[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 11:10:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Do Picnickers, Hikers, Bikers , Bird Watchers, Walkers, Sight Seers Need a Stinking Permit?

Don't go there!

I agree with no permit and total freedom like anyone else, but in view that it was banned as it is, better to take regulation than nothing. We are all anyways subjected to general forest regulations. Perhaps our hobby is perceived as intrusive and/or lucrative as opposed to bird watchers or bikers. Fishing requires a permit and they have regulations too. Fishermen got a tangible benefit from their hobby as we do too. However, there are important differences, we help clean the environment and we do not poison the water with lead. I don't mind to contribute part of what I take if treated with fairness. I also know that somehow we are all paying for the very few that are not honoring our code of ethics. I guess that to filter out those individuals and put them out of the hobby, some regulations are needed.

Posted on: June 03, 2012, 10:59:02 PM
Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
My first question is, Where were all the Cook Count treasure hunters/metal detectorists when this was bing discussed and passed.

I don't know about the rest, but I have been sick and out of MDing until now. But you have a good question to ask the few MD clubs in Illinois. They are organized and should have a committee overseeing state policy or regulations that affect us. If they fought for our rights, I don't know because I am an independent hobbyist. However, the ban was a decision that took many by surprise for until not long ago, I detected many times in Chicago area woods and always asked officers if there was a problem with me MDing in the forest. The response was always the same, no as long as you cover your plugs. However, it is hard to believe that they banned us just for not covering a few plugs.  :Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224608.html#msg224608

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 07:49:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ron Shore of WindyCity Detectors already has a legal team on this.they're trying to get a permit system going,its not just a few holes,its hundreds.i was hosting a group hunt in april,while scouting locations(Bunker Hill)i came across dozens if not hundreds of holes,spent a few hrs filling them up,bout a week later the ban came thru,(no hunt)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224622.html#msg224622

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:53:38 am by bomber »

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 08:05:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bomber
Ron Shore of WindyCity Detectors already has a legal team on this.they're trying to get a permit system going,its not just a few holes,its hundreds.i was hosting a group hunt in april,while scouting locations(Bunker Hill)i came across dozens if not hundreds of holes,spent a few hrs filling them up,bout a week later the ban came thru,(no hunt)

Thank you for the information Bomber. I personally came across with a number of holes uncovered in Schiller Woods, my favorite woods. I should not say a few holes, but a few hobbyists that do not covered them. It is sometimes difficult to tell whether the holes were made bigger by animals. But you can tell if you see a pattern. We need to find ways to pinpoint the culprits and educate them. I hope Ron's team works something out for the benefit of the hobby.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224624.html#msg224624

Offline Lord Dracon
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 02:55:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

After several days of discussions Fight.. I got a similar respose from my local park .. nope you cannot detect here!!! Police i think that they are mainly scared that there will be a pandemic of detectorists going around digging everything up and damaging the fragile eco-system  (rare plants and insect populations)

I think all the animals in the park need permits too  Club... especially the rabbits and foxes they love diggin holes and oh the deer love eating all the newly planted trees!.. raccoons .. well don't get me started on those. Lips Sealed ... and i'm sure there are many other animals that can do more damage than a few md'ers.

and as far as holes go .. COVER THEM UP!!!  Angry  I hate watching other detectorists leaving holes, just annoys me Bang Head, esp when i go to all the trouble of making it as i found it .. ones on the beach, ya i know he tide covers most of them up.. but not all, esp the more inland ones (e.g. on/near the dunes). i would go say something .. but the missus always tells me to leave them and not to cause trouble, but I end up arguing with her saying its their fault that i cannot enjoy my hobby as much.

GL getting permissions .. i'm finding it harder and harder these days .. too much red tape and goody two shoes!! ..next they'll be saying a md is harmful to your health and you'll get cancer from it or something, so they'll be barred next.. just like using mobile phones at a petrol station. what a load of crock.. BAH  Idiot

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224652.html#msg224652

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:05:30 pm by Lord Dracon »

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 03:08:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the information Bomber!  I, too, am an independent TH'er.  No clubs anywhere near my area.  I know a lot of people with metal detectors and most of them don't go out much, or go to Arizona and the Southwest for gold.  Very rarely do I run into anyone else detecting around here.

I guess, the clubs that are in existence need to try to police the lone wolves that don't follow the Code of Ethics.  If I see someone digging wrong or trespassing I talk to them about it as gently as I can to correct their behavior.  I haven't had much problem with wrong hunting/digging/ trespassing...  Mainly because of the few people I see out detecting.

I wish the best to Ron Shore and his team.  Now the other clubs need to get in on it with them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224653.html#msg224653

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
If I see someone digging wrong or trespassing I talk to them about it as gently as I can to correct their behavior.

I have been approached twice in separate instances to join the Midwest Historical Research Society and I have not joined yet. The main reason is that my multiple weekly commitments allow me just one day to detect and that is Sunday, but I don't go out every Sunday either. Sunday is when they have meetings once a month and I guess some week days at night. Right now I can't make that commitment, but the two gentlemen that approached were really nice and I'm sure the whole club is a nice bunch. Actually these folks watched me detecting in a park and in the Schiller Woods and complimented my wife for accompanying and treasure hunting along with me. See, this is quality time for a couple and a great stress reliever for two busy professionals. How in the world I'm gonna do something to harm what has given me so much  Cry You are right we need to be more vigilant and educate others with our good example. If I see a folk not covering his/her plug properly I would say, look this is how you do it and even offer to take the trash he may be leaving behind.  Wink

Posted on: June 04, 2012, 07:36:03 PM
Quote:Posted by Lord Dracon
After several days of discussions .. I got a similar respose from my local park .. nope you cannot detect here!!!

Hi! Are you talking about Chicago parks? We can still detect in them and the beaches. My wife and I were once kicked out of a park by a female police officer who claimed we were defacing public property by digging holes and taking with us other people's property (she referred to lost items, not money). We peacefully obeyed and went to Schiller Woods where I found a nice silver quarter. Thanks officer  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224691.html#msg224691

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A few days ago Homie call the guys that dug big holds without refilling and ignored the Code of Ethics as boneheads and he is so right. This has been a problem for our hobby for many years and I have no clue on how to fix it. Most of the problem comes from the guy that gets a detector for his B day or xmas and heads out with a back hoe to find Kid's treasure in 2 hours the detector goes into storage never to be seen again because the guy gets bored. But in 2 hours this guy has done more damage to our hobby the we can fix in a year. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224698.html#msg224698

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 07:48:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
A few days ago Homie call the guys that dug big holds without refilling and ignored the Code of Ethics as boneheads and he is so right. This has been a problem for our hobby for many years and I have no clue on how to fix it.

Hi Seldom! I will be in this hobby for two years soon. However, I remembered going online and do basic research about the hobby and what to expect. I came across with this great site that has taught me so much about MD and TH. Thanks to all of you moderators and members because I became an educated hobbyst. Seldom, I think that we must begin resolving this issue with education. Metal dectectors manufacturers and or sellers should be encouraged to include the code of ethics in their packaging and or include a booklet or DVD on proper MD procedures. People should know that an MD is not a toy, but an instrument to retrieve buried stuff and that is serious business. They should also know from the beginning that people in general may get upset and are sensitive to see holes on the ground made by unskilled hobbysts. In the view of many, but especially concerned authorities, those actions show disregard for the environment and others. Let's begin by doing what the cigarrette companies do with their users, that is, including a warning that MD owners may cause damage to the hobby and others by being careless. I think that we must begin setting standards for the use of an MD, and manufacturers should be responsible for laying those standards with the input from experienced detectorists like you and others.  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224735.html#msg224735

Offline Lord Dracon
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Naa i'm from the uk . and its a local park in Cheshire not far from where i live (therefor not Chicago).. just typical i try to be 'above board' and get permission first  Sad

no Racoons here in the uk .. but i heard of what they do over your side of the pond  Club

I agree with you there, a code of Ethics and good practice needs to be given with every metal detector supplied ! Great and if i see anyone not filling their holes in its an instant Punishment, politely done of course  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224886.html#msg224886

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Lord Dracon
no Racoons here in the uk .. but i heard of what they do over your side of the pond

Love you great sense of humor. Is not too difficult to tell an animal hole from a human-made one, but I know animals can reopen plugs and make them look bigger that they originally were.   Undecided  I'll be hitting Chicago beaches soon. It's also a lot of fun. Need to find some pocket change to buy batteries and water. Time also to clean all the relics I've found in the woods Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36646.msg224955.html#msg224955

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: