[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

enterprising placer miners do just what you describe. They build traps out of rocks in the stream bed. My experience with it is the flow rate of the water has to be steady. Too much flow and it washes everything out. too little and the trap fills with sand. Just like a sluce.  This is what happened with our trap. We panned it twice and got black sand both times then we had a big rain and it washed everything out of the pipe. If you've got a trap you got to keep checking on it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189487.html#msg189487

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 01:01:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey all, The gold trap sounds like an interesting Idea and could have some room for improvements. Probably a new topic as previously stated.
 If these dredges were getting some good gold its probably worth while having a look around for some virgin
 ground  HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189583.html#msg189583

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gambol,

I don't doubt it, the Chinese were quite meticulous by all accounts I have heard.

I've seen a whole mountain side washed away to nothing but those boulders by hydraulic mining. It looks quite strange. That is up in Oregon above La Grande. Much of it is quartz boulders. It requires a little hiking/climbing but it's nothing most people can't handle.

The Chinese up around the Warren area built some interesting rockwork houses and terraces. They were quite industrious and made as much from gardening and laundry as mining I have heard.

As for gold traps the road crews put in many of them for you... Sometimes there is a lil treasure in those corrugated drain pipes Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189631.html#msg189631

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:12:23 pm by Idaho Jones »
Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 01:13:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
I've seen a whole mountain side washed away to nothing but those boulders by hydraulic mining. It looks quite strange. That is up in Oregon above La Grande. Much of it is quartz boulders. It requires a little hiking/climbing but it's nothing most people can't handle.

Idaho Jones, it sounds like you have been hiking in my home area.  You must have been up around the old Camp Carson mines up on the hill above the Grande Ronde River.  That is quite and example of the hydraulic mining that was done in the gold areas, isn't it.  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189643.html#msg189643

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:16:33 pm by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Camp Carson is exactly where I was talking about Arfie. I used to camp there every year and scout around in the 90s. Still drop by when I am in the area.

If you take the road past the big pit up through the trees to the tee intersection and turn left. You have to walk or perhaps 4 wheeler it. About a quarter mile (or less) there is a gully on the left at the center of which is an old hardrock shaft. At the head of the gully is the remains an old flume. If you turn left at the flume and work your way through the trees and earthworks you come out on the barren hillside of quartz boulders. You are right it is an amazing example of how much earth was moved with hydraulics and why it's banned today.

Somewhere in that area is an old dredge as well. I came on it rotting in a meadow when we were riding 4 wheelers on an old road. I was certain for years it was near Camp Carson, then maybe out on the tailing piles, but I'm thinking now it's on around on the other side of the ridge since I never could find it again. Looking on Google Earth I see a lot of tailings on the back side of the ridge from Woodley. I didn't remember riding there but we were all over those mountains exploring in those days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189658.html#msg189658

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Idaho,I thought that is where you were when you described the area and location.  I've been in the entrance of that old hardrock tunnel, just looked around with a flashlight, and it had standing water in it of at least several inches.  I started going there in the early '70's through the mid '80's when my kids were growing up.  I didn't go back until 1998 when a friend took me in and by then things had really changed!  We went most of the way in on 4-wheelers then had to walk the last several hundred yards to get to the camp site.  I was somewhat disoriented until I got to the camp site, the washed gully and the pond on the other side.  Not sure I could've found my out if he hadn't been with me!  I wrote an article about that return to Camp Carson that was published in Lost Treasure in the February 2000 issue of Lost Treasure.
The main river canyon of the Grande Ronde is full of tailings from a small dredge most of the way from Woodley on up to Tanner Gulch.  Always thought I should detect them through there to see what I could find, but I've never gotten to it!  I've panned in the Grond Ronde River in that area, never found any color, but I did pan up a bunch of very small garnets!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189674.html#msg189674

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline OkletseeTopic starter
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 07:05:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cursed tailings.  I've sprained a muscle in my back giving a shovel a big heave-ho.  And then when that started getting better I sprained one in my inner thigh when I slipped wrong on a rock and tried to catch myself.  Beware the tailings!  They are evil.  Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189678.html#msg189678

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 08:52:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oldet, I'm sorry to hear you pulled a muscle in your back. Get well, those tailings piles are calling. gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189693.html#msg189693

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The wife and I are planning on hitting the dredge tailings in Colorado in late September.  Needless to say the anticipation mounts daily.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189695.html#msg189695

Offline OkletseeTopic starter
A.R.T.
Bronze Member

A.R.T.
Thank you66

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2385.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Tracker IV
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
The wife and I are planning on hitting the dredge tailings in Colorado in late September.  Needless to say the anticipation mounts daily.

Don't forget to pack the Bengay, ice packs, and heat pad!  Hope you do well.

Posted on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:49 PM
Quote:Posted by gambol1
Oldet, I'm sorry to hear you pulled a muscle in your back. Get well, those tailings piles are calling. gambol

Thanks!  Going out tomorrow for my revenge!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26212.msg189698.html#msg189698

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Jump to: