[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 12:46:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by tabdog
Here,

read this.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.jewelrygenius.com/tarnish.html

I guess you are over their heads too???

Why can you not let it go?

Lucky did not ask for this.

If he did, I am wrong.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

This may startle you but if you read the entire site, you will find that it agrees with me 100%. It's not ME, by the way, but metallurgy you are arguing with. And, by arguing, it is YOU who is hijacking this thread.

In order to oxidize, the alloyed metals MUST leach from the gold. When they are in a bond with gold, they do NOT tarnish or oxidize.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg53900.html#msg53900

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline luckypTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

590.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Excalibur,xlt spectrum,PI2000,
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 06:05:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you Tabdog for posting that link which resume exactly what I am saying.Pure gold does not corrode  but the alloy part does.I have no ressentement.Expressing an opinion in a forum even if you are wrong that what a forum is all about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg53924.html#msg53924

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 06:36:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by luckyp
Thank you Tabdog for posting that link which resume exactly what I am saying.Pure gold does not corrode  but the alloy part does.I have no ressentement.Expressing an opinion in a forum even if you are wrong that what a forum is all about.

Metals used with gold to form alloys have valence level bonding that does not allow corrosion or oxidation. Period. Why do you think they select the metals they do? Copper, silver, brass and not zinc, lead or tin? There's a reason for that Luckyp, and you are simply not understanding it.

Look, mate, don't take it personal. When I asked if you were sure it wasn't plated because I and others noted the scratches, you explained it. What that did was change the answer completely. That's all that should have happened. Instead, we see a few guys who think they know more than metallurgists know finding a web page that actually proves what I said but somehow convincing themselves that it doesn't. The metals in alloy with gold MUST leach out before they can react. They do NOT react or tarnish while they are in alloy with gold. The metals used to alloy with gold are chosen for that very reason as alloy metals. It's a subatomic bonding and there is no room for oxygen in that bonding. None at all.

Do you know another metal that will bond with gold at room temperature? Mercury. Miners know this. To them it's a tool. How do you remove that bonded mercury? It's not easy and failing to do it right can kill you. The mercury is, however, bonded just like an alloy metal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg53927.html#msg53927

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2009, 07:39:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gp you crack me up with mercury hehe those that remember Errol Flynn might also know the Kiwi con man went to New Guinea looking for gold and he relied on locals to help him find it.
He paid them by the month, crafty bugga because he needed the time and after a month he did pay his workers too.
He used a pot of mercury into which he dipped 1/2 penny pieces turning the copper coins into nice shiney silver looking shillings.
Having paid his workers off he made a hasty exit before he was found out and the natives took thier revenge on him.
Yes Mercury is a miners tool used to amalgamate gold with mercury and it will be found on any crusher of stamping machine.
The mercury comes off in the smelting process and the fumes from it are very dangerous.  Many rivers in Australia contain certain levals of mercury especially in gold mining areas.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg53934.html#msg53934

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

590.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes you and fews others gave me an answer that made me in doubt that it was gold plated.So back to step one.
New polishing at 15.000rpm for 2 minutes
Buffering at  35.0000rpm for 3 minutes.
Test electronic mizar good for 14k.
Test acid with stone good for 14k.
You will see by the new picture that there is no scratch and the color is what white gold should be.
Also clearly mark inside ARTCARVED 14K.Looking on google this manufacturer has been in business since 1850.
In that case having established clearly that it is 14k how do you explain the color of the first picture if there is no tarnish?
By the way I want to thank you Alan for the great article on beachcombing that I read a long time ago.I learned a lot particularly on movements of the waves.I use your advises by going on a surfer site called magicseaweed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg53939.html#msg53939

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1010462.jpg

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Alan Hassell
having had a good look at the pictures i have to agree with GD because if you look closely you will see the flakes of gold plating that are left the rest is base metal which in this case could be brass as is often the case with cheap junk jewellry, especially stuff of a religious nature.  The old monks were the biggest crooks and con artists that women created to put a curse on the unsuspecting individual and deprive that person of his wealth.

That women created?  Are you seriously disturbed?  Or just have major issues with mummy?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg53940.html#msg53940

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 02:01:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok!

Ive pulled gold rings from the salt of the ocean 14k that came out a bit dark.

It would rub off with a soft cloth.

Ive pulled gold nuggets that are dark and had deposits of other elements on them.

Had to acid wash them to clean them up.   They came out 85% Gold, 10% Silver, 3% Copper and balance other.

I found a 14K ring on a football field that came out stained black I think because of all the lime used on the field.

It washed off with soap and water and a soft cloth.

May be your ring was allowed with something other then Industry standards.  Say May be lead or Tin?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54004.html#msg54004

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:05:14 pm by homefire »
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

590.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 02:14:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thinking of it I found it in an area called the Long-Island sound which is not the ocean.Sometimes and depending the time of the year, the beaches,the sand have a rusty color.By your remarks homefire I think that perhaps it was a coating of that color.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54008.html#msg54008

Offline outback
Internet Pirate
Gold Member

Internet Pirate
Thank you11

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 9

1555.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by luckyp
Yes you and fews others gave me an answer that made me in doubt that it was gold plated.So back to step one.
New polishing at 15.000rpm for 2 minutes
Buffering at  35.0000rpm for 3 minutes.
Test electronic mizar good for 14k.
Test acid with stone good for 14k.
You will see by the new picture that there is no scratch and the color is what white gold should be.
Also clearly mark inside ARTCARVED 14K.Looking on google this manufacturer has been in business since 1850.
In that case having established clearly that it is 14k how do you explain the color of the first picture if there is no tarnish?
By the way I want to thank you Alan for the great article on beachcombing that I read a long time ago.I learned a lot particularly on movements of the waves.I use your advises by going on a surfer site called magicseaweed.
Cleaned up nice

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54015.html#msg54015

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 05:07:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That ring is a real beauty! Well done.

Regarding water near the ocean, some places where the water is combined fresh and sea water mixed are called 'brackish' and in my experience have the absolute best fishing in the world! Back Bay in Virginia near Oceana is a fabulous bass fishing spot. When used as a swimming spot, the calm waters make it a great place to hunt in the water later.

This salt content, of course, does make it harder to determine how long an item was in the water. Depending on tides, the water can be really salty one day and nearly clear of salt on the next. This will complicate your estimate if you are still trying to make a guess about how long it was in the water.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8519.msg54044.html#msg54044

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: