[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Question:
Your treasure hunting with friends & YOU find a cache of cash-Do you share OR not share?
Finders keepers-its mine! - 6 (31.6%)
Split equally with all - 9 (47.4%)
Don't mention finding it - 2 (10.5%)
Take biggest share then split rest - 2 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 05:29:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Graywolfs
If i found somthing that had a lot in it i would geve a token to my friend to remaber the trip, if i only found one thing i would just keep it. But how about on this site, if you help some one with the right info to find a big fine would they came back and send you somthing?

I wouldn't expect it, but it sure would be a nice gesture.....(for that matter, even a PM saying the note paid of for them would be a nice, and unexpected, touch).

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76080.html#msg76080

Offline grillz
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GPX 4500
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 08:58:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BitburgAggie;
          Your assessment is the best scenario. Your right if no pre-existing agreement is in place , it's finders-keepers.
I do see one problem with finders-keepers, if it is a fairly large cache, and someone feels 'left out', they could let the cat out of the bag; and we all know where that'll go.

In the original question the one catagorie missing was, 'It depends on the arrangement'.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76121.html#msg76121

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 01:19:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I will be 60 years YOUNG in a couple of weeks.... and have been mining and prospecting for well over 30 years..maybe closer to 40 years...having some good and bad partners... and have been in similar situations as this...but with gold and not relics and coins...but today..usually go it a lone, with an exception of an occasional rare opportunity...,

Human nature being what it is... it is always difficult to take greed out of the equation... you folks who swing detectors probably haven't seen $10,000 or $20,000 of gold in a gold pan or sluice box...for just 5 or 6 hours work...and gold having the allure it does, will usually bring out the "best" in people...NOT!!!

Soooo I have learned a long time ago.... this very important life lesson..... "... if you help enough people get what they want or need... you will ALWAYS get what you want or need...."

Take this instance these posts are about... On one hand one could say "..finders keepers..."... but then you'll probably loose a detecting partner and friend..which, in my opinion, is far more precious that some old money found....

And some day... it will come back to you as everything we do goes around and comes around...and probably won't be very pleasant when it comes back home...

Now on the other hand.... if you shared equally...making sure the land owner is taken care of as well... you'll seal a stronger friendship with your detecting partner...of which you'll cover more ground in the future as two people than just one person...and the land owner may lead you to other abandoned properties.....

Sharing equally will always give the best result in the long run... don't just look at the instant gratification of the short term thinking..... think about the big picture and what is really important in life anyway...a friend or the money... really good friendships are for life.... money only last as long as it takes to spend it...

Good luck with your detecting and sharing...

Klondke  Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76507.html#msg76507

Offline heathen1
Bronze Member

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

omega 8000 titan 2000
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

good words of wisdom from the "old and wise" lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76512.html#msg76512

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Heathen1,

I may be 60 in years but still feel and work like an I 20.....  As far as wise... I wouldn't say that or I would be a professional gold miner...... Wise.....lol...

Lets just say life has thrown me a few curve balls and have had my share of bumps in the road of life...and I just expressed my opinion as I have experienced...

Good luck to all of you should you find yourself in such a situation.....and hoping you'll do the correct thing...and you will know what that is when you get there....

The fact that there is even a question about this situation shows the people involved know what the correct thing to do is... but their emotions of personal financial gain are strong...

Klondike  ke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76515.html#msg76515

Offline johnlaw
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab se pro & sovriegn xs & Excaliber 1000 & Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 02:28:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Klondike.........Some good thoughts on the current subject...John in Virginia

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76522.html#msg76522

Johnlaw

Offline Larry BTopic starter
"Beeping & Digging is all I crave"
Bronze Member

Darn snow snakes! Where'd they go?
"Beeping & Digging is all I crave"
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1040.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett ACE 250, Radio Shack Discovery, Pioneer, Bounty Hunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 02:45:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Being the creator of this mess LOL

I agree with Klondike BUT, I've also learned that if on a group hunt for cache's, something needs to be established ahead of time AND>>>if nothing is agreed upon then, it's everyone for themselves so to speak.

Wonder why no one has mentioned anything about the old books we loaded that we went there to save initially? LOL

Here's one of em. Anyone from Prescott AZ? here's the yearbook from their H.S. from 1929

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76526.html#msg76526

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

todays finds @ old house 1-31-10 034.jpg
todays finds @ old house 1-31-10 035.jpg

Hello from Estancia..

Historic Estancia Valley New Mexico

"The Punkin Chunkin capital of the world"

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey McIntosh,

Thanks for the comments... however I am, with all due respect, in disagreement with you....

If you all went together to metal detect, find books or whatever...aka hunt for treasures... what should it matter what was said before hand... the principle of helping others will always end up helping yourself rings true no mater the situation.... it doesn't matter how it was set up...unless... it was agreed upon before hand on specific shares of the finds.....and everyone was happy and in agreement with the arrangements..... But if nothing was stated....always assume the more positive approach and you'll see sooooo much more good things in return....

I have experienced this many, many times......and yet when I was young and was rather focused on financial gain for myself... I have on occasion had similar thoughts as to keep what I found to myself.... but in each instance I did that I ended up regretting it.....it cost me SOOOO much...so much financially..so much in partners and so much in friendships..... it took nearly 20 years of professionally mining and prospecting to learn this value life lession...It is the corner stone of my life now...and once it became etched in stone in my life.. .I become more successful...and an amazing thing happened.... happiness and peace came along with it...

Good luck in all you do....

Klondike  Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76537.html#msg76537

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2010, 08:40:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Klondike Ike,
         I agree with you as far as personal behavior goes (including the benefits you reap when you live that way), but I think people who choose that path have to treat it as a PERSONAL choice and NOT expect others  to follow it.   So absent an agreement, I'll share for the reasons you've stated, but I won't expect others to share with me...I'll be immensely grateful if they do, but not particularly disappointed if they don't.    And that last part (not being disappointed) is usually harder than the first (choosing to share).   It has gotten much easier over the years to the point where I'm much more upset if someone else I think should get a share or get credit for something doesn't than I am if I don't.   Not 100% where I want to be yet, but.....

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76588.html#msg76588

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey BitburgAggie_7377,

I understand your point of view.... well taken... There is only one life I can control..that one life is mine... how I chose to live it determines the quality of that life I have.... If others do not want to live by same or similar values, that is their choice... not mine and yes, there can be disappointment in that... However... if we are dealing with real friendship... The kind actions one shows to his friends...will demand unspoken favor in return.... and that friend will be drawn closer as a friend and be willing to equally responsive in sharing .....because of those personal values..... and if not, they do not understand the depth of this principle and most likely are not really a friend..... but instead, a casual acquaintance with other personal ideals at hand....

Going back to the original question... "to share or not to share...."  my thoughts were directed to the only one person who has control over that question and situation... the one who found the valuables in the first place.... I wasn't speaking of the recipient of the finders decision.... but of the one who had found the treasures... the recipient's attitude is a totally different discussion and one that would take much time and I'm sure would develop many differing strong opinions....

And yes..with time and age and constant practice of this basic principle, it becomes much easier to be humble than egoistical...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Klondike  Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11796.msg76596.html#msg76596

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: