[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TonyWells
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

U/W Metal Detectors
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:30:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One sq. foot of air will lift 64 pounds underwater so if you know how heavy your object is it's easy to calculate how many sq. foot of air you will need to lift it.

No point in getting a metal detector on that object if the drum is metal your metal detector just gonna sound off like crazy just for that reason. Is the drum rusty? If it is then it will most likely bust open and spill out the contents when trying to lift it. Or, why don't you just take a crow bar and bust open the drum so can already see what's inside it?

TW

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54166.html#msg54166

Offline scorpio16062Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

can't remember the brand
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hello everyone....i'd like to clear this issue, i'm not waiting for the detector...i'm waiting for my friend from the states who bought a detector coz this is not the only project that we have. this is only one of our projects...is that clear?!
to everyone who gave me positive comment...a huge thank you! Kiss well, my friends father's in law is the one who knows and we should respect my friend that's i need his presence on the operation.
       we'll try to hire a diver so we can check the position of the drum but i'm sure there's no bomb when its under water, somebody agree or not!
cheers!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54252.html#msg54252

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 11:16:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Most of the time a barrel with a chain on it is used to anchor a buoy or as an attachment point for a barge. Nothing more. They are usually filled with cement. That's what I think you've found. A barrel full of cement.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54257.html#msg54257

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline cap miwa
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

Japan

830.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 04:50:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

pull it with a tractor or a truck with winch to a shallow place and punch a hole through the drum. no need to bring it out. it is better to keep it in  shallow water so it will not be exposed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54270.html#msg54270

Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:49:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah poke a hole in it while it's in the water so the 55 gallons of waste oil will spill out and pollute the area. Please think it through.   Torture

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54273.html#msg54273

Offline Ivor no cash
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

cscope 5mx & r1
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 10:56:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi I am new to all this just registerd, but after reading all thes posts just had to make a comment first is the drum old or new,
could it be from ww2 is it a standard 45 gal drum Could it be a floating drum tetherd to a anchor chain what may of sank,
Is it a makeshift drag anchor,Is it a underwater MINE, or is it full of toxic wast or some other illegally dumped substance.
The boats in my local fishing ports pul-up sea mines in ther nets of all shapes and forms all the time.
(a 45gal drum of lead will not weigh 5 ton ?)
Think befor you start, Do you have permision to retrieve this drum if not forgetit if yes seek advice from local experts (AUTHORITIES)
Take photo,s so you can show these people,And think safe (IF IN DOUBT LEAVE IT OUT).
We all dream of finding a huge nugget but if you open this drum without expert advice you may become the nugget  NO OFFENCE.

AND GOOD LUCK.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54290.html#msg54290

Offline farmdigger
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2085.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 11:06:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ya whatever you do be smart about this and don't get so excited it clouds your judgement.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54291.html#msg54291

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:13:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ya, take a hammer and chisel and poke a hole thru it. If it explodes you know it was a depth charge.  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54292.html#msg54292

Offline TonyWells
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

U/W Metal Detectors
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 07:10:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ivor no cash
Hi I am new to all this just registerd, but after reading all thes posts just had to make a comment first is the drum old or new,
could it be from ww2 is it a standard 45 gal drum Could it be a floating drum tetherd to a anchor chain what may of sank,
Is it a makeshift drag anchor,Is it a underwater MINE, or is it full of toxic wast or some other illegally dumped substance.
The boats in my local fishing ports pul-up sea mines in ther nets of all shapes and forms all the time.
(a 45gal drum of lead will not weigh 5 ton ?)
Think befor you start, Do you have permision to retrieve this drum if not forgetit if yes seek advice from local experts (AUTHORITIES)
Take photo,s so you can show these people,And think safe (IF IN DOUBT LEAVE IT OUT).
We all dream of finding a huge nugget but if you open this drum without expert advice you may become the nugget  NO OFFENCE.

AND GOOD LUCK.

I agree with what you're saying about how this guy should be careful and all.. BUT... Excuse me, but WHO in their right mind in the Philippines would ever ask the Local Authorities about anything that you suspect may be treasure or whatever? Why? So the very Honest Local Authorities can just TAKE it from you? Get real. The Local Authorities are mostly all corrupt and a bunch or crooks so I'd stay as far away from them as possible. Just my two cents..
Cheers,
TW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54377.html#msg54377

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 09:15:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Tony , you should know better than to call the local authorities crooks . They read these forums too you know . It may back-fire on you Undecided     Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8309.msg54386.html#msg54386

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: