[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 03:49:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Idaho Jones How did you go with records on John Edward Davis? That seems like an interesting lead.

Hello Dig4it  Welcome Thank you for your interesting post. I hope you have enjoyed this topic as much as I have.

Goldnboy that pub is looking pretty good.

But old hardluck has spent more than his fair share in them. So I have to be good.  Grin

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg97572.html#msg97572

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 06:05:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all, I didnt make it for a drink at the pub today!! The link made earlier of pirates and tavern owners could be a good lead. Sounds like a likely retirement plan for that kind of lifestyle  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg97600.html#msg97600

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 09:57:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hardluck and GB,

So far I haven't tried to trace Davis back in the Americas. I was actually looking for some info on Blackbeard and saw the reference to Porto Bello. I did find a library link to the file but it's not open to the general public and I don't have access.

Please Register or Login

http://sunzi1.lib.hku.hk/ER/detail/space/2788351

The search continues Smiley

I still cannot access the volume, all copies are restricted that I have found.

It was actually written by Charles Leslie and not Edward Vernon. The taking of Porto Bello seems to refer to Vernon commanding a force in the 1740s, far to late for what I had hoped. 

The book is said to contain eyewitness accounts of Port Royal's fall into the sea. That would be interesting.

Only one tidbit I found relating to Davis, clipped supposedly from the Leslie work.

"The redoubtable John Davis carried fire and sword into Nicaragua and St. Augustine, retiring with immense booty."

Perhaps he did Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg98129.html#msg98129

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 10:38:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

Thanks for the link.

It is one of my pet hates that some institutions hold our history to ransom. Historical information is not theirs to keep, they do not have the copyright as it has expired with the long dead author. This is an example of many institutions where public access is denied. This is not state secrets. Its just another example of the elite "club" Our tax payer funded 'Archeologists ascribe to"  Angry

However well done for finding it. Great that is an interesting volumes I will add that to my long list of books and records and volumes I one day hope to get access to.

This poses an interesting question is the John Davis related to Edward Davis? Or is John Davis this actually Edward Davis? Or is this John Davis another personal all together???

Thanks Idaho Jones for the Intriguing post.

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg98132.html#msg98132

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 01:09:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck, glad you have enjoyed the post, I have learned a lot in digging for tidbits Smiley

I totally agree on the restricted access. I can see governing access to old or ancient books somewhat but this one is transcribed to the web. Where is the harm there?

Edward Davis is listed as John Davis in a few documents. Just because of the similar nature of occupation and friends I believe they are the same man. Edward Davis was a large muscular man though not described as tall, while John Davis remains a mystery as yet.

Point of fact to keep in mind is that all three names, John, Edward, and Davis are very common. I cannot therefore rule out they are two seperate people.

Back to digging  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg98167.html#msg98167

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 05:06:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello ALL

Idaho Jones well done with your research.  Clapp

I wonder what happened to Davis partner in crime Captain William Knight?

hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg98180.html#msg98180

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 08:38:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

So where did William Knight go after the treasure split at Juan Fernandez?

Perhaps he took his new wealth to America and settled down? Here is a piece from a geneology work in the Louisiana area:

As indicated on the Knight Family Tree, the name William has been handed down repeatedly in every generation since Peter?s son William in the 1600?s. William was in every Knight family in Virginia, in Bulloch County, Georgia and in Washington Parish, LA. The name William Knight is still found in almost every Knight family, today. James is also a very common name in the Knight family, both in Louisiana and Georgia. Alvin Knight said that that there were so many William Knights and James Knights in Washington Parish in the 1800's that people had to start giving them nick names so that everybody would know which one they were talking about.

Just a wild guess at this point for somewhere to start. I'm guessing he didn't die in the company of pirates or we would likely have an idea. Perhaps he made a name change or just became mundane enough not to show up on the radar. I do know people like to name their children after prominant or famous ancestors. Perhaps he was the start of it all? The search goes on Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg98233.html#msg98233

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 06:15:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

Hmmm..... I see you point either William Knight was a popular name or he was the first discover viagara?  Grin

Perhaps our William knight lived to be old and Grey with the wealth stolen from Sana?

Its nice to find that maybe some of these scalawags lived to old age.

Hardluck  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg98461.html#msg98461

Offline john470
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 03:40:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck - very interesting that you saw the 1994 documentary in which Maria Eugenia Beeche Brum presented (copies of) the letters supposedly written by Cornelius Webb to George Anson. I was beginning to wonder whether even the existence of the documentary might be a hoax!

Could you by any chance post the details of who made the documentary and when and for whom? It's variously said to have been made by the Discovery Channel or the BBC, or in cooperation between them, but I haven't been able to track it down. I'd very much like to get hold of a copy.

I first heard the Cornelius Webb story when I was about 12 in the mid-1970s. I specifically remember reading that Cornelius Webb found the treasure on Juan Fernandez and then reburied it. (I have a family interest in Juan Fernandez). What I don't recall is where I actually read this! I think it was in some kind of 'list' book, containing a large number of lists including a 'list of the world's top 10 treasures', but it would seem very hard to find the source at this distance in time. Webb was called a pirate. I don't recall Anson being mentioned. I haven't been able to find any indication that the story was abroad in the 1950s, but it was certainly out in the mid-1970s.

According to Glyn Williams in his book 'The Prize of All the Oceans', there was some British colonial interest in establishing a base on Juan Fernandez in the early 1750s, even if it didn't come to much.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg162092.html#msg162092

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 06:37:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello john470

The documentary series was called Treasure islands. There was about 13 episodes. Possible produced by ITV. I think it was a British series. I saw it around 1994 but it could of been produced earlier.

There was an episode on  Juan Fernandez. Most of the story was about Alexander Selkirk and a general history of the island and a screen hot of his alleged cave. An interview about Maria Beeche and her alleged story of the treasure and there was a very brief screen 2 second shot of the alleged documents supposedly found in England.

It was the same documentary that inspired Bernard Keiser to waste his money there.

I hope this has been of some help.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14766.msg162101.html#msg162101

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: