[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline denizenTopic starter
Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

All work and no play makes the soul a lump o' coal
Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none at the moment, but soon a TGSL i will build
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Starting a new topic because the one i was going to post in notified me i should because it was over 120 days old.

Anyway I read that it goes 28" on gold. If I read that correctly.

The price seems a little cheaper, when compared to other detectors of it's caliber. What's the catch?

What are the downsides to using a Scorpion Gold Stinger? Could all owners/previous users put their input in for me?

Thanks in advance!  Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191767.html#msg191767

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

it will go 6-10 feet on a car sized nugget lol Always look at the size, shape and type of metal in those claims. I'm not a gold digger but the ones that do it seem to like that detector for starting out. BTW a $39.99 bounty hunter can go 4 feet deep on a big enough metal object lol. Bigger coils, and more $$ spent doesnt mean deeper gold or more gold. A small coil will pick up small nuggets that a big coil will pass up. I picked up a good test for nuggets from these guys and tried it on my cheapest and oldest detector, a 2 knob BH. Using different sizes of lead shot to see what your detector will pick up and how deep is a good indicator of gold nugget sizes it will pickup.  But since I'm a relic, jewelry and coin hunter, I'll let the gold diggers tell you the best ways to choose a detector for gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191780.html#msg191780

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline greasemunkey
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:32:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't actually own one so can't really advise as such, but I've been doing a bunch of research on the scorpion, supertraq and goldbug. From all the user accounts I've found regarding the scorpion it seems that almost everyone that figured out how to use it properly absolutely loves it (everyone else either sold it or stuffed it in a closet), but it would seem that the user manual isn't written quite as well as it could have been and is somewhat confusing.

As to how it compares to similar machines in its price range, I haven't yet found a reviewer that's spent a good deal of time with all three. There was a review from someone who bought the scorpion and hated it, and now has a goldbug that he's happy with. Maybe they had problems with the user manual, or maybe it's just a personal preference.

I'd like to get my hands on one before I go dropping $600-800, but it looks like the last mining store in town is due to close at the end of the month and they don't have much left on the shelf Sad

I was swinging toward the goldbug, but I just read something about them not being as good as they used to be since they got bought out by someoneorother. Looks like I'll have to do a little more research before I make my decision. Maybe I'll end up with the Garrett    Undecided

Paul

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191785.html#msg191785

Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Paul AKA greasemunkey, i feel your pain! That sucks to hear that the shop is closing down. My conspirator senses are telling me they're trying to force everyone out of the gold market. It's so heavily regulated and BS..

About the Scorpion: i just have a good feeling about it. My gut feeling is usually never wrong. But my gut isn't omnipotent in wisdom either. lol. If i were you i'd go with the scorpion and save a few bucks. I have bad experiences with companies that buy out other companies. Gretsch and Fender guitars for instance. Gretsch was bought out by Fender and then Fender was bought out by the CBS MASSIVE conglomeration of world domination.. it sickens me. I hope CBS perishes soon. The guitars have suffered pretty noticeably in build and quality. I'm a guitarist, if you haven't figured out yet.. haha. So that being said don't go with the goldbug. Companies buy out the competition and make their products crappy to make their original products look better.

So get that Scorpion before the shelves have dusty moths on them and then tell me your reactions!  Cheesy

Good Luck on your quest. Go with what feels right Paul. Intuition never betrays you.

Posted on: August 20, 2011, 07:43:41 PM
It appears I've been convinced of the Scorpion's abilities.. lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191792.html#msg191792

Offline greasemunkey
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was a guitar tech for a few years. I've fixed more than my fair share of Gibson necks (well, only 3 necks - repaired 6 times). I bought a '57 Gretsch Rambler from a friend of mine once, his brother had an accident with it + the neck broke at the headstock. I paid $80 for it  Shocked repaired it to its former glory and gave it to my brother for his birthday. Probably not the best idea as he's the guy that keeps butchering Gibsons.
I know what you're talking about with the quality thing. It seems to be best to go with newer or up-and-coming brand names these days. Hagstrom for example are awesome compared to others in their price range (have been for decades but nobody seemed to notice!), Schecter (the Tempest is my new fave) also make a damned fine guitar.
Oh yeah, this is a detector forum...ahem.

I think you may have swayed my decision a little toward the Garrett. In all my research I haven't really found any one thing that makes one better than the others. All of them have people that love them and people that hate them, and until I can find someone that has spent 100 hours or so with each of them I don't think I'm going to come up with an answer as to which is top dog. Honestly, I think I was a bit put off by the fact that the scorpion is cheaper, and therefore possibly more 'walmart-like'. Maybe they're actually the 'Hagstrom' of the detector world.

Paul

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191798.html#msg191798

Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:21:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Schecter corsair with the Bigsby is a guitar i've pined over repeatedly. Gretsch still does make good guitars, but they are more costly than a vintage Gibson Firebird III.. haha, not really. I've played some guitars that had a bloated price tag and they were no better than a cheap knock off Tele. no lie. I was put off by half the pricey Gretsch crap.
K, less guitars more schematics talk.  Grin

I am somewhat put off by the price too, though the guitar analogy would fit perfectly. Seems we both are unsure if we want to jump the gun on the Scorp'. Wish i could "Try it before you Buy it!" Cabelas has some cheap looking ones. I forget what they had.. i think i saw a Fisher and a White and something obscure that started with an S.

I'll just make a Lobo, if i can successfully.. and wait for the Scorp to be off the market and reverse engineered then make that. I'm a major cheapskate that way.

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/specific_brands_reviews/garrett_scorpion_gold_stinger_vs_fisher_gold_bug_2-t21792.0.html
that looks helpful. wow, just what i needed. smack talk about the Scorpion  Undecided  I keep going back to the Lobo VLF. I'm like a kid in the candy store: jaw breakers last a long time but they are too hard. Gummy bears are awesome too but they melt and get stuck together sometimes. lol indecisive. I guess that's why we have the magic 8 ball.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191802.html#msg191802

Offline greasemunkey
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Magic 8 ball schematic please!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191807.html#msg191807

Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:47:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by greasemunkey
Magic 8 ball schematic please!!!

LOL! I want to know how that little toy works too. I don't know why i haven't tried my trusty dusty pendulum to dowse which detector will be best.  :Smiley Might work out perfectly.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191809.html#msg191809

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All I know is a little simple country logic.   The Scorpion Gold Stinger has been in the Garrett production line for 20+ years.    If it was a crappy machine it would not have lasted all this time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191818.html#msg191818

Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 10:05:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Heh, very good point oldcoon. I had no idea it was in the product line for so long Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27119.msg191819.html#msg191819

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: