[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LostChapterBooks
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 06:13:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ahhh now wait. Maybe the problem is not coming up with the right answer to this question, but instead rephrasing the question. 

Assuming all else equal in hunters, what current machine has the best features for optimization of the search.  Assume the following...

1. The two hunters have neither had this particular machine in thier hands before.

2. They intend to do general metal detecting.

3. They are novices (change this to mid range users or experts depending on your evaluation) and will get bored quickly if they dig more trash then keepable items.

4.They desire the machine to do most of the identifying work for them "before they dig".

5. They want comfort in the handling and ease of understanding in the instructions.

Add your own ideas to what you think the question should entail and then answer. What is the best detector on the market today.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg130008.html#msg130008

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 06:30:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

There still is no single detector that can qualify as "the best" under even perfectly matched users. There are just too many factors involved and too many choices out there. Ask the same question 30 years ago, and you could count on a heated argument ensuing. Today, everyone shrugs and their brains wobble just thinking about it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg130009.html#msg130009

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline LostChapterBooks
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 07:00:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

True. I accept that there is no "best" detector out there, but thier are "qualifiers" for what you expect in a detector. or even what you think a new, mid-range, or expert user should have available to them.

Lets line up a top of the line Garrett and a Whites. What are the differences and how would these differences affect the outcome of the search? Or are these machines exactly the same and therefore the point of "best" is mute?

I have this problem now, as I am considering buying a new machine before my move to Australia. I do not relish the idea of spending $2000.00 and then finding that the machine was rated by you guys as poor in sandy conditions.

How about thier $500.00 machines? Are there any differences in them? and here I mean mechanical differences that affect how I swing the machine, or how it identifies targets. I got a nice quattro pro a couple of years ago, only to find it has minimal pinpointing capabilities.

I like my Ace 350 isn't really a good answer. What made you choose it over other machines and did it hold up to what you expected of it?

Do you see my point? When someone id asking "What is the best machine" maybe we should point to what we like and don't like about our machines and let the questioneer make his/her decision based on this.  It at least is what I do when I do my research for the next great machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg130014.html#msg130014

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The best machine for me is my Garrett Groundhog. The best for you is going to be up to so many factors that it is impossible for anyone to give you advice that will stand up to your expectations. Thus, there is no "best" detector out there. You're right about conditions being a factor but so is the expected targets. Looking for gold nuggets? OK. How deep? What size? What soil? The locals here consider Minelab to be the best. I don't know if that is a good choice even here. I've used them and even own one but it's not the "best" by a long shot.

I think the stiff Aussie support for Minelab is just their unwavering support for an Aussie made product. There are far better products out there for far less money. Minelab managed to get a heavy import duty placed on imported metal detectors and now charge upwards of $5,000 for their basic models. I find that absolutely sinful to take advantage of people who are blindly giving brand loyalty to a local name.

Here is what the original post to this topic asked: " I want to get another Detector but I want a very good one. What do you think the best is or would be."

That is hardly enough information to give even a halfway qualified answer. You have to know what he wants to use it for. Coins? Gold nuggets? Nails in wood? Then you have to know where he is hunting. Water? Beach? Sand? Parks? Then you need to know his or her physical limitations. Is this model too heavy? Is the sound loud enough? Is the face easy to read? Some people even choose based on color, believe it or not. Within the last couple of weeks, someone here said they wouldn't buy an Ace model because they don't like a yellow machine. They prefer the Garrett green. Other issues like coil size, depth of expected targets, coil type and shaft type are things that are used to decide. And let's not forget price.

So, from his simple question all these factors need to be known. Even if you gave a perfect laundry list to the members here, anyone who has been in this game for 40 years or so will come up with at least 10 "best" models. Is there any question that I know the precise answers to all those questions regarding my choice of a detector? I do know exactly what I want to do with one yet look at how many are in my arsenal. In spite of that array, I am going to get a Fisher F75 very soon.

There was a very long thread here discussing just the characteristics of the ideal machine.

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/metal_detectors/the_ideal_the_perfect_the_one-t6989.0.html

If every one of the ideas for the "best" ever detector were implemented, it would make it as heavy as a Volkswagen and require a nuclear power plant rather than batteries. Go and read it to see what I'm talking about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg130070.html#msg130070

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 02:37:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by LostChapterBooks
2. They intend to do general metal detecting.

What is general MDing?  In water I prefer a Garrett Sea Hunter on wet sand a sand shark on dry sand a Bounty Hunter QD. There is no general MD

Quote:Posted by LostChapterBooks
4.They desire the machine to do most of the identifying work for them "before they dig".

If you are using the meter you are wasting time and losing some good finds Dig every signal and your recovers will go up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg130081.html#msg130081

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline CRAIGBAILEY
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

etrac, xterra 70, whites prizm v
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i like the etrac very much had for about 6 months.  got in a tight and had to sell. 

next minelab sov gt will be my detector.  I think it will do good also.  Craig

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg133251.html#msg133251

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 06:48:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger hit the nail on the head. The link is a good read. Seldom also is good advice, dig everything. I like the fact people put thier best machine on here. I dont think a new person can go wrong with thier first machine, pay what you can a play with it. Your second machine should have your type of treasure hunting in mind. Depth is good, better discrimination, and what options like coils, pinpointer, batteys, would be what Im looking at. I like the Tesero Lobo Supertrac for my next machine. It will replace my two toys. It has a learning curve, but no confusing displays. Maybe later a garret2500 or above, but I like it simple. Again the more you pay, and the more display you get will give you a better idea of what your digging. But if you listen to the two old hands before me. Buy what you can afford, dig everything.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg133257.html#msg133257

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline chopz54
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

210.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoros,Lasers,Redheat,Minelab,C-Scope.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 09:40:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

There is no such thing as "The Best Detector". There is no answer.

You will just have draw your own conclusion as to which machine to buy..For example if you intend to search ALL day a light machine is just one factor.
Try before you buy.

I'm not going to list any of my machines--there would be no point.

Good Luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg133310.html#msg133310

Offline RonMue
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's V3i
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 10:35:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

This my first post, I have the White's V3i it is a choose you should think about , I'm thinking about getting the E-trac to compare them. White's have great customer service so if your learning they will really help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg135091.html#msg135091

Offline hendro
Copper Member

It's a BLAST!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

275.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I find this discussion interesting. I'm on the verge of buying a White's Spectra V3i without the wireless headphone.  I live in the western US, where there are lots of wide open spaces, so I'm not sure what the wireless headphones really buy me and they make the V3i $300 more expensive.  Moutains surround me.  There are ghost town and possible gold as well as relic hunting.  I have up to $1750 to spend on my MD.  I can get the 3Vi w/o the headphones for $1400.  If I buy from Kellyco. They offer a deal or at least the second detector for a huge discount.  I was thinking of getting my wife a simple one.  If she finds something I can run the V3i over it to see what it tells me.  Remember I have $350 to play with after buying the V3i so I can get a second better detector for my wife or I can buy a second coil or whatever.

Here are some of my options if I buy from Kellyco.  I can choose one of the free items or if I want one of the other items I just pay the shown price.  I'm just not really sure what is junk wand what isn't or would I be better off just buying a second, better MD:
Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer Detector Retail Price $69.00  FREE!
Automax V4 Pinpointer Detector FREE!
Bounty Hunter VLF FREE!
Bounty Hunter Gold Digger FREE!
1st Texas Pilot $40.00
MP3 Pro Multi Power $45.00
MP5 Pro Multi Power $50.00
MPX Multi Power $65.00
Titan 2000 with 8" Coil $75.00
Pioneer 505 with 8" Coil $85.00
Titan 2000 Pro - 8" and 4" coils (2 coils) $95.00
Pioneer 505 Pro - 8" and 4" coils (2 coils) $100.00
Viper Trident $164.00
Cobra Land Beach & Water $169.00

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19738.msg135095.html#msg135095

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: