[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:38:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sue
goldigger, interesting pictures. Even though those roads seem close to those ruins, I imagine someone, passing by, probably wouldn"t have any idea they were even there.

hardluck, A book by Farini/Hunt, Through the Kalahari Desert, has a full view on books.google.com. I was supposed to be working awhile ago <sigh> but I didn"t see his description of the city. Admit I got sidetracked with a section on diamonds. My connection here at home is not fast, but thought I would pass along the link.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=TzUPAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Through+the+kalahari+desert#v=onepage&q=&f=false

This story about the lost city gets stranger the more I read. Some think the city was partially destroyed when the continent shifted - calling it almost an Atlantis. Others say Farini doctored rocks with lines. The following book has photos of what that author thinks Farini saw. Another google book. I think the link should go to page 409 of Lost Cities & Ancient Mysteries Africa and Arabia by David Hatcher Childress.

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=prq6ykijSyQC&pg=PA392&lpg=PA392&dq=clement+kalahari&source=bl&ots=dRe-mlQZUX&sig=ronOU26iVEkLcXOPK79Fz8ID_Uo&hl=en&ei=tWPrSprlOJXiMNaNpYMM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=clement%20kalahari&f=false

I wondered myself if those ruins were visible from ground level, they might not be more than an inch or two, just enough to show from the heavenly eye! And I have more!

Those books are both interesting, praat u Afrikaans? It would seem to be handy at least for one book... I found a prime example of the Afrikaans double negative, in viewing it! No, I am not fluent in Afrikaans, wish I was.

If I can get a copy of each book, I want read with a note bok, take notes and I might get a few clues on where to look with Google Earth!

It will be a while, though.

goldigger
goldigger, interesting pictures. Even though those roads seem close to those ruins, I imagine someone, passing by, probably wouldn"t have any idea they were even there.

As I said, I have more pictures, a couple from the Namib or the Kalahari and one from Chile which is  a place ripe for metal locators, if you can get along with the archaeologists and talk fast in Spanish.

The pictures:
1) tombs - you may have noticed all the bumps, in some of the pictures, these seem to be tombs and this picture accidentally shows a nice pentagon arrangement!
2) Afghan - another buried building.
3) Sahara - this perfectly straight object is about 2.4 miles long... look at the scale, lower left. There are several more of these, not too far away.
4) This a strange platform, perhaps a temple, east of the Silk Road, over the rocky ridge, and on the edge of the sand dunes. It can be found from the co-ordinates or the black shadow just to the north west.
5) a view of the only think remotely looking like a lost city... I have no idea what it is. I have a closer view to upload, later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56568.html#msg56568

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Afghan4-3bldg.jpg
kalahari2.jpg
platform.jpg
sahara1.jpg
tombs.jpg

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:50:55 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 01:37:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello ALL

Goldigger thank you for sharing those amazing pictures.  Great

They are amazing and what is becoming more amazing that we can now zero in on region from the other side of the globe to look for lost cities etc..It still amazes me the resources we have at our finger tips. Oh how I wish I had all of this over 25 years ago!

Your idea about looking at the Kalahari desert for lost cities is very good one. If wheel marks can be detected? Then I cannot see why not a city buried under sand could not be seen from space. As you can see from some of your pictures some would only slight surface distortions at ground level, but from space you can see the outlines of vanished buildings.

Sue thank you again for sharing your info and link. I saw Farini's book on EBAY they want $1000.00 for it. Great

And yes you are correct on the ground some of these ruins may be only dips in the ground and people could walk right over them without knowing it.

I will read the online version tonight.

Here is some thing else that may or may not be connected to the Lost City of the Kalahari Mystery.

Some say this is a baboon head other said it is head of Buddha? It is claimed to have been found in the Kalahari desert.

The other photograph is claimed to what Farini may of seen on ground level?

Thank you all for making this an interesting thread.

Hardluck  Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56573.html#msg56573

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

274297551_tp.jpg
baboon budah sculpture.jpg
dolerite.jpg

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 07:57:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great pictures, goldigger - you"ve discovered some interesting areas. The pentagon arrangement and temple platform really captured my attention. All were neat, but those two - cool finds! That long straight line. Big ?

Hardluck, $1000 for Farini"s book - wow. I didn"t see any map on the google one - I didn"t get to spend much time on it though. I checked the university library, here, and they didn"t have a copy. Nice pictures adding to the puzzle. My first thought was monkey art, but what do I know. It sure looks old.

Here"s an article I saw awhile ago - I wanted to share it and, while it doesn"t perfectly fit here, it is from an area just east of the Kalahari. It was legendary, for hundreds of years, as a hill with a treasure of gold buried at the summit. It was found in the 1930s. The Hill of the Jackal with a picture of some gold artifacts. Sue

Please Register or Login

http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle/travel/article171747.ece

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56638.html#msg56638

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:08:52 pm by Sue »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 09:38:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great pictures, goldigger - you"ve discovered some interesting areas. The pentagon arrangement and temple platform really captured my attention. All were neat, but those two - cool finds! That long straight line. Big ?

Hardluck, $1000 for Farini"s book - wow. I didn"t see any map on the google one - I didn"t get to spend much time on it though. I checked the university library, here, and they didn"t have a copy. Nice pictures adding to the puzzle. My first thought was monkey art, but what do I know. It sure looks old.

Here"s an article I saw awhile ago - I wanted to share it and, while it doesn"t perfectly fit here, it is from an area just east of the Kalahari. It was legendary, for hundreds of years, as a hill with a treasure of gold buried at the summit. It was found in the 1930s. The Hill of the Jackal with a picture of some gold artifacts. Sue

Please Register or Login

http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle/travel/article171747.ece

That is a great article and much in line with the discussion, really. A nice picture of a kopje (means head.)

How do you find these articles? It must be a special skill..... like dowsing.  Grin

I have some more pictures.... maybe.

Well.... I had a disappearing problem, a while ago, and now I can not find them, well, later.

Ah!  Found them.....

1) another look at the Kalahari site;
2) this thing is HUGE! Maybe just a big corral;
3) this is a big building;
40 a site in Chile, partly excavated.

There are many sites in Chile, some just melted mud pyramids, others are whole towns.

That object, in the Sahara has more like it, some well buried  in sand, it must be 80 feet tall, at least, but what is it and why is it??

I forgot to mention, those *bumps,* in the Takla Makan pictures, are tombs, I am fairly certain, that picture with the pentagon arrangement was sheer accident, I never noticed until after I uploaded it!

Those tombs are 20 to 40 feet across, at least.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56647.html#msg56647

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

bldg4.jpg
bldgs2.jpg
chile1.jpg
immense.jpg
kalahari1.jpg

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:57:47 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline DragunX5
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm VI - DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:24:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow,

Those pics really capture the imagination. Do you have the co-ordinates for each site?
Like you say, why and what are they.

We all know the stories of lost cities and what they yield.

Might be worth a trip Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg56666.html#msg56666

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by DragunX5
Wow,

Those pics really capture the imagination. Do you have the co-ordinates for each site?
Like you say, why and what are they.

We all know the stories of lost cities and what they yield.

Might be worth a trip Smiley

Yup! they are on each photo as it comes right off Google Earth... just enlarge and copy! Bear in mind, the Takla Makan is in China, so if you want to treasure hunt, there, be familiar with all the rules and regulations.  Kiss   Grin

South Africa may be a lot less restrictive, but they have rules, as well, as for Chile, we had some discussion on that, last summer. It should be on here, somewhere. Both South Africa and Chile have some amazingly dangerous diseases.... choke, gasp...  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg57141.html#msg57141

goldigger

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 07:20:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All.

Gold digger your mention of the Takla Makan has sparked my old brain cells, the ones I have left  Grin

Memory of an old book. So I looked through my files. There was an explorer searching for the fabled lake Lop Nor allegedly mentioned by Marco Polo who claimed the city was on the shore of a great lake or inland sea.

There was an expedition in or around 1900 they could no find no trace of the lake. However one explorer had a theory about the legendary wandering lake it depended on climatic conditions and finally in 1935 he discovered that the rivers every so many years change there course and some times for a time refill the lake.To day the lake does not exist and the Chinese have used the area for atomic bomb tests.

In the course of their exploration they rediscovered the lost city of Lou Lan which one of a series of forts along a desert part of silk road that was abandoned. they several hundred graves many had been looted by treasure hunters. However in some they found well preserved remains of people who lived over 2000 years ago. There head stones were timber poles stuck into the ground. They found several cemeteries like this.

The site had remains of houses temple and a curtain wall. Much was buried by sand and debris.

For me I enjoy old Photographs of old long forgotten expeditions into remote and rarely seen parts of the world and that some times another interesting story to tell.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg58050.html#msg58050

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Lou Lan Ruins.jpg
Lou Lan Small City Map.jpg
Map_of_the_Lop_Nor_region_by_Folke_Bergman_1935.jpg

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:29:56 am by hardluck »
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello All.

Gold digger your mention of the Takla Makan has sparked my old brain cells, the ones I have left  Grin

Memory of an old book. So I looked through my files. There was an explorer searching for the fabled lake Lop Nor allegedly mentioned by Marco Polo who claimed the city was on the shore of a great lake or inland sea.

There was an expedition in or around 1900 they could no find no trace of the lake. However one explorer had a theory about the legendary wandering lake it depended on climatic conditions and finally in 1935 he discovered that the rivers every so many years change there course and some times for a time refill the lake.To day the lake does not exist and the Chinese have used the area for atomic bomb tests.

In the course of their exploration they rediscovered the lost city of Lou Lan which one of a series of forts along a desert part of silk road that was abandoned. they several hundred graves many had been looted by treasure hunters. However in some they found well preserved remains of people who lived over 2000 years ago. There head stones were timber poles stuck into the ground. They found several cemeteries like this.

The site had remains of houses temple and a curtain wall. Much was buried by sand and debris.

For me I enjoy old Photographs of old long forgotten expeditions into remote and rarely seen parts of the world and that some times another interesting story to tell.

Hardluck  Wink

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wo! I bet they had to drag those poles a long way!!

Now you know why modern grave stones are short.... experience tells!

I kind of thought that The Takla Makan looked like a huge dried up lake or sea. It is rimmed by geological walls, but it must be drained.... But then, look at the Aral Sea, the Russians destroyed it with (green) hydro projects.

I will have to look that up...  those *ruins* look much like the bumps in the uploaded photos... but I  think  they are a necropolis.  Wise

The net is starting to get pesky, here, as it is now 6:30AM, and I have been up since 2 PM yesterdiddyday! so it is getting hard to tolerate... ZZZZZZ

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg58051.html#msg58051

goldigger

Offline archipurg
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm resurrecting this topic due to having found an invaluable resource: a microfilm/internet version of "Through The Kalahari" with illustrations.  I hope you guys are still around and enjoy. =)

Please Register or Login

http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_36715#page/n356/mode/1up

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg186863.html#msg186863

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 11:29:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Archipurg

Welcome to thunting. I am still around like a bad penny always turns up Grin

Wow it has been awhile thank you for digging this topic up, Thanks for the interesting link. It has always been an interesting story a mystery perhaps indeed.

Have you researched this story much?

Thanking you in advance.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8930.msg186865.html#msg186865

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:37:12 pm by hardluck »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: