[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline VOC
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:52:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Part 1

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.ssssllc.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/WDM-Flor-do-Mar-I.pdf

Part 2

Please Register or Login

http://www.ssssllc.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/WDM-Flor-do-Mar-II.pdf

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg48804.html#msg48804

Offline salvor6
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 06:39:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for that article VOC. Well it seems like the Flor will never be excavated legally. Too many lawsuits will have it tied up in courts for a long time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg48828.html#msg48828

Offline CorneliusTopic starter
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:10:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you , VOC ,Findoldstuff and Salvor  for your interest in the matter . There are very few guys on this forum interested in shipwrecks and all that has to do with it .  A few remarks  , the  post of VOC is information that is readily available on the net . This article was written by Robert Marx .  He gets paid for these articles and as such romantisize the story . He realy does not tell us anything . The map he is using is an old map that was drawn years after the shipwreck  . You have to read the map as saying ,  ,, somewhere here the wrecking  took place ,, .  Marx never found the wreck because he was looking in the wrong place . I have narrowed it down quite a bit and will write about it a little later in this thread  . Marx went blindly by a map that was wrong . He did not do any research to prove that he was right by going after the wreck as he did .  The few artifacts he found came most likely from some dealers in Malaysia  and part of them may also have come from the wreck of the  ,,van Sittard ,,  if they ever found that wreck . Give me some more time and I will disclose whatever I found out . Right now I am waiting on some archives that will be sent to me .   I am working with a 180 year old atlas from Indonesia  ( at that time  ,, the Dutch East Indies ,, ) . This  atlas is the only one outside of the musea  and very accurate .   It shows the coastline of Sumatra the way it realy was  ( and is ) . This map will help me quite a bit in my research . Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg48837.html#msg48837

Offline salvor6
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:17:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius, if I understand it, didnt the pilot of the Flor (who was one of the survivors) draw a chart of the area with the position of the wreck?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg48868.html#msg48868

Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:39:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No Salvor there was no map drawn at that time .  They just told the story and later mapmakers filled in the spot they thought was the wrecking place . It was not that important anyhow because they saw no way of salvaging the wreck .  You  see , the East coast of Sumatra is a very low area with a lot of mud  ( contrary to the West coast which is very hilly with a lot of high mountains ) . When we say that the sip was wrecked on a reef  , I think that is was more like a sand bar  or bank . These sandbars changed with the tides because of a very strong  current . Of course it could have been a reef  but this is highly unlikely .  In an area like that the ship would have sunk into the mud within 4 or 5 days  . Most of the ship would have been vanished in the first day . So possible salvage  , even at a shallow depth , by the local population probably never took place  .   Regards  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg48874.html#msg48874

Offline findoldstuff
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 07:03:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Cornelius, Salvor and all
Mud could be a good thing.
Depending on how bad the ship broke apart. Mud could hold the parts together tighter than in sand. Cornelius you might also check  sub surface surveys ( soil surveys) of course a core sample of the suspected area would yield better results. In other words it might tell you how deep the targets may have sunk in the mud. 
Ships in mud have been better preserved than in sand. Just let us know how we can help.
FindOldStuff

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg48915.html#msg48915

Offline aquanut
Bronze Member

I have 18x24 signed Giclee Stretched Canvas prints are available for $200 each. The entire set will go for $700. This is the demise of the 1715 Spanish Plate (silver) Fleet in a Hurricane and has been two years in the making. I hope you like it. This didn
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse, Tesoro Tiger Shark
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 07:48:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius, Though I have nothing to offer as far as research on this wreck, I'm very interested in your research. Please keep posting . It seems you have stirred up some interest among some who have theories and research of their own. Too bad the wreck is on the other side of the world. Not too many of us have the funding available to go after it.
Best.
Aquanut

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg49022.html#msg49022

Silver Member

Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 08:39:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Aquanut . For some it is enough to do the research and find the wrecking place  Teach . For others it is the gold they are after   Devil . I don't know in what category I fall . I will post whatever I can find on this story . If there are people that are going to use my info , they are welcome to it . To dig up information is an adventure by itself  .    Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg49030.html#msg49030

Offline wrecksite
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Belgium

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is info from the wrecksite:

Please Register or Login

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?104916

Same ship ?
Best Regards, Jan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg49768.html#msg49768

Offline thunter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 01:46:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cornelius, definitely interested as I have spent a little bit of time researching this shipwreck myself. Thanks for bringing up the subject and please continue !
Posted on: September 15, 2009, 02:21:35 PM
Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Thank you , VOC ,Findoldstuff and Salvor  for your interest in the matter . There are very few guys on this forum interested in shipwrecks and all that has to do with it .  A few remarks  , the  post of VOC is information that is readily available on the net . This article was written by Robert Marx .  He gets paid for these articles and as such romantisize the story . He realy does not tell us anything . The map he is using is an old map that was drawn years after the shipwreck  . You have to read the map as saying ,  ,, somewhere here the wrecking  took place ,, .  Marx never found the wreck because he was looking in the wrong place . I have narrowed it down quite a bit and will write about it a little later in this thread  . Marx went blindly by a map that was wrong . He did not do any research to prove that he was right by going after the wreck as he did .  The few artifacts he found came most likely from some dealers in Malaysia  and part of them may also have come from the wreck of the  ,,van Sittard ,,  if they ever found that wreck . Give me some more time and I will disclose whatever I found out . Right now I am waiting on some archives that will be sent to me .   I am working with a 180 year old atlas from Indonesia  ( at that time  ,, the Dutch East Indies ,, ) . This  atlas is the only one outside of the musea  and very accurate .   It shows the coastline of Sumatra the way it realy was  ( and is ) . This map will help me quite a bit in my research . Cornelius
Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Cornelius, I showed a copy of that map to a spanish friend of mine and asked him to translate the words Aqui Seperdeo Alfonso d' Albuquerque that mark the purported spot of the wreck. His transation was " Here lost Alfonso d' Albuquerque". My thoughts at the time was what did he lose there?? Based on some research I had done, the only thing I could think of that he lost there, if my friends translation is taken literally, was the junk loaded with some of the Mollucan treasure and it's original crew that had escaped to that area after killing the portugese crew that Albuquerque had placed on board. And not the Flor itself. That is just my personal conjecture.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7697.msg49857.html#msg49857

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: