[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 02:22:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
LOL! Grinding off Part numbers and painting PCB's with conferment gick has nothing to do with making the PCB bulletproof.

I've worked on Military PCB's and that's not how it's done.

That's not what I said. It's to keep copies of the electronics from being made by overseas companies. Why do you think they keep their schematics so close to the vest. Same reason.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218307.html#msg218307

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 02:37:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just for that reason.  

I really don't blame them but as a consumer I own that machine after I buy it.

Again back to the Washing machine analogy.

I need the info required to repair it.

Other Manufacturers are just as Zealous on there Schematics.

If I as Jon Q ask for the Schematic and they know who I am, It sure would be cool to get it.

If They Know I bought there Finagled Mouse Trap, I need to know what Staples they used.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218312.html#msg218312

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:52:05 pm by homefire »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, when the consumer base is in the millions, there's no problem. When it's in the hundreds, it is an issue. On other forums, which I have since abandoned, the topic if discussion starts out with, "What a great device!" and them moves on to "Who wants to get together to RE it?" RE is Reverse Engineer. Have a look at this site and get an idea of what I mean. You'll probably love it but the truth is, they steal intellectual property without a conscience.

Please Register or Login

http://www.instructables.com

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218316.html#msg218316

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 07:09:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow!  What a great discussion guys!  I can understand all the sides of the arguments all of you are putting forth.  Thanks for all that.  I'm like poptop, just lurking and learning.

My problem with trying to build my own detector, is I am not a tech guy.  My claim to fame in electronics is, that in the 70's I put together a HeathKit Metal detector!  All the parts and instructions at my fingertips!  Did I understand the theory?  No.  I understod a few of the principles but not the whys and wherefores.  But I did it!

My current solution is to go to e-bay or other sites and look for vintage detectors that have great reputaions and still operate.  The very best detector I have ever used, I bought in 1984.  I've had a couple of computerized detectors and used them quite a bit.  They didn't hold a candle to the analog computers I've had!  I still use the original 1984 detector and still make great finds with it.  I won't say I will never have another computerized detector, but it isn't in my future plans.

I've bought several other used detectors with great reputations, all operating, and plan on having a ball playing with them this summer!  I'll be a happy boy this year!
                                     Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218327.html#msg218327

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:11:58 pm by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Our At one time   Sister Site, Geotech people do the same.

The owner of that site works for a Major Detector Manufacturer.

You Can bet he is using the Collective Ideas being generated by us low life wanna be Technicians.

You know!   The ones that didn't read the book that says Bumble Bee's can't fly.

Not only Reverse Engineer but better the circuits when they can.

The number of people that go through the bother of doing this is in NO WAY a threat to the original manufacturer of the product.

People like the Chines, Clone a good machine and always make them so CHEAP that they fail in just days or weeks and never quite meet the performance of the original in the first place.

That is a mater of the Court systems to work on.

I Jon Q Consumer just wants to be able to work on the Widget I Payed for.

Eugene and I are working on a Tesoro LoBo Clone that is Not the Exact Same Circuit but is improved and the Technology is so old it's considered OLD HAT.

If we Build this for our own use this is not a problem.

If We Supply kits like Silverdog does with other circuits it's not a problem.

We would not be taking a significant Market Share from the Original Producer and in turn Producing a better machine .

Look at it as Evolution!

Did IBM rob Ideas from Apple and Ziglog?

IBM lost on the deal!  They was so open on there stuff so folks could work on them they got strong and ended up in the pits.

To this day I will by anything I can find under there name.

Unfortunately they sold out to a Chinese outfit called Leveington.   Sad Sad Move.

NO, They Used them and Improved them.

Now you have at least 20 Micro Computer producers that put out cheaper , better machines.

Cool Cool Cool Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218339.html#msg218339

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:35:42 pm by homefire »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

First off being an entry level dealer for this company you are not buying from the manufacturer but from a distributor who buy's 500plus detectors at a time from the manufacturer at a small mark up. In return the distributor agrees to sell to retail dealers at a set prices set by the manufacturer and make a good profit by doing so. The problem is the distributor is also a dealer and able to sell to the public at the same price he sales to other dealers its a no win deal for entry level folks. 

Mom and pop retail is dieing in the US in a large part because of the internet. People will window shop TV's Detector's everything then go home and buy off the net because they can save big bucks.

When I was a kid if the toaster broke my mom took it to a repair shop and had it fixed, same for TV's AC's etc now you just trash it and go to Walmart and get one for 10 bucks. Who's to blame that we have became a throw away? China? Walmart? or us the consumers? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218346.html#msg218346

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline williamsingrTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1105.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Authorized White's Dealer, V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 09:45:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I can not say what other distributors do and I can not verify that Whites distributors sell to the public but as a policy set forth by White's as stated in my dealer agreement, White's distributors are NOT allowed to sell to the general public and only to dealers. Is this actually the case, I can only hope so due to prices charged to dealers they are already high enough.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218349.html#msg218349

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From a purely economics standpoint, metal detectors are NOT over-priced.   If they were, people would not be buying them and the price would go down until it reached a level where people were willing to trade their hard-earned cash for the detector.    The only way that metal detectors can be said to be overpriced is if the price is set by the government (either directly or through tariffs) and the seller is not permitted to sell the detector for less than the price fixed by the government.  (Ok...if the manufacturer/distributor sets a minimum price that their downline MUST sell at, it is possible for a detector to be overpriced for a specific market....BUT the manufacturer/distributor pays the price of not adjusting price to match demand by loss of sales --both short term and long term).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg226112.html#msg226112

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: