[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 06:51:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very true words! I do get overly engrossed at times due to several variables running thru me head, and can only multitask to a certain extent. Breaks are most necessary in order to refocus, and sometimes, the devil's in the details which are momentarily forgotten! Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167192.html#msg167192

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Will you have a chance to do some more testing / searching this weekend, We have had warm weather all this week
I need to go and do some more coil testing and sneak in a little detceting too

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167196.html#msg167196

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 07:23:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Au, I've been using the machine just about every day (including today) ever since I got it. Sometimes I even nip out during lunch hour for a few quick swings! Been getting very familiar with its various nuisances. Love the hi-low in discrim mode, am on 2nd battery now. I think I've learned enough to be reasonably competent in its usage.

Next month, weather permitting, will be a flurry of detection. I have 3 sea-based volcano sites (I posted some photos of 1 of those sites @

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/empty-t17935.0.html
), 2 inland volcanoes, and many freshwater streams/riverine areas which I scouted out during the rainy season. I'm gonna need more sunblock soon!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167198.html#msg167198

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Is'nt volcanic ground a bit wild on the ground balance? It seems that your machine is getting the best field test ever
I don't think even fisher tried in areas like that, but after seeing what it is like with Iron it should handle that OK.
Do you find gold in those ares, either way you've got many weeks work ahead of you, dont forget to take pictures
because people like me don't get to see places like that very often and it's great seeing your progress.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167207.html#msg167207

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 08:50:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes areas like that are very hard to get ground balanced on. And I will post photos for your viewing pleasure  Smiley Getting the Nokta to stabilize on that rock was a pain, and knowing how crucial it is to be perfectly gb'd for the algorithms to produce realistic results, I could not totally trust the readings there. Under more "normal" conditions, eg inland soils, I trust the Nokta totally at 80% sens.

I have had a few dry runs on nearby almost-similar rock with the Gold Bug Pro and it balances fine. In some places, even with gain turned up to near the 4 o'clock position, it's largely stable with the rare bit of brief, tolerable chatter. The boffins at Fisher really did their work excellently, and sometimes I can't help but wonder what genius algorithms they brewed up to be calculated on those dual 5 MIPS processors. At the risk of waxing lyrical I must say that every avid detectorist will "bond" with at least one machine, knowing how to get the best performance from it and forgiving its shortcomings, for every machine has it's limits. I count myself fortunate to have bonded with 2!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167214.html#msg167214

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well you have come along way since you first bought that machine and the only thing that can hold you back is time
and thats not even getting in your way, so all your efforts will pay off in the long run

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg167217.html#msg167217

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 11:50:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

So far the Goldbug Pro's been a stellar performer in saltwater and sea-volcanic rock. She's stable and balances easily.
But today on the slope of an inland mountain I hit the limits of it's capabilities. Encountered the faintest of all signals; the coil was scraping the rock. Would not have heard it if my headphones weren't on or if the target was slightly deeper. Tiny particles of color in the rock...so small I put red circles around them in the photo. Haven't found any pickers yet in that area, but will continue exploring it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg186135.html#msg186135

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Tiny gold.JPG

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 12:24:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well thats a sight for sore eyes, they are tiny specks indeed, I knew it was good but I did'nt think it could
go that small, and there is some specks you did'nt mark and you can only see them when you enlarge the
Picture, It's amazing that it works so well in the areas that you have put that machine, I know you won't
get the depth of a PI but what this machine allows is for you to survey the ares and if you canfind some small
color with the Gold Bug then that is a good reason to go over the ground with something bigger, and I think
that you would need a good quality PI to do the job.

Now all you have to do is work out how to get the gold out of the rocks,
Thanks for the update thats impressive stuff for sure,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg186139.html#msg186139

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 11:54:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You got good eyes, Au. Yes there are specks of colour which I didn't mark. I only circled those specks which I had scraped out (after snapping the photo) and they passed a malleability test along with not being affected by muriatic acid. Was controlling my excitement and chanting to meself: it could be pyrite, could it be pyrite, don't let it be pyrite. And it turned out that they aren't pyrite. PHEW! Grin

Individual tiny flecks of that size cannot be picked up by the machine (did an air test with the stuff I gouged out from the rocks), so I figure that it must have been a grouping of a few bits here and there that set off the machine. Generally speaking, PI machines are less sensitive to small gold than VLF ones, but I believe your suggestion has much merit; a good PI can give me a decent shot at finding deeper and larger pieces in this area. Heck, since there's so many small bits around, there may well be a larger piece here and there too!

Been trying most of this Monday morning to rent a gas-powered water cooled core borer...am unsuccessful so far. I wanna see how far those flecks extend into the rock. I may have to buy one  Undecided  and poof goes the funds I was gathering for another detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg186237.html#msg186237

Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 12:27:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

How far from a road are you or can you drive a pickup in there, Heres an Idea get a 2.2 or 3 Kva generator
and a core cutting Drill, Makita make a Diamond core Drill (machine) and some extention bars for it, get
one of them back pack garden sprayers and while you are drilling spray the cutter till it goes in the rock
once it is in the rock and the cup of the cutter is below the surface of the rock spray the lower shaft and
if you straighten the spray lance you can put it down the hole while you are drilling and once the water is
in the hole that will keep it cool and if the cutter starts to warm up push something down the hole to push
the water out and start again, thats the poor mans version and will do the job, What do ya think?

good luck

AU

Posted on: July 11, 2011, 12:17:23 AM
Oh Yeah, A 2 to 3" cutter will do the job or 50mm, 63mm or 75mm, I'd go for the 63mm  for speed and
and saving cash but that drill will handle 95 to 110mm or 3 3/4" to 4 3/8" ok

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22583.msg186243.html#msg186243

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:35:24 am by Ridge Runner »
Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: