[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:16:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well if'n you nest the screens then shovel in the dirt, shake things a bit and then start check'n each screen.  If you a biggun it'll be in the 1/4", if it's smaller it'll be in the 1/8" and so on.  The teensie weensie stuff will be in the bottom of the bucket wait'n to be panned out.  See I got this all figgered out I think.

Gramps Wise

Posted on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:46 PM
By the whootsie last Sunday I took a reconnoitering drive up one of the forks of one of our rivers and found a nice little natural rock dam across the stream but I couldn't get to it to sample.  I'm going have to take a ladder with me when I go back up so I can get down to water, about a six or seven foot drop.

I'm not sure if they are doing any active logging up there at present but there is evidence of rather recent work, I don't relish meeting a honk'n big Peterbuilt with my little S10 on one of those roads.

Gramps

PS I'll post pics and what if anything I find.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191399.html#msg191399

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 11:55:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Im a big fan of bucket classifiers. Sure ya gotta buy em but they fit in a 5 gallon buckets and are plastic so water doesn't affect them. Makes quick work of dry or wet.

I also have some like yours Gramps made with hardware cloth to get rid of the heavy stuff. I picked up a concrete mixing tub at Home Despot that works good as a catchbasin. Very durable, light and not to spendy.

Biggest problem is I haven't gone out but one quick trip this year  Cry been way to busy and late spring messed me up. This was gonna be a good year too I thought with all the extra runoff not to mention the price hike.

Greasemonkey I have one of those small plastic sluices and many times it outperforms my 4'x8" Keene aluminum. Plus it's just right to stick in a backpack. Just keep the feed even and don't go overfast and it will do you good for a starting rig. When you look at the river or stream try to think how the heavy runoff came through. Look for catchpockets and gravel bars where the gold would settle just like it does in sluice riffles.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191537.html#msg191537

Offline greasemunkeyTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks! Good to know my sluice does actually work (when in the right hands). I hope to go back this weekend and try to outsmart the river some more. I wouldn't start posting any wagers quite yet as to who will win though...
I was actually told where the sweet spot is at this location, but I had my wife with me + didn't want to leave her on her own for too long so I stuck around in the shallows instead. Next time I'm going deep with a dustpan + brush.
I had a pretty good idea for a gravel sucker today too. If I get time I'll build one on Saturday and test it out Sunday. If it actually works I'll be sure to post plans on here. Kinda depends on if Home Depot has the right bits and bobs that fit together in the right places, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Paul

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191580.html#msg191580

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck Paul, think I'm gonna head up the mountain tomorrow myself. Hopefully we both come home with something shiney!  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191628.html#msg191628

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Check out this vid.

This guy is over Classifying his dirt wasting time he could be digging.

The Sluice is running WAY to fast for the Small stuff to settle in.

Tisk, Tisk...   I bet he blew as much gold out the back door as he finds.

If you can't see the Hump in the water your riffles are causing, Your running too fast.

You should be able to see the stuff behind the Riffles doing the Boiling action.

If your after the Small stuff cut back the water flow.

Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-YBvRjHOL0#noexternalembed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191645.html#msg191645

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:23:30 am by homefire »
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yikes that's a whole lotta water all right. Probably lose anything smaller than a half inch, just keep rolling  Shocked

I agree dig all you can while on site, classify at home. I have a piece of expanded metal that fits over my sluice to get the big stuff out of the way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191664.html#msg191664

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 07:23:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

avision, You be careful. all the coin in the world is not worth getting killed for. These are bad times in the big city and there are some bad people out there. gambol Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191679.html#msg191679

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 12:02:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So I got up yesterday morning and decided to venture up to the hills. Found my pack and gathered some gear. Lucky I had some spare because my son has all the good stuff and he took off to Utah for the weekend... I took 2 gold pans, 2 buckets, 3 shovels of various sizes, 2 classifiers, 2 rock hammers, a military backpack, a loupe, a scale, bandanas, 2 power bars and 2 bottles of water.

Was a good day, played in the water and worked a couple crevices that have shown color before. Don't think I found anything too amazing but I still have a few buckets to run. I've done really well at this spot in years past but last year and today were disappointing really. Still a day in the woods beats a day anywhere else.  Great

I picked up a stream machine squirt gun at a yard sale for a buck. It looks like a big syringe. That thing is an awsome water crevice tool. I drilled out the squirt hole to accept some clear plastic hose and it worked great. The end cap also screws off so it's easy to clean. It's not comparable to a motorized tool but it's light and portable.

Hit one of my favorite corrugated culverts on the way out since the campers there had packed and gone. Also found a wolf jaw about a month old. My son said he saw tracks last time he was up there and I didn't believe him but I guess he was right after all.  Embarrassed

If anything shows up in the seperater I'll post a pic  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191854.html#msg191854

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

red1.JPG
red2.JPG

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 10:30:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gramps: about the ladder and that 6 or 7 foot drop...you may wanna secure the ladder with a rope tied to a tree or your truck before climbing down...it'll lessen the chance of you falling should the ground you set the ladder down on becomes unstable.

As for classifying at home, it's the safer thing to do. And I've been doing that. When times are hard and people are hurting, the desperate and evil exist everywhere, not just in big cities.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg191983.html#msg191983

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the suggestion Idaho I'll keep that on tip of my mind.  I didn't get out this weekend as planned, the bursitus in my right shoulder started acting up and that's my pumping arm for the sucker.  I just got off the phone with VA to send a message to my primary care Doc to see if he wants to see me or refer me another clinic, we'll see.  I did how ever see an area on the Wilson Rvr. that looks like a huge slab of rock (the river is way down) that looks like a primo sniping spot, have to get up there this week.

Roger that on the classifing and panning at home, a lot safer and comfortable.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27033.msg192017.html#msg192017

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:08:38 pm by Gramps43 »

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: