[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline duchess
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:30:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Woody,
I'm an archaeologist and live in Jacksonville Alabama. Here is a story that might interest you. Shoal Creek bluffs are very near you. I'm not sure where this cave is, but my research indicates it's located in a horseshoe of the creek. Let me know if you try to locate it and what you find.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.oldhuntsville.com/articles/Chief%20Doublehead,%20the%20Cherokee%20Cannibal.php

Duchess

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26965.msg191851.html#msg191851

wooody25Topic starter

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Duchess, Thank you for sharing this awesome story with me. I live in Gadsden so I'm just down the road. I cant believe I've never herd this story before. I definitely want to look further into it.  Rider I will let u know if i learn anything else on it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26965.msg192229.html#msg192229

Offline duchess
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Woody,
Chief Doublehead was quite a charactor. I've found many references to him over the years. One day I hope to locate the cave, not for the treasure, but for the historic value.
Please do share with me what you discover. Doubleheads are better than one..... lol
Duchess

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26965.msg192439.html#msg192439

wooody25Topic starter

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

last night my wife and I decided to go try to find the carving I remembered from high school. It is located at Cherokee Rock Village in Sandrock AL. My goal: find the carving, sketch it on paper, photograph it, try to decipher what we could of it, and use my metal detector around the site to look for any evidence of past visits. We pulled up to the parking lot of the park around 10 pm. It was pitch black out, the air; hot and humid. We were the only people there. there was an eerie silence to the place. we grabbed our gear from the car and hit the trail. Keep in mind i haven't been to the site of the carving in years so finding it might be l little tricky for me. We Walked in circles for about 45min. crawling over boulders, squeezing through cracks, and following trails. I decided to go back to the car and rest and regroup my thoughts of where the location is. while at the car i dropped my gear ( metal detector and backpack ) and decided to go light. I would give it one last try. we carried just our lights and phones. After a little more climbing, crawling, and backtracking, we finally found it. By this time it was probably close to 12 midnight. There it was carved into the sandstone wall just as i had remembered. now time to decipher. The carving almost looks like a headstone at first glance. It is outlined with a square bottom and domed top just like a headstone. At the top is a cross with what looks like a name under it. The cross struck me as odd because it was carved with a vertical board witch is normal but the horizontal board is very slanted. this was done on purpose and i don't know why. The name under the cross spells MD DANIEL. under that name looks to be the initials of several other men on the left side. In the middle is a 93 and to the right looks to be the words  By MEL. Under the headstone like carving is the date OCT. 21 1893. under the date are several more names and initials. We could make out the name  H. Mackey, and a name with Back in it. there were three more letters behind the word back??? but we couldn't make them out. I didn't get to sketch the carving or use my metal detector as i had left them at the car earlier. However i did manage to take some pics with my phone. This was defiantly one interesting night. Now i have to see if i can research the names and the date on the carving to see who these men were and why they were there. I plan on going back soon to sketch and use my metal detector now that i remember where the carving is located. That will be another day I get to go explore.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26965.msg192456.html#msg192456

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

094.jpg
099.jpg
106.jpg
108.jpg
116.jpg

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very interesting woody.  Let us know what you find out about the names, and what you find with your detector.   Detecting Sounds like a fun adventure!  Good Luck!  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26965.msg192467.html#msg192467

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Marked as best answer by May 15, 2024, 05:14:34 am
Offline duchess
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:53 pm »
Go Up Go DownUndo Best Answer

Hi Woody,
     I've been to Cherokee Rock Village many times, even camped among the rocks. I've never seen the inscription you found, but the crooked cross is a satanic symbol and represents satin worship and witches. I know of one other satanic site in Cleburne County near the Talladega National Forest where ceremonies were held.
It wouldn't surprise me if the rocks were a setting for Satanic worship at one time or another.  The names on the rock could be the names of the satanic priests. It could also represent the night riders of the time(Ku Klux Klan). The crooked cross is also associated with the swastika adopted by Hitler and the third reich.  The history of the cross goes back to the early Christian movement and those that opposed Christianity in the third century (and posibly earlier) of the modern era.
I would really like to see your sketches, especially if you find any other symbols.

Duchess

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26965.msg194021.html#msg194021

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.