[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline vox veritas
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 04:19:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Luc,
interesting wreck. You can tell us the primary source of historical information? About 1563 there is much confusion. For example Pedro Menendezwas not to New Spain, but his son, Juan Menendez, and several vessels of this fleet disappeared at sea before the Bermuda Island. On the site of the sinking of the capitana, there are several versions. Some say it was lost on the Dominica Island, but I researched and found evidence that was lost on an island in the Bahamas (see this chapter in my book Galleons and sunken treasure.)
Undoubtedly, this subject is very interesting.
Cheers VV

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111569.html#msg111569

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 05:12:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All,  to me it sounds like the best info is what has been recovered, cannon and a chest. Now if we can find out where these shrimp boat are based, and where are the fishing grounds are. Then we are in the ball park. Im thinking its a process of tracing the recovered objects back to the boats. SO if we can find the seller & buyer then work back to the fishermen...     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111573.html#msg111573

Offline Sedonan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 06:47:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

There were no hurricanes around the Americas in 1563 according to Dr. Jose Carlos Millas in his excellent book?.? Hurricanes of the Caribbean?. Most of the information on ?La Madalena? or ?Magdalena? comes from the books of Marx, and then Singer, who copied Marx. These narratives are suspect to begin with. There was a hurricane off Florida in 1565, which sank at least 4 vessels of Jean Ribault?s French fleet. The French were fleeing an attack by the Spanish from the area of Fort Caroline when caught by the storm. Also there is mention of a loss of 5 vessels in the fleet of Juan Mendez in the Bahamas in 1565, one of which MAY have been ?La Magdalena?.
The recovery of a bronze cannon in a shrimper?s net in 1983 supposedly was accomplished by Frank Brawley (former owner of Port Canaveral Marina, now deceased). The cannon reportedly was dated 1560.
Frank took me to the approximate area of his recovery, which is off the False Cape (Canaveral). If it is there, it is in state waters and no permits will be issued by the State of Florida.
In 1989, Mel Fisher told me that the remains of Ribault?s  fleet had washed ashore near Playalinda Beach north of Cape Canaveral, and that timbers had been found there.
Also, many years ago, treasure hunters had found ?some? bronze cannons under the beach at that location.
Another quote:
?Shrimp fishermen have been lucky in the area and have recovered one bronze cannon that was sold to a private collector for $15,000, another bronze cannon was found in close proximity but was dated  decades after the ill-fated La Madalena. A chest of 3,000 Spanish four and eight reale coins was discovered by another shrimp fisherman in his shrimp net. The coins were dated between 1748 and 1751.?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111579.html#msg111579

Him thief him fren' of him last Guiney
  Him kill both Priest and Friar,o dear.
    Him cut de troat of piccanniny
      Bloody, bloody buccaneer.

Offline LucTopic starter
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 09:36:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all

Thank you all for such vital information, participate in the search for truth and this is interesting for those who are passionate about this subject.

All the best

Luc  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111601.html#msg111601

Lucky Luc

Offline vox veritas
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Spain

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, it ended the "ghost shipwrecks." Now we must prove it with information about the primary historical source.
Cheers VV  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111759.html#msg111759

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 01:37:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well we know have a little bit more info on the old wreck. Sedonan has mentioned the area of one canon, so how about the chest and the other canon ? The area of the wreck could be quite vast, especially being in an area that hurricanes are known.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111762.html#msg111762

Offline Sedonan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

What part of "ghost ship" don't you understand? (just kidding) There must be over 50 old wrecks in the immediate vicinity.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111784.html#msg111784

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 08:50:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great stuff guys! Thanks for the new info Smiley

A couple thoughts,

The Darien quote above just says the fleet belonged to Pedro. I can easily see him sending his son to New Spain to command it. I'm not saying it's a fact simply that the two pieces of info may not disagree.

So if the coins were dated 1748 to 1751 (a period of 3 years) why would they have sat around waiting 12 years before being shipped to spain? It's obviously possible but is it likely? Seems to me this would indicate possibly another older shipwreck?

The cannon is very close to the dates but how long did the ship see service before she was lost. She would have had to be fairly new or recently outfitted if her cannon was from 1560 and lost somewhere from 1563 to 1565. The cannon would have been cast quite some time before it was placed on ship, then many months to get to the pickup spot.

Does the location of the cannon find and the chest find make sense to tie together? They are from a close date range sure, but are they really artifacts from the same ship? 

fun stuff guys!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111803.html#msg111803

Offline Sedonan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 01:46:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"So if the coins were dated 1748 to 1751 (a period of 3 years) why would they have sat around waiting 12 years before being shipped to spain? It's obviously possible but is it likely? Seems to me this would indicate possibly another older shipwreck?"

Huh? That's 1563.

"Does the location of the cannon find and the chest find make sense to tie together? They are from a close date range sure, but are they really artifacts from the same ship?"

Idaho, sorry. Not from the same ship since they are 200 years apart. The dunes around Cape Canaveral are filled with Spanish gold and silver, salvaged from shipwrecks by the Ais indians. As I stated before, there are many wrecks in the area where the cannon and chest were found.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111859.html#msg111859

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 02:03:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats what I get for posting too fast too early in the morning.... thanks for the correction.

For some reason I thought the chest was relevant to the La Madelena story and transposed the date in my mind to 1500 not 1700. Obviously they can't be from her, you're right. Reading comprehension for the win.

Still I'd like to know if the cannon could be from her or none of the relics recovered mean anything to this story, and she could be anywhere (almost)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15244.msg111861.html#msg111861

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: