new Gold Stinger, to have it back.

It's sad you lost your detector that way..........I had one when they first came out, found a lot of stuff with it. I also used it to hunt in the water. The detector was sold but I still have the 7 inch coil with a nine foot cord that Garrett made for me, I'll probably put that on ebay..

have a good day........John in va..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119408.html#msg119408

Johnlaw

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnlaw
It's sad you lost your detector that way..........I had one when they first came out, found a lot of stuff with it. I also used it to hunt in the water. The detector was sold but I still have the 7 inch coil with a nine foot cord that Garrett made for me, I'll probably put that on ebay..

have a good day........John in va..

I have one of those for my GroundHog. I used a shaft extension I made to keep the box way above my head and swept it back and forth like a straw broom. Worked great in water up to my chest. Had to build a custom scoop, though. The long handled commercial scoops had too much metal bracing for me. Mine had a tiny bit of flotation making it only slightly above neutral buoyancy. This kept it floating (tethered, of course) nearby and not interfering with my most important work in rivers and lakes. Useless for ocean work though. The waves would spray the box no matter how high it was above my head.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119421.html#msg119421

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 05:42:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I have one of those for my GroundHog. I used a shaft extension I made to keep the box way above my head and swept it back and forth like a straw broom. Worked great in water up to my chest. Had to build a custom scoop, though. The long handled commercial scoops had too much metal bracing for me. Mine had a tiny bit of flotation making it only slightly above neutral buoyancy. This kept it floating (tethered, of course) nearby and not interfering with my most important work in rivers and lakes. Useless for ocean work though. The waves would spray the box no matter how high it was above my head.

Hello GD..........Mine was on a long shaft I made out of aluminum with the box above my head. My digger was home made with a wooden long handle in it, it was bouyant and easy to find if you let go of it. I also used a square floating screen made out of wood and 1/4 inch mesh wire so the small things wouldn't go thru...  the whole setup worked well at the time. I hunted mostly in the Potomac river. I'm glad I can still go out in the water, we both are about the same age. One thing about metal detecting it still has a thrill in it and the feeling you get when finding something good is amazing at times.

John in Va.....   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119422.html#msg119422

Johnlaw

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: