[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950Topic starter
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 08:21:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by findoldstuff
Ok the microcontroller- there is source codes online right-  chip programmer is $59.00 and the software to decode- there is Surfer7 which expensive but I have a bookmarked site with several other software titles- with all the intelectuals on here I bet someone knows how to write a program but if not I will dig further into the other softwares and source codes. Ok memory- the new small laptops maybe they could be a source! It is still an interesting subject.
FOS

I am capable of writing a program to do all that but the hardware and program are designed together. It's quite a job to adapt an existing analog device to a datalogger even when you do have the skills. Yes, there is source code on line but it is all written for specific purposes - none of which are for using the signals from a metal detector to save data. That's the truth of the matter.

Were I to actually design this Dream Machine we are discussing, it would be an easy task since I know all I need to know about the signals flowing around in the machine. Despite the apparent simplicity of commercial metal detectors, the manufacturers are not very open about what is actually going on inside of them. That's what makes adding an analog to digital converter and datalogger to an existing machine so hard to do. I am an Electronics Design Engineer by profession - now retired. I may actually take this for some real action in the near future.

Trust me, if there was an easy way, I would gladly point you towards it. Discussing it this way without any real knowledge is pointless. But, don't despair. If the Dream Machine ever gets built, you'll be first on the list to test it. Well, after me, that is.

Keep the ideas coming just try not waste our time arguing about how it should be something you can do when it can't be done easily. You weren't "shot down" as you put it. You were gently throttled back a bit. But hey, you go for it. On your own or in a different topic. Ok?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44694.html#msg44694

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:25:56 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey maybe we could meet up and test it and document the finds so there would not be a headbutting like on the LRL today. I could possibily get questions answered from a relative that works for a company that builds electronic components for avionics.  He said that a jet came in that belonged to one of the Saudi Princes'. The toilet was made like a throne and was gold! This company has 4 engineers. Hey I would settle for #2 in testing- I just feel that something more advanced could be developed than what is out there- If you do what you have always done-you will get what you have always gotten

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44697.html#msg44697

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 08:55:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey maybe we could meet up and test it and document the finds so there would not be a headbutting like on the LRL today. I could possibily get questions answered from a relative that works for a company that builds electronic components for avionics.  He said that a jet came in that belonged to one of the Saudi Princes'. The toilet was made like a throne and was gold! This company has 4 engineers. Hey I would settle for #2 in testing- I just feel that something more advanced could be developed than what is out there- If you do what you have always done-you will get what you have always gotten

I agree. We don't need any outside help though - just ideas. You brought in your being "shot down" in another topic and I was hoping to explain why. Did you understand why I told you it was difficult in that other topic? Did you really feel as if I "shot down" your idea rather than told you it was just too difficult? The idea is very sound. Adapting it to existing equipment is the part that's hard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44699.html#msg44699

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No not shot down just a slang term for not having such a great idea- constructive  throttle back. Throttled back works fine. I don't run wide open all the time. I am sputtering now. Don't worry about me. Im all good. Brainstorming is good.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg44702.html#msg44702

Offline bludger
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Australia

185.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

soveriegn pro, homebrew goldseeker PI
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 05:30:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

A techy professional PI,with better human interfaces were parameters like non ferrous discrims and ground cancelling signals analysed and set with the help of large multitrace scope display.
Ultimately the electronics could be simpler than other MD's that are made fool proof and rely on hit and miss over processing and ear Club tone outputs, dated Thumbs Down.
Built in coffee maker would be good as well Shocked   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg46433.html#msg46433

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 05:38:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Bludger,
I was thinking core cutting rig like the one used to take roadway  samples- taking the digging out of it.
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg46435.html#msg46435

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bludger
A techy professional PI,with better human interfaces were parameters like non ferrous discrims and ground cancelling signals analysed and set with the help of large multitrace scope display.
Ultimately the electronics could be simpler than other MD's that are made fool proof and rely on hit and miss over processing and ear Club tone outputs, dated Thumbs Down.
Built in coffee maker would be good as well Shocked  

Good analysis is a must but not essential to me personally. If it were 100% accurate, it might make me look twice but the masking effect that rubbish in the ground has will always be there. Unless the Dream Machine can look around trash, a pulltab could still hide a gold coin directly below it. Technology has a long way to go for us to "see" past trash to what is below.

I've got a notebook by my elbow which has a growing list of features in it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg46514.html#msg46514

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey GD,
You know how some people are deaf to certian tones? With the bluetooth option there would be room to download another tone or jingle- slot machine ding,ding,ding for gold-just kddin- how did the new gate project go?
FOS

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg46522.html#msg46522

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 02:36:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Good analysis is a must but not essential to me personally. If it were 100% accurate, it might make me look twice but the masking effect that rubbish in the ground has will always be there. Unless the Dream Machine can look around trash, a pulltab could still hide a gold coin directly below it. Technology has a long way to go for us to "see" past trash to what is below.

I've got a notebook by my elbow which has a growing list of features in it.

Hello GD . Maybe thats why Multi-Frequency , Dual frequency or like Minelabs BBS can come into play . I thought every metal has a resonant frequency or its harmonics that creates the strongest field around a target , so on the other hand a metal must have a certain frequency that creates a minimum or no field which can be almost invisible !!! So just the good targets are charged and picked up by the search-coil .....Others are welcome to comment here !!

Regards..........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg46589.html#msg46589

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 03:11:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey GD,
You know how some people are deaf to certian tones? With the bluetooth option there would be room to download another tone or jingle- slot machine ding,ding,ding for gold-just kddin- how did the new gate project go?
FOS

I thought I had answered this one already but it seems to have vanished in the wind. Once again, here goes.

I like the idea of expanding the function of the tone but have a few other ideas which I have already jotted into my notebook. Rather than tone, why not visual? If we use a tri-color LED, like the ones used in those daylight TV screens at sports stadiums, we could send a 3 component breakdown of the tone to create a unique color that corresponds to the tone response.

Take it a few steps further and using a replaceable memory card like an SD card, we could add a language component for spoken words like "Possible gold ring at 4 inches" or "Possible 1 lire coin at 2 millimeters." A card for each language and currency type for each country would be very, very cool. Useless really, like a lot of target ID, but cool.

BlueTooth(tm) is definitely in. I like the concept of a 3 way system that would allow a ringing phone to sync with the system so you could answer it and not miss a call because you had on a headset.
Posted on: August 28, 2009, 11:58:53 AM
Quote:Posted by Eugene52
Hello GD . Maybe thats why Multi-Frequency , Dual frequency or like Minelabs BBS can come into play . I thought every metal has a resonant frequency or its harmonics that creates the strongest field around a target , so on the other hand a metal must have a certain frequency that creates a minimum or no field which can be almost invisible !!! So just the good targets are charged and picked up by the search-coil .....Others are welcome to comment here !!

Regards..........Eugene

Every metal has a resonant frequency but I believe it is only a constant frequency when the metal is in its crystalline form, if it has one. Otherwise it is constant only at the molecular level. The combination of molecules as in a large, random shaped chunk, set up so many crossover points that the frequency is close but not exactly the same as another sample of the metal in another shape. It's like having a billion or so tuned oscillators all working within a tiny, tiny space with all sorts of phase harmonic cancellations and additions.

I worked on a project that never really worked for that reason. It was a grand plan for a gold extractor which would theoretically extract gold from seawater. Molecular gold in seawater is abundant and the equipment could detect it absolutely correctly every time but only at the molecular level. The concept wast to excite the gold molecules to the point where they built up a magnetic field. It worked but the field was too small and unpredictable in nature. How do you capture very heavy molecules that don't have a steady or predictable state of charge? I'm not talking about North South charges here but quantum level charges in the molecules themselves. We need to better understand those resonant frequencies.

Some day, some quantum physicist will solve the puzzle and make gold worthless as a cash commodity. There's more gold in seawater than anywhere else on earth and if it can be extracted from there, the value of gold will drop, drop, drop. But think of all the good it will do in areas of medicine and electronics. Not to mention bling!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6989.msg46598.html#msg46598

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:15:28 am by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: