[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2012, 05:48:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

I am going to throw our a curve ball tonight. Wink We all asume the name that Fred Mullins gave of the man was called Wagoner? Correct?

What if Fred Mullins statement was later mixed up a little bit in the retelling?

Wagoner can be a Christan name or a surname? but it could also be a job title? Wagoner is old term for those who drove a wagon simular to what a modern truck driver is and as with a coachman to a modern bus driver today. So perhaps Fred Fred Mullins never gave the surname of the man but gave his job title?

So in some respects Fred Mullin perhaps never really gave any name at all? He just said some Wagoner (truck driver ) found the gold but in later in the retelling by others it became the name of the man?

In the 1880 and later sensus Job titles was often recorded. It could be possible to find a name someone who lived in Pinal or Mesa Arizonia that was listed as a wagoner as a occupation?

Depending on how many are found it could be an interesting lead?

Hardluck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220080.html#msg220080

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 06:10:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Wagoner can be a Christan name or a surname? but it could also be a job title?

LOL Good point hardluck. Thats why I love what we do always a new way to look at things

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220081.html#msg220081

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2012, 06:48:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Seldom

It is always a pleasure picking methodically through these legends and see what people come up with. You never quite know how they turn out?

Hardluck Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220084.html#msg220084

Offline otwalcott
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 08:52:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

You know, Hardluck, I actually thought about wagoner being a title or just a generic name for the man, because his name was either lost or not revealed. The man in the news paper could potentially be him, but I whink we should look in the census for Pinal or Mesa like you said.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220090.html#msg220090

Offline loke
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck,
You might very well be right in that - it doesn't take much of change from a 'wagoner' to Wagoner *lol*
Also - how the heck did you find that clipping in the LA newspaper? I have googled for Frank Wagoner for hours on end - and I haven't even found the story you refer to.
Oh, I've found plenty of Frank Wagoners, but certainly no-one that fits the timeline we are looking for ...
However, I'm not done with him yet! And as Oroblanco says - he might well have had other reasons than health to come to AZ.

I believe you may have the name of one or more of Mullins offspring (and no *smile* I'm not gonna ask for them), maybe it would be possible to contact any of the now-living relatives and just check if they are 'in' on the story?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220132.html#msg220132

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Loke

Ah.. One of the Professional secrets of the trade from some one who has spent years researching treasure legends all over the world.  Cool

The name being a job title is a possibility? Wagoner may or may not be our man? We have many interesting threads by nothing quite there yet to tie this together?

Fred mullins had 3 children an possible as you discovered 3 step children from a possible second marriage. He had a step daughter living with in 1900 census and a biological son. All Children are long dead so the task is trace their descendants is no tasy task. I suspect that the two living with him in 1900 would be the best prospects. However we are trying to trace people from a hundred years. A lot of a story an be changed in a oral story handed down through the family?

Another good lead is what Oroblanco mentioned is to search the local newspapers at the time of any mention of these names of interest?

Another lead is follow up on that newspaper story in the local papers that story about Fred Wagoner shooting J Fry to find out his fate?

Another lead to try is look for any published cemetery records of wagoner around the area in question?

Any court records on the case of wagoner would be good also?

I am sure everyone interested in this story could find some interesting bits of the puzzle? I think some people out there will be sitting behind thier computers with thier brain matter ticking over Grin

This has the makings of a very interesting topic. Great

It would be interesting to see what people come up with?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220151.html#msg220151

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 12:03:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hola to all,
 the rose quartz with gold that Oroblanco posted will be sending gold fever out all over the web!! Thanks for that Oro it is a beautiful sight
 The supers is a long way from where I live. If I were a bit closer it would be very tempting to go out hiking and have a bit of a poke around  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220240.html#msg220240

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 04:56:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldnboy

Have seen your posts for a while? I might have some thing for you that might be connected to that lost mne story you told me?

Now where did I put that file Embarrassed

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220254.html#msg220254

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hola amigos,

Goldnboy - thank you but I can't take credit for that lovely specimen, the photo is from a site that sells mineral specimens and I think that particular one came from Australia, my purpose was to illustrate the kind of ore that Wagoner was mining for in other discussions some folks take to calling all sorts of quartz "rose" when it is really white, orange, green, grey and not rose quartz at all.  I want our readers to know what we are talking about and not make false assumptions, for more than one treasure hunter has concluded that the Wagoner ledge is the same with Waltz's white quartz and with Deering's mine etc.  It is a different critter entirely, unless the whole story is full of falsehoods which does not appear to be the case.

That is a tantalizing angle to research, that the name Wagoner may be a corruption of a job title of wagoner.  The only caveat I would raise is that a driver of a stage is usually recorded in that time period as a stage driver, and a person who drives freight wagons is usually recorded as a teamster.  I have never run across the use of that term "wagoner" as a job title for the late 1800's, which does not mean it can't be the case.  

Also keep in mind that various different spellings are possible when you are researching, in this instance not so many as with some, but Wagoner can be found spelled Wagner, it depends on whose ears were converting the spoken name to a spelled word.   The Dutchman legend has more variations and even evolved into Walzer from Waltz, probably from the way it was pronounced.  So is someone said "Wagoner" but quickly, the 'o' could get lost.

Tom Kollenborn did an article on the lost Wagoner ledge, and came up with a different first name, as well as different landmarks and even town of residence, here is an extract, quote

Quote:Posted by {author}
It was spring-time when John Wagoner arrived in Florence, Arizona Territory, 1883. Wagoner traveled west for his health. He suffered from a severer respiratory illness. Eastern doctors had advised him to move to a hot dry climate to rebuild his health. Wagoner made short forays into the desert surrounding Florence to regain his strength. As he regained his health his trips became longer and more intensive. He would board the stage at Florence and travel to a site near Black Point on Queen Creek. From here he would hike in a northeastern direction into the Superstitions carrying nothing more than a canteen and small black suitcase. On his return trip he would catch the stage near the “Narrows” on Queen Creek for a ride back to Florence.

unquote
That article was online at one time, but I cannot find it now; it was published in the 'Kollenborn Chronicles' so is probably still online somewere.>

Anyway I do not wish to throw the proverbial wet blanket or discourage anyone, just suggesting to keep an open mind and probabilities when researching.  Good luck and good hunting amigos, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.   Great
Oroblanco

Coffee Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220322.html#msg220322

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:21:25 pm by oroblanco »

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline loke
Pull Tab

Thank you2

Activity
0%

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2012, 08:20:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh no! Not (yet) another Wagoner/Wagner/Waggoner!!
Oroblanco, my friend, do you have _any_ idea whatsoever how many hours I have spent on google for the elusive son-of-a-bitch?
be it - Charles or Joe or Frank - been there, done that. And the result? One big zilch!! I'm going out of my mind here!  Sad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35886.msg220351.html#msg220351

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:22:27 pm by loke »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: