[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 05:51:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, I downloaded it from Fisher's site some time back...will read the article more thoroughly. Looks like I've been finding banks of iron sand (magnetite). The machine honks but produces no TID probably because being tuned for prospecting, it doesn't register it as a target. I experimented by salting the black stuff with a bit of Au...got a honk-squawk, TID 46  Grin Ths little wonder is really REALLY great in iron!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166626.html#msg166626

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 06:26:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well as i said I dont think any other machine is that good, one thing you have to watch is following black sand can
be misleading some times, because the sand is a mineral and so is the ground so you need to check the ground about
5ft either side of the black sand or drywash's because you could be following rapid changing ground or deep iron deposits
and by checking the area to the left and right of the spot you can work out what the average reading is and if you get a
differant reading where the good spot is then you'll know that you maybe on to something good, another thing to watch for
is when you are ground Balancing and you get a low ground reading you maybe Balancing over deep or small Iron.

Here ya go try this on black sand,

AU

Please Register or Login

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16880

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166632.html#msg166632

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:28:46 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 06:42:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very good info in that link. Thanks! I did ground balance a ways off from the inner bends of the river, and am extremely fussy about balancing any machine I use; it's the basic foundation for proper detection...can't check on one side of the target because the water's still too deep, maybe if I get a dry spell of a month and the levels drop to a more normal 2 feet, I'll re-check the area. Really wish this machine was capable of going under 5 or 6 feet of water. Am looking into making a waterproof box for it; I got 23 areas to scan and all of them involve some splashy fun.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166637.html#msg166637

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 07:28:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

It seems like you have got it all together, I think it is just a matter of putting the coil over the target and i think you are closer
than you think to finding some color, you have the machine, you have the areas so anytime soon we will hear you cheers of joy.
If there is any hills close by try checking for a vain  up the hill and you need to look for any Quartz busting through the surface
and work down the hill, not forgetting to search the areas where the top soil is shallow and you can get close to the bedrock and
as you come down the hill try and picture where things ( gold and small rocks would roll and settle ) because that may lead you to
the spot where the good stuff may build up.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166648.html#msg166648

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I will surely do that as long as I don't encroach on private property. Am kinda leery of landowners nowadays unless I know them personally. I'll never forget the first time I hit a paystreak with the Nokta. I think I briefly mentioned it in a posting some time back. There it was, less than 11/2 feet down, resting on a layer of dense white clay...glowing small flakes and dust collected in a "spreading" flow along with black sand, rusty colored grains and other stuff. The streak's direction was down a flat area at the base of a hill, heading towards a nearby stream.

I brought it to the attention of the land owner who was about 30 feet away. He looked at it, and then said he would not allow any diggings on his land. So much for our gentleman's agreement of a 50-50 split of any values found. Did some talking but he wouldn't budge. I looked to his son (he's a decent chap) and saw the shame and embarrassment on his face at his father's dishonorable act. Naught to do but to gather my gear and tell my gang that we'd been screwed and let us leave peaceably. I'm not one to hold a grudge...it simply isn't in my nature, but it has made me wary of such types of people. I'm sticking to public access areas for now. The Goldbug Pro is bound to hit the good stuff if there's any in place, and I won't have to contend with dishonorable landowners.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166905.html#msg166905

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 06:13:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well thats a sad story if ever i heard one, I have forms that i fill out and the landowner fills out just to protect both parties
and also i have $16,000,000 INS Cover incase of accidents to protect the land owner, live stock ETC.
Now you don't have to worry, I'd sure like to see any tiny pieces you find just to see how small the nuggets the GB will find
but I'd like to see the big ones as well, When you find some color you will have to do a Thread on how you done the search
on the ground and your settings for the Gold Bug, That would make a good read in it's self,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166925.html#msg166925

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 08:14:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wow...insurance against livestock accidents too? Over here the unwritten law of the village is if you hit a cow on the road, the cow's yours. I'm sure some have thought of it as a way to get free beef (after having reinforced their trucks a la Mad Max style). Cheesy

This is gonna sound stupid but after years of lugging around deep-seeking detectors which I consider to be only tools, I find myself actually getting fond of this machine. First time it's ever happened. I do hope you get one soon, AU...you know you're gonna love it!

Of course I will post if and when I find any color. FYI, I've read that the Gold Bug Pro can detect bits as small as 0.15 gram. Till I do find any good stuff here's a photo of one of the samples I took, classified, washed n dried. There's a fridge magnet under the bag holding the iron sands. Note there's some lighter colored bits in it as well...probably nickel or something else magnetic.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166943.html#msg166943

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

S3SF.JPG

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cor, That stuff really is magnetic, I have never seen that before, It dont sound stupid at all, I think when ever you start something
you want to maximimize your chances by using those big machines, but as you know there is more small gold than large nuggets
So now i'm waiting for you to shout and start jumping around then they'll be no stoping you.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg166956.html#msg166956

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 09:28:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Addendum to reply #18: Ground Phase between 75 and 95 indicates Magnetite and other iron minerals. Therefor the reading of 86 which I got for the iron sand is in the ballpark. I had been expecting a low iron grunt with a TID in discrim mode and this caused my puzzlement. Gotta memorize the manual!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167124.html#msg167124

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

If I have trouble remembering bits in the manual, I practice them at home so when i go out in the field i just have to
remember when i have to use them, and the trouble then is i so engrossed in what i'm doing that i forget them anyway
so i make sure i take a break after 3 or 4 hrs just to refocus, and the other problem i have is coils, because i have a few
i'm always woundering if i'm using the right one, I take 2 or 3 with me so if it bothers me too much i can change them.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167186.html#msg167186

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: