[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 03:51:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

I wont get started here  Funny no need anyway........the moderators are doing a fine job without my smarta$$ 2 cents worth  Clapp when they start allowing fantasy advice to be posted without being contested.........I'll be gone. Fortunately I think Christian knows how lucky he is to have the moderators he has and that will never happen.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195715.html#msg195715

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by signman
I think we learned that this site is run by the Nazis.

I came here merely to offer help to the original poster and 3 moderators who know nothing about the KGC (1 even says they never existed which says a lot about him) start attacking me.  I'm the bad guy because I didn't just lay down and take it.  That makes me arrogant.  Now I'm a troll from Tnet.  It's hard for me to believe that Christian is happy with the moderators he's selected.  Members will read through the thread and see the truth.  You guys don't know jack.

I came here merely to offer help to the original poster and 3 moderators who know nothing about the KGC (1 even says they never existed which says a lot about him) start attacking me.

Son let me tell you something, the 3 mods you decided to pick a fight with have forgot more about the KGC and treasure hunting then you will ever know. As I have said before the internet is a piss poor place to research and thats where all  your info comes from. Try doing some  real research find some real facts to back up your ideals and then post them.
I am sorry your feelings got hurt but that happens when no nothing armchair want to bee's come out and try to play with real Thunters.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195717.html#msg195717

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 06:24:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by signman
I think we learned that this site is run by the Nazis.

You dont like it Just because our Global Moderators Actually do real research and know what their talking about.
YOU have come here just to claim the glory of Knowledge using a fantasy Myth to steal that of which you have no right to claim.

And now you call us Nazis, Well at least they stood up to their convictions even though they were Wrong,
Which is more than you have done,

Posted on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:41 AM
But what is even more stupid is that you are still directing this thread to be about you

I still stand by every comment I have made here because you prove me right every time you post,

It's OK to be proved wrong about something but it is how you use that information is where the Honor Lies
Our comments of how makings that you claim be on a tree of not more than 30 yrs old
seems to be from a mythical group from the early 1900s,

That tree takes me back to 1981 at the most, so you fill in the gap of the missing 80-100 + yrs.
It does not add up and the numbers are all wrong

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195722.html#msg195722

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:14:23 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline overhill
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 07:12:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Could we just try to help backwoodsdiva with his interesting finds? Thanks a bunch to all. Kiss

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195724.html#msg195724

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 07:30:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by overhill
Could we just try to help backwoodsdiva with his interesting finds? Thanks a bunch to all. Kiss

Overhill backwoodsdiva has not posted since July 9th and this subject got stuffed
the moment signman started to his put down of moderators and make up history
instead of researching it, sorry about that but this thread is about his 15 minates of fame

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195725.html#msg195725

Offline TheBryantFamilyChronicles
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

DMT, LLC Radar
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 01:31:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have stayed silent until I had more information and I didn't want to interrupt the previous exchanges.

There are a few questions one might have looking at these carvings:
(1) What are they?
(2) How old are they?
(3) Were they made by the same person or in about the same period of time?

Please see the attached pictures.   I have enhanced them using image processing.   The initials are HDH on one tree.   The second tree looks like it has a lasso or noose.  There is a second object carved in that same tree, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is.

I tried using my American Tree reference book to help identify these trees, which I hoped would clue me to the age of the carvings.  In fast growing trees, initials can widen and eventually disappear.   In old trees, they go remain for many years.    I had a hard time with the limited amount of tree shown in the pictures.   So I sent these pictures to a tree expert in central Alabama.  He is the Regional Extension Agent for Community Forestry.   

The tree expert said he couldn't be 100% sure, but he said it looked like a Ailianthus. (He'd like to have a picture of the entire tree to be sure.) If it wasn't this, it was likely a Lonciera or Broussonetia.   Those are very, very fast growing trees and the Ailianthus has a short lifespan -- about 60 or so years.   The Ailianthus can reach 12 inches in diameter in less than 10 years.  The fact that letters HDH are wide means the tree is a fast grower, which is consistent with what the tree expert advised. 

The other tree looks like a young Platanus (Sycamore) he said.  Those trees can have a lifespan of hundreds of years.  But he said it was a young one.  The American Sycamore grows fast to maturity -- in about 20 years.  After that, the tree grows very slowly.   If you look at the carvings on this tree, you can see that they have not thickened like the initials on the other tree.  So the carvings were probably made near the end of maturity or just after.   

I was worried that maybe the carvings were done by two people.  From the tree analysis, we can't confirm this for sure.  But we can confirm that they were made within a few years of each other.  We also know that the markings cannot be from any group (real or imaginary) from the 1800's.   They are likely less than 40 years old at best, which agrees with what homefire said.   The tree expert agreed with this analysis. 

I have searched many places for the letters HDH and one item came up that seems plausible.  "Hang Dem High."  That would be consistent with the noose carving.   But I did find many other possibilities -- including initials of a judge for tax cases.   There is even a revolver (pistol) made with those initials etched on them.  But most references keep taking me back to about the 1960's.  I could not find anything specific to central Alabama that had these letters.   Of course, it could be just someone passing the time and carving their own initials.   I sort of lost interest in looking deeper once I figured out the tree age.

There is another point, which may be useful or not in this case.  The Ailianthus is an invasive species.  They spread quickly.  If there is more than one or two of these trees around, then it normally points to a plot of land that is unkept.  These are not normally planted trees and are usually thinned or removed if near dwellings or homesteads.  So if you have a few of these, it is likely that not many people have been living around in that area for a while.  I don't know if that is a good thing or not for a treasure hunter.

So in summary, the carvings are not old.  They are 10's of years at best. We can home in on the age better if we had better pictures.  It is doubtful these carvings are treasure indicators, but they are signs that people have been in the area.  (So maybe you'll find modern treasures there with a good metal detector.)  If you do find carvings in the future, check the type of tree to give you an indication of their age.  To determine the tree type, take pictures close as was done here, but also include a picture of the entire tree or at least the leaves.   

This is all I can do with the information provided at this time.   I don't know if this is helpful to you or anyone else for that matter.  It was at least fun trying to research it on rainy days.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195894.html#msg195894

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Tree with Initials-Imp.jpg
Tree with Initials-Imp2.jpg
Tree with lasso-imp.jpg
Tree with lasso-imp2.jpg
Tree with lasso-imp5.jpg

Offline overhill
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It certainly educated me. thank you for sharing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195897.html#msg195897

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

TBFC.......THANKS for breathing some unbiased logic into this discussion.  Your post should be copied over to the best of THunting.com

It's the rare tree, indeed, that will carry 100+ year old carvings.   Few species grow to that age, and even where a species does tend to grow to that age, very few members of the species make it to that age in the United States because of past logging practices.  Is it possible for some trees to bear 100+ year old carvings?  Yes, it is possible.   Is it likely?  For most species it not only isn't likely, but it's basically impossible.  For others, it is possible but highly unlikely.   

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195899.html#msg195899

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 03:46:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Weldone TBFC, brilliant research indeed, thank you for clearing up the confussion,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195911.html#msg195911

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great job of researching, you get my vote for putting that post in the best of treasure hunting.com    (heavy sigh) it's looking less likely that a member of a fictitional secret society left those marks on there 150 years ago,  in their quest for US and world domination  Funny Dont research Santa or bugs bunny, I wont be able to take it if they arent real either  Funny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26466.msg195963.html#msg195963

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: