[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline EJTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

good tips, thanks for encouragement.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg66110.html#msg66110

Old Tickers never die, they just tick off beat.......EJ

Offline backitup83
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT x2 ----BH Sharp Shooter 2--Discovery2&1000
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Helloooo every one, new to the forum but not new to detecting,,, I second the motion for ToT lots, easy digging, mostly sand. I dont know about your detector, if it has a depth guage, dig only the shallow targets, 4 to 6 inches give or take an inch except in the tot lots with the loose sand ,easy digging. Use your yard as a test bed and and learn what your machine is saying. The more you use it the easier it will be to tell what that sound might mean. Also a pin pointer would be a good investment, harbor freight sells a cheap one that works really well. No need to pay big bucks for a pointer. Schools also have swings with sand pits, easy digging in the sand again. Relic to me just sounds like a lot of digging, start small, shallow. I zone when i detect--- i dont think about work,the wife-the bills-the kids-i take it as slow or as fast as i want. when i find im in a spot that the digging is ruff, i move on and come back to that spot at a later time, or not at all. Some places have surface clutter,trash. Mixed in and under the clutter and trash is what you seek. Once you learn what your machine is saying it will be easier to pick out those coins. Pratice, pratice,by going out and using it. Coins can most of the time be dugg fairly easy with the small spade type diggers-no digging jinormas holes. Just slip it into the ground around where you located the item,,and that part will get better also with use, at some point in time you should be able to pinpoint with your detector and once u have done that,,,jam a screw drive into the ground and hit what you pinpointed,,,,dont use a screw drive though use a brass rod with a handle or  anything that will not damge the coin or ring ect---once you have circled the item with your digger tool stick it in on side and lift that plug up....then use your small pinpointer to locate the item. In sand a sand scoop would be of better use id the sand is deep enough,,,, and before i get blasted, always cover the holes you dig, and throw dug trash away. There are alot of methods to dig a plug and alot of information in the forum and other forums that cover this...I use my yard to pratice digging neat plugs-or not...I also dont digg parks just for that reason-i cover my holes but im not dainty enough to digg a neat plugg in the park-
                     Helllo to all looking forward to many hours of reading and meeting new people.
                                                                                        Mike  Chesapeake va

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg66138.html#msg66138

Sometimes you just have to ask WWFGD?

Offline axe227
Knight
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

500.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

whites Prizm V, DMX , E-Trac, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 11:39:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hang in there some of the nicest find came out of my back yard. Indian heads, buffalo nickles, old matchbox cars, a gun(real), Some odd junk. But every rain or spring i go over the same areas and still seem to find more stuff in 3 to 8 inch soil.  IN NEW JERSEY of all places.
AXE

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg67300.html#msg67300

Offline daddyriggins
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F4
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

howdy,

I understand what it means to be discouraged.  I recently purchased an MPX and took it out to the yard for a test.   All it seems to do is BEEP all of the time...LOUD and RANDOM.  Is this common?  I live in Virginia and we had a deep snow about 2 weeks ago...the ground is frozen as well.  Could that be causing my issues?  Anybody else having the same problems?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg67307.html#msg67307

Offline Gusar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Bosnia and Herzegovina

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 01:56:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Try other detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg67327.html#msg67327

Offline IronHorse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

266.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett, Pro,Tesoro Deleon
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 12:31:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sometimes after a freeze, coins have a tendency just like pebbles...to move closer to the surface. I have detected the same places after several times in the past, and uncovered coins again. Also, in the summertime when it is very dry and hardly any rain, lake levels go down and MD along the declining shoreline can be very rewarding . Many finds are possible....just don't be discouraged and hang in there. Your turn is coming !!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg67884.html#msg67884

Offline DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

225.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRETT
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey EJ

Ever get the impression that ya gotta Lotta friends out here?
Keep it up. It's worth it. Post us your next find.
DC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg67885.html#msg67885

IT'S NOT THE YEAR, IT'S THE MILEAGE

Offline Quarterkings
Bronze Member

Thank you52

Activity
0%

2810.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett's and Bouny Hunters
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have been detecting since 1977 using those non-discriminating machines in the past. Talk about discouragement, I have seen plenty of that.
I have since moved up to other models that offer better features and my finds have increased dramatically.
Many a novice detectorist have quit because they expect to find great finds right away. It takes time to know your machine and patience to get to a level that you start to find those goodies that make your heart pound hard.
I don't relic hunt because I like coinshooting and jewelry finds.
Many a time I have been skunked with less than a dollar finds,but then again many a time I have come home with lots of change and some gold and silver items.
 Keep at it!! Pretty soon you'll be popping out those great finds to share with us.
 I use a Lesche digger because the ground around here is so hard that other diggers would not survive.(Especially in the summer when the soil turns concrete hard)
 Keep us infomed about the progress you have made. It took me about a month to get the hang of a detector that I got a couple of years ago.
 Keep your chin up.
 HH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg68326.html#msg68326

Offline davida5193
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

tesoro compadre
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked what detector are you using? :-  may I suggest a tesoro compadre to put the fun back in.
 >:(for some reason I have been named as the author of this topic, this is not true, I only replied to the posting, I am a very happy detectorist with 2 very fine detectors that find the goods. Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg68346.html#msg68346

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 03:48:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by daddyriggins
howdy,

I understand what it means to be discouraged.  I recently purchased an MPX and took it out to the yard for a test.   All it seems to do is BEEP all of the time...LOUD and RANDOM.  Is this common?  I live in Virginia and we had a deep snow about 2 weeks ago...the ground is frozen as well.  Could that be causing my issues?  Anybody else having the same problems?

My backyard is too full of metal to be searchable, what with the sprinkler system, drip lines, wiring to the house, etc.  Maybe you're running over stuff like that...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg71026.html#msg71026

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5    Go Up
Jump to: