[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 08:35:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do you remember H&S Detector Center in Virginia Beach? I'll bet we both worked the same spots on the Potomac River. I found an old swimming hole off Portsmouth and went nuts for nearly 4 months finding fistfuls of rings with each hit. Unbelievable. Such memories. When gold went to $800.00 an ounce in the '80s, I cleaned up.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119442.html#msg119442

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Do you remember H&S Detector Center in Virginia Beach? I'll bet we both worked the same spots on the Potomac River. I found an old swimming hole off Portsmouth and went nuts for nearly 4 months finding fistfuls of rings with each hit. Unbelievable. Such memories. When gold went to $800.00 an ounce in the '80s, I cleaned up.

I'm not familiar with that detector shop, I bought most of my stuff from Essential Electronics in Richmond, Va.......I mostly hunted in the Colonial Beach area along the Potomac river going upwards toward Washington DC. I remember your article on your finds in the Portsmouth area, actually I was wondering if if would be feasible to check some of those sites out again? No doubt you cleaned up the way you described your findings, I remember the 800 dollars an ounce for gold during that time frame.. Do you think you'll ever visit those sites again with detector in hand? What kind of weather do you have in Perth now? ..........John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119448.html#msg119448

Johnlaw

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 12:25:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

It's high on to spring right now with temperatures hovering in the high '80s. The area we hunted along the Potomac is now fully developed and gone forever. I suppose you could go out a few yards and dive. You'd catch some of the stuff that drifted out from the beach. We never got into the heavy current, just along the shoreline. You'd also need some maps of the 1970s and earlier to pinpoint the old location.

I doubt if I'll ever dive again. The eardrums dry out as we get older and it can be a bit harder to clear your ears and dive. My daughter wanted me to dive with her last summer but my ears wouldn't permit it. Again, old age is a great limiter. Aside from that, anyone may use a site I reveal here as long as it's public property or you get permission to hunt. If I reveal a site here, it's all fair game. If you want to poke around down that way, I'll see if I can dig up an old map and find the area where we were. If I recall correctly, there's a long row of townhomes there now with boardwalk and dock access but no shoreline. I haven't been by there for more than 20 years now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119461.html#msg119461

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ecviggy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Deepseeker and Ace 250
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnlaw
It's sad you lost your detector that way..........I had one when they first came out, found a lot of stuff with it. I also used it to hunt in the water. The detector was sold but I still have the 7 inch coil with a nine foot cord that Garrett made for me, I'll probably put that on ebay..

have a good day........John in va..

I still have the 12 inch or so, coil that came with the old Garrett.  I was wondering if it would work on the newer VLF/TR's?  Large coil was mor for hunting for trash or cache deposits.  Same connector as my Stinger and Ace 250.
I found a video for a 5 foot gold sucker, that while it don't solve the problem of deeper detecting underwater, it will, using check valves to to suck into outer tube and through a hose, attached to sucker and 5 gallon can. I've built one, but haven't tried it yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg119688.html#msg119688

Offline anvilmanco
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS Groundhog & PB Groundhog
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

ecviggy & the rest of ya.  I'm sure glad I found this site and this thread.  I have 2 of the old Garretts, an ADS Groundhog and a PBS (push button) Groundhog.  I tried to sell them on craigslist a couple of years ago and I'm glad I didn't.  As i said in my introduction post when I joined today, "I'm back" and gung ho for the duration. 

I, too, had a great time with these machines back "in the day".  I just figured that they were way out-stripped in new technology.  But, the more I read, the more I think I had better hang on to them and really learn to use them in the West.  I'm from Illinois and moved to Colorado in 1987.  Now that I have the time, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of them.  ecviggy, if you ever decide you'd like to sell that 12 inch coil, let me know.  I might be interested.  Hopefully, though, you can get you machine back.  God, I hate thieves.  Would love to let them meet my friend Mr. Smith and his brother Wesson.

Keep the faith,

Keith / anvilmanco

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg136767.html#msg136767

Offline ecviggy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Anvilmanco, don't think I'll ever get the detector back and I sure do miss it.  The new ones are ok, but don't seem to go as deep unless you pay high dollar for them.
I think I still have 12 in coil.  Will check my storage. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg136783.html#msg136783

Offline LeRoy Silver
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1431.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is a old groundhog that I just seen in the pawn shop in town here. Priced at either $125.00 or $150.00 Not sure but its one of the prices. Also a garrrett master hunter that i thought about buying for the use with treasure hound

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg136790.html#msg136790

Offline ecviggy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 06:07:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My Garrett Master Hunter was stolen in July in Sacramento.  I turned in claim to State Farm Insurance.  They asked worth and told them cost me $300 in 1978.  They said they would pay depreciation costs for the detector.  To my amazement, they gave me a check for $750!  I was flabbergasted, but took that money to buy a comperable detector of today.  I would have gladly give the detectors and money back for my old Garrett.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg136815.html#msg136815

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have one of the Original 5.5Khz Master hunters.

Sure wish it was 15 Khz. Like the Groundhog.

It still kicks but but not much of a gold getter.

It See's a 1/2gram nugget at about 3 or 4 inches. (IF you know what your hearing)  Some groud stuff sounds close to the same.

My little S3 is broken down and needs a Output Transistor on the audio. The Head phones shorted out!  #Eaaaaa!

Runing at 15 Khz, it can see the same Nugget at 7 or 8 inches.

It was marketed as a Lower, Lower end coin shooter back in the early 80's!  LOL!!!!!!

Found more then a few Clinkers with it.

Manual Ground Bal, and hit the Path.

I need a MPS-u45 to get it up and runing.

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg136824.html#msg136824
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/SUNP0056.jpg

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:08:11 pm by homefire »
Offline Kiwi
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

New Zealand

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab 50, Garrett AT3
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 02:58:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Have any of you people owned a Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, or can anyone give me some good tips on using it in saltwater....it has a deep seeker coil on it & is about the same vintage 1987

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11064.msg140675.html#msg140675

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: