[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BobomonTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:47:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, newbie Steve from East TN.  I love the site and am trying to get used to posting.   I don't really know where to put this bit of info but hope ite helps someone.
If you are estate or tag sale shoppers don't overlook the boxes of books, old magazines and such.  I've found old hymnals and some religious booklets that have sold well on Ebay.  Also some older technical/mechanical magazines and books.  And old art, camera/photo stuff from early 1900's.  Also Playbill or theater ephemera  for some of the more famous plays or playwrites.
So what may look like a box full of junk may hold some real neat stuff.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg63114.html#msg63114

And there's so much beauty around us for just two eyes to see
But everywhere I go I'm looking...(lyrics from Here In America by Rich Mullins)

Offline Gertrude
Home grown California girl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None yet :-( still researching and saving $$
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:42:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some people hide money and and valuable papers in books.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg174905.html#msg174905

Gertrude McFuzz

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gertrude, I hadn't thought of it before but estate sales might be a good place to look for old maps and photographs of the area that are valuable for research in mD. gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg174925.html#msg174925

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:33:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the tip Bobomon!  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg174943.html#msg174943

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Estate sales are great for all kinds of interesting finds - esp stuff back from occupied Japan and before etc, and all kinds of war goodies and old collectable Dolls and cast iron toys etc, and yes even old photographs and Maps.

Go to Kovels.com and purchase their price guide books on antiques and toys etc. either that or go to the web site on your android phones, to look up items to see their value instantly. I actually do both. and have come across some really neat stuff.

and there has even been a few times I have told them there items were way underpriced and showed them what it was worth.
esp if it's a living estate sale and there trying to get as much funds as possible to go live in a assisted living place etc.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg174998.html#msg174998

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:06:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

and your exactly right.

I love going & sometimes working at the estate sales and auctions on a regular basis. Kovels is a prime current resource of top items of antiquity of vintage yester year right onward up into the 70's, and gives one the goods on ID and selling prices, which in the end equate to value.  Great

Quote:Posted by Karl
Estate sales are great for all kinds of interesting finds - esp stuff back from occupied Japan and before etc, and all kinds of war goodies and old collectable Dolls and cast iron toys etc, and yes even old photographs and Maps.

Go to Kovels.com and purchase their price guide books on antiques and toys etc. either that or go to the web site on your android phones, to look up items to see their value instantly. I actually do both. and have come across some really neat stuff.

and there has even been a few times I have told them there items were way underpriced and showed them what it was worth.
esp if it's a living estate sale and there trying to get as much funds as possible to go live in a assisted living place etc.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Thanks Bobomon,
your a keen eye for what is rare and overlooked.
These things also can help the Metal Detectorist make better finds as well.

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg175026.html#msg175026

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline Gertrude
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I never thought of looking for things for research like old maps and photos, that's a great idea, thanks! Does that mean I can "legally" go to garage and estate sales without being fussed at by my family? My kids would have a hissy fit if I slowed down to look at a garage sale.

I STILL don't have a metal detector... sigh...Real life keeps making demands on the pocketbook, no fun.   Violent  But I do have have fun looking at detectors on ebay and craigslist. And I hunt vicariously through all the detectorists here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg176178.html#msg176178

Gertrude McFuzz

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:40:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gertrude
I STILL don't have a metal detector... sigh...Real life keeps making demands on the pocketbook, no fun

Tell the kids you're trying to finance your new metal detector.   Take a look over on our contest page and see how some of our members have been turning "gems" they picked up at yard sales and thrift stores into some pretty decent cash (and who knows, you might be the first one to see the Garrett Ace 250 or the Tesoro in the corner and recognize it fro what is and what's worth).   Do that at the right sale, and you can walk back to your car with a $300-$400 detector for $40.
     Another thing you can do is see if you can figure out where the dumps in your area used to be.   Find those and you'll be able to turn up some neat treasures with just a shovel, a rake, and a screen (see  The Urban Treasure Hunter for plans for a portable screen).   A few nice pieces from the dump and you can purchase a detector.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg176185.html#msg176185

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:03:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good stuff BA like we have said before treasure hunting takes on many forms. More then one guy has bought his detector from selling old bottles found in dumps and home sites. You can still see folks on the beach with rakes finding coins rings and other valuables. You can be what in my area we call pickers, they buy from garage sales thrift shops etc and resale to antique shop some of them make a good living at it.
All of them are treasure hunters in away.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg176194.html#msg176194

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Gertrude
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Idea Ooooooo! I LIVE on an old dump. It was the town dump, a pit type and always on fire. When the development I live in was built they filled it in with the extra dirt. However, when we first moved here we could see steel cables and metal parts on the surface. There are railroad rails in my yard, and my area is surrounded by old gold mines.... I think the rails came from the old mines, I don't know why they'd be here otherwise. My neighbors down the street have a neat display in their yard of an old ore car on rails with other goldmine equipment that they found nearby. 

Thanks for the idea and the site. When I've had to dig up my yard I've found trash/junk but I didn't realize there might be stuff people would want.   Shocked

My friend rents a house on an old cabin/ranch/homestead that has an old dump on the property, lots of bottles and stuff, so that's probably a better possibility since it hasn't been covered with tons of dirt. It's been my dream to metal detect there since most old homes around here just get torn down and the old sites get covered up with businesses and pavement.

Would it be immoral to hunt with her permission since she's a renter not the owner?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10046.msg176204.html#msg176204

Gertrude McFuzz

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: