[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline FauxGold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey, my friend and I have been looking into this for a couple weeks now, and we've made up 3 or so different routes that he may have taken. We're going after it this summer(I know, I know, we're stupid, the heat, blah-blah-blah) and we were wondering if any of you would like to hike/hunt with us.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219834.html#msg219834

Offline otwalcott
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 03:42:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guys my friend and I have recently been looking in to this mystery. So a lot of accounts I have seen feature a short sentence or two about a guy named Ray Howland finding a chunk of rose quartz near the west side of Picacho Butte. This land form is mentioned in some accounts of Wagoner's route. I think that maybe they could be the same vein, if not from the same place. The area a little east of miner's needle and west of Picacho Butte may be a good place to look, it also has major potential for being the region that he got out through. I think more research on this area should be done.

"Fred Mullins, a stage coach driver out of Pinal, told a story about a man who discovered gold on the west side of Picacho Butte in 1894. Picacho Butte is the hill east of Whiskey Spring. The man, named Wagoner would board the stage in Pinal and depart in the desert on the south side of the Superstition Mountains near the Whitlow Ranch. After taking out hand picked rose-quartz gold ore he would meet the stage for a ride back to Pinal. Wagoner told Mullins his route from Whitlow Ranch was up Randolph Canyon, up the Red Tank Canyon, down LaBarge and around Picacho Butte. Wagoner said he concealed the outcropping with brush and rocks and planted a circle of trees around the site so he could locate it in the future. In 1952, gold in rose-quartz float was found by prospector and miner Ray Howland on the west side of Picacho Butte. No one has reported the exact location of Wagoner's diggings".

Btw, Faux is the friend. We're the duo. Great

Posted on: April 11, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

Please Register or Login

http://www.angelfire.com/super2/johnskowronek/whskysprngs/whskymap.jpg

A map of the area I was decribing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219837.html#msg219837

Offline FauxGold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

^das ist mein freund. But yeah, we're thinking that it's between Picacho Butte and Miner's Needle, somewhere along or off of Grand Enchantment Trail. We're going to check that trail out, along with the surrounding area, and see if we can find anything, maybe even more upcroppings. We believe that if it isn't the same ledge that Wagoner stumbled on that Ray had found, then perhaps it's the same vein that resurfaces in the area, perhaps more than twice. We'd love any more...proffesional or experienced help with this, so anybody who'd like to accompany us would be gladly accepted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219838.html#msg219838

Offline otwalcott
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Google Earth area.

Posted on: April 11, 2012, 03:54:36 PM
Hey can we find out the names of Fred Mullins kids, I kind of want to know if we can get in contact of anyone in relation to him.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219844.html#msg219844

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

map.img.jpg

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 12:16:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

FauxGold & otwalcott - is there any way I can talk you OUT of doing this in the summer?  Three men from Utah perished there not so long ago, <2010> and they were not so ill-prepared as one might get the impression from the talk on the internet; they had brought lots of extra water, cached it at various spots along their trail, brought umbrellas to stay out of the noon day heat (shade) and did most of their hiking either at night or in the early hours/late afternoons.  You can get into very serious trouble way too easily in summer and not even realize you are in trouble until it is too late.  I hope you will re-schedule your trip for spring, fall or winter; that gold has been sitting there for centuries and will still be there come next fall. 

On the rose quartz with gold (float) found, just my opinion but I would say that almost has to be from Wagoner's ledge; it is not that common and how many different veins of rose quartz with gold could there be in that area?  The next part of the equation is how that float ended up where it was found - was it dropped by Wagoner himself, or did it simply travel down hill from the ledge by the actions of nature?  If Wagoner dropped it, (a strong possibility) then did he drop it on his way out, and which direction was he traveling when he dropped it?  Not trying to discourage you about this, except for your timing - it is a really bad idea to go in summer and if there is any way you could make the trip later or earlier in the year than summer it is well worth the delay.  Why take extra chances that are not necessary?  It can hit 120 in the shade and precious little shade in those canyons, and you will need to be drinking a lot of water just to keep from dehydrating, leaving not much room in your pack for all the gold!  In most of the range, cell phones won't work so you can't even call for help.

Please reconsider your timing, no matter how much gold you might find it won't help you if you are deceased!  I hope you will take a look at your calender and see if you can't make your trip for a time when it won't be such a risk to your lives.  If you can only go out treasure hunting in summer, I can suggest a dozen other lost mines or treasures you can hunt for that are in places where it won't be so dangerous, just say the word.  One example is yet another Lost Dutchman gold mine, the little known '3rd' one located somewhere near Prescott in the Bradshaws, which would be best to look for in summer.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219939.html#msg219939

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline mrs.oroblanco
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Female
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'd like to add that the Superstitions are not only unforgiving - but, even sometimes in October, it is so horrible that an experienced hiker can run out of water and come back late to camp - overdue by 14 hours - waterless, shocky - and with a picture in his camera of the mountain lion who thought he was going to be her next meal.  That happened just this past October, and the temps were over 90 degrees up there.

Beth (Mrs.O)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219949.html#msg219949

Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

FauxGold & otwalcott I recognise that fire in belly all raring to go. Wink

Oroblanco and Mrs Oroblanco has given you some very wise advice. I have no doubt you both have the hunger to search for this lost gold, However I think you should make better use of your summer researching the topic. As Oroblanco said the lost gold is not going anywhere.

Before you set off anywhere I suggest establish for certain the truth of the story. It would be ironic to lose your life over a legend would it not?

You both have a unique chance here to use the forum here to get a better understanding of the legend. I could give the names of the children but I will not for now until I am satisfied we have the right Fred Mullins.

Successful treasure hunters are methodical ones my friends.

There other parts of the story we need to confirm with dates and location. And sure with combined effort of those interested we might dig up some useful information? A good treasure hunter studies his craft well. Until all the dot's and T's are crossed with verifiable evidence to support his conclusion he will commit himself.

Treasure hunting is always a gamble but minimising the risk and maximising the chances some times pay off for those who have patience.

And now here is some thing to think about? Is the following possibly the full name of Wagoner?

There is a Newspaper story in Los Angeles Herald about a Fred Wagoner of Yuma Arizona that shot a J fry Dead over despute over a Ditch in 1889?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219955.html#msg219955

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Los Angeles Herald Volume 32 Number 166, 24 September 1889 Frank Wagoner.jpg

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:54:36 am by hardluck »
Offline otwalcott
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 08:01:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I definitely don't want to go in the summer, i didn't realize that was said. we'll probably head out when it gets nicer later in the year. I agree that we still need a ton of research to be done first.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg219962.html#msg219962

Offline FauxGold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by FauxGold
We're going after it this summer(I know, I know, we're stupid, the heat, blah-blah-blah)

Hahaha I had thought it was obvious I was joking, nobody in their right mind would EVER go out into the Arizona Superstitions in the middle of summer. If anything, we might go in November. We know the heat and the dangers, but in the off-chance that I may have been serious, I respect you for trying to talk someone out of suicide.Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220029.html#msg220029

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 11:28:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Whew!  Thanks amigos you had me worried there for a moment!  I know that makes me officially a worry-wart and 'fraidy-cat' about heading into the Superstitions in summer time, but the risks are so much higher that on the chance you were serious I thought I better say something.  I would not want someone to hike in and get into trouble because I told them to go! 

I know that there are plenty of people that DO go hiking in the Superstitions in summer and survive alright, but they are really taking a lot of un-necessary chances and are not packing out fifty pounds of gold in quartz per trip.  Anyway thank you for clearing up my worries, I didn't realize you were just yanking the proverbial chain!  (You must have a good sense of humor!)   Beer Chug

That is a great find Hardluck - and yes that very well could be the man we are after.  1889 is just a few years before 1894, and maybe he had another good reason to head out of Arizona?  (Like legal problems?)   Shocked Shame

Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.   Great
Oroblanco

Coffee?

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220071.html#msg220071

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: