[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dangermanghostTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany
Referrals: 0

685.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for insight Christian,much appreciated.
I have posted on the German site you suggested,but things get lost in translation  Grin
All the best.
Andrew.
I found this article....
Many people that have an interest in gold jewelry and coins often will claim that tarnished gold doesn't exist, however, that's the furthest thing from the truth. Pure gold will not tarnish, but it is rare to find jewelry that contains this pure element. When pure gold is added to alloyed gold, such as 18 carat or higher, this will also lessen the risk of tarnishing, with the exception of a few conditions. Tarnishing is generally only seen in smaller carats, depending on the base metals and the elements that each one is exposed to. For example, if a 10 carat gold piece has a decent amount of copper in it, it can oxidize, creating a red or black tarnish. Silver also exposed to the elements when combined with gold produces black tarnish.
Sometimes the way a piece of jewelry or something made of gold is manufactured can have an effect on its susceptibility to tarnishing. Items that are cast by lost wax casting and other methods that leave a micro-porous surface can actually cause the jewelry to trap various acids, compounds, and other elements which will cause a form of local tarnishing wherever the foreign impurities gets trapped.
When it comes to coin collecting, many consider a bit of tarnishing, or toning as it is called in collecting circles, to be highly desirable. Gold coins rarely tarnish because of their purity, but some exceptional toned coins exist and this toning makes them all the more valuable. You may want to clean your jewelry to have it restored to its original shine, but all coin collectors know to never, ever clean the tarnish off their coins. In fact it is a general rule to not clean your coins in any way. Collectors desire the antique look of an old coin and want that look preserved. Cleaning highly collectible gold coins can ruin their value.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61677.html#msg61677

A.C.E...stands for...Artifacts Can`t Escape.

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 05:08:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Andrew

I did not think that in the 1500 early 1600 they would have had 14ct gold but rather pure gold but then I?m not an expert at all on the subject it just seams strange to me thought that it would be 14ct how did they know that they were making a 14ct mix what would they have measured it with? Very nice find thought happy HH

Regards
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61678.html#msg61678

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 08:38:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dangermanghost
Thanks for insight Christian,much appreciated.
I have posted on the German site you suggested,but things get lost in translation  Grin
All the best.
Andrew.
I found this article....
Many people that have an interest in gold jewelry and coins often will claim that tarnished gold doesn't exist, however, that's the furthest thing from the truth. Pure gold will not tarnish, but it is rare to find jewelry that contains this pure element. When pure gold is added to alloyed gold, such as 18 carat or higher, this will also lessen the risk of tarnishing, with the exception of a few conditions. Tarnishing is generally only seen in smaller carats, depending on the base metals and the elements that each one is exposed to. For example, if a 10 carat gold piece has a decent amount of copper in it, it can oxidize, creating a red or black tarnish. Silver also exposed to the elements when combined with gold produces black tarnish.
Sometimes the way a piece of jewelry or something made of gold is manufactured can have an effect on its susceptibility to tarnishing. Items that are cast by lost wax casting and other methods that leave a micro-porous surface can actually cause the jewelry to trap various acids, compounds, and other elements which will cause a form of local tarnishing wherever the foreign impurities gets trapped.
When it comes to coin collecting, many consider a bit of tarnishing, or toning as it is called in collecting circles, to be highly desirable. Gold coins rarely tarnish because of their purity, but some exceptional toned coins exist and this toning makes them all the more valuable. You may want to clean your jewelry to have it restored to its original shine, but all coin collectors know to never, ever clean the tarnish off their coins. In fact it is a general rule to not clean your coins in any way. Collectors desire the antique look of an old coin and want that look preserved. Cleaning highly collectible gold coins can ruin their value.

All utter nonsense. You want to believe it is gold. It is not. Sorry.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61702.html#msg61702

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Please Register or Login

http://www.coingallery.de/KarlV/Dortmund_E.htm
    Here is your coin ,,,I would say copper if anything

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61710.html#msg61710

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 02:19:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

First of all we are not looking at a coin but a medal shaped after a coin (size, missing back etc.) ...

As far as Gold coins are concerned there are only PURE gold coins and nothing like 14k etc.

I suggest you put it into lemon juice for a while and see what happens. I expect it to be either silverwashed coppr, silver or copper but not gold for sure. You can also easiyl if it is coing by comparing its weight to its size. Gold would be very heav.y How much doe sit weight.

However for sure NO gold. Sorry.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61738.html#msg61738

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

685.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 01:19:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your help Outback.

regards.
Andrew.
Hi Golddigger,

Firstly,there are so many different conflicting statements about gold tarnishing,that it`s hard to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak,and secondly,..It`s been in the ground for a long,long time,I agree with the other comments that pure gold does NOT tarnish over time,so that said,I would think that a gold testing pen would tell me their is no gold within the metal...the pen says otherwise.Even if it`s not got any gold in the alloy,it`s still a cool find for me as I`ve only been scanning for a couple of months.

Best Wishes.
Andrew.

Hi Christian.
I have done what you have suggested with the lemon,what exactly i`m I looking for with this test.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61872.html#msg61872

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 01:32:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Andrew,

if it is brass or silver you can remove the tarnish with the lemon juice. However only leave it in there for a couple of minutes and then rub it with your fingers. If it is copper alloy you shouldn't use the lemon juice but leave it as is. With silver or brass use the lemon juice, then neutralize it using fluid soap etc. and put on same clear wax or oil afterwards.

regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61873.html#msg61873

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

685.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 06:34:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Christian.

I`ve done that,and the tarnish has gone,I did leave it a little longer than said,but it looks good.
Many Thanks...pics to follow.
Ok,here`s what it looks like so far.
I`m sorry to piss some of you guys off but the tester shows 14kt gold Great,if you look just above the coin you will see a small coloured line from the test pen..40% gold !!
At today's scrap gold prices 62g equates to 876 Euros,not bad for my second good find.

Thanks Christian for the tips. Clapp

Happy Hunting !! Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61900.html#msg61900

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

PIC_0016.jpg
PIC_0019.jpg
PIC_0020.jpg

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 06:46:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Andrew, again I do not want to put you down but as everybody else has told you this is NOT gold. If you do not believe, just take it to any shop buying gold in Germany - there are plenty. They will not give you a dime for it as this is NOT gold. If it was just 14k Gold there would be NO tarnishing.

Also this is NOT a coin.

Of course you can dismis all of our oppinions but if you don't like them then you shouldn't ask. The guy by the name of Walker who told you about it on detektorforum.de is a foremost authority on European coins and you can take his word for granted.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61904.html#msg61904

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 07:00:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dangermanghost
Thanks for your help Outback.

regards.
Andrew.
Hi Golddigger,

Firstly,there are so many different conflicting statements about gold tarnishing,that it`s hard to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak,and secondly,..It`s been in the ground for a long,long time,I agree with the other comments that pure gold does NOT tarnish over time,so that said,I would think that a gold testing pen would tell me their is no gold within the metal...the pen says otherwise.Even if it`s not got any gold in the alloy,it`s still a cool find for me as I`ve only been scanning for a couple of months.

Best Wishes.
Andrew.

Hi Christian.
I have done what you have suggested with the lemon,what exactly i`m I looking for with this test.

It's not gold. Even alloyed gold doesn't tarnish. There is a long discussion here already about alloys and gold and metallurgy. You should look it up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9795.msg61914.html#msg61914

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: