[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline EJTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Eldorado
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:10:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

I got my Tesoro Eldorado about 3 weeks ago. I haven't been out, until today, for over a week. My husband was ragging me last night about jumping into this hobby and now growing cold. I don't believe that. A little over a week ago I found another deep target in my 100 yr old yard. I had iron disc'ed out (have dug several deep iron targets from this yard already but nothing good)  I dug down 6 inches or so but got very tired, (hardpan clay soil.) Ended up having a bug and being down for a few days. Since then its been raining, ALOT.
    I'm beginning to think relic hunting is not for me, I'm gettin real tired of digging. So this AM I took the machine out to a tot lot (in a rural community, doesn't see a lot of action) it was 53 degrees and foggy so nobody would be out. I spent maybe 1/2 hr halfheartedly hunting around playground equip. and found one soda tab that was visible. Got other hits but only 1 strong enough for me to want to dig. The only target I did dig I didn't find in about 3 inches so I gave up.
    I guess my question is if I search in all metal and get a loud response, then switch to disc with iron disc out, and still get a tone should I believe that it is a shallower target? In other words can I use my all metal search for telling me approx depth by the sound of its response? Then test it for being trash with the disc, so I don't keep wearing myself out? I've still got a lot to learn, but I've found out I hate digging deep targets. If I'd ever find one that was worth digging maybe, but I'm having to use a spade shovel and dig 8 to 10 inches a hole that is about 6 to 8 inches round in order to fit the shovel in the hole. My smaller digging tools won't dig this soil. I use a metal putty knife for shallow targets, but now that I have the Tesoro finding shallow targets has been almost non existent. Anybody got tips?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg53937.html#msg53937

Old Tickers never die, they just tick off beat.......EJ

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

You definitely sound discouraged.  Undecided Hang in there!  This takes quite a lot of persistance & patience.  My thoughts are:  only go out when you feel like it.  This is a hobby, not your job.  It's supposed to be fun!  When you're not having fun anymore, head home and try again another day.  Personally, I just enjoy being outside (I work in a dark room with no windows, so being outdoors is a thrill for me!) and I don't have great expectations of finding huge treasure, so when I do find something valuable, it's a bonus, not an expectation.

Read your owner's manual front to back, and then read it again.  Some of our Tesoro experts can give you additional detailed tips.  But be aware that if what you're seeking are relics, you are probably going to be doing a bit deeper digging than people who are beach combing.  It's just the nature of what you seek.  But those relics have been in the ground for many, many years, so if you can't retrieve them all today, it's okay.  They'll probably still be there waiting for you tomorrow! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg53945.html#msg53945

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:39:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Ej,

welll hunting in Allmetal will generally give you greater depth. The stronger the sound either the closer your are to the target or the bigger it is. You should expect big iron targets to be often deeper than 3'' hence I would recommend using a strong digging tool.

What targets are you manly out for? If you are not really interested in iron relics then I would recommend to always hunt in Disc Mode with your Disc set to about 2. This will discriminate all iron.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg53946.html#msg53946

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline EJTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 12:20:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was going to use my old yard as practice for my new machine since its right out my front door. But I think it is overwhelming me. I enjoyed the day I spent combing the fairgrounds the day after the fair left town, it was easy digging and lots of clad to find. I didn't have my Tesoro yet, so when I did the fair, I had an old BH Fast Tracker so I didn't get any experience with new machine. I would rather beach comb and do parks than relic hunt, but again this yard is right here. I've yet to go beachcombing, we go to a lake a couple hrs away and go to the sand island to search, its been raining and cold since I got the Tesoro, now the lake has risen 3'. We're nowhere near any saltwater beaches. I mainly want to learn how to approximate depth with my Tesoro, I can then dig the shallower targets in the yard, and mark the deeper ones for later. I'm pretty sure the all metal search signal is a much louder squawk when the target is shallower. Then if I hit disc and it still rings true, I MAY have something.  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg53962.html#msg53962

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:38:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here is what I recommend. Rush off to your local library and find books on metal detecting. They are out there. Then go to your local newsstand and pick up one issue of every treasure hunting magazine you can find. Sit down with a nice cup of your favorite hot beverage and read, dream and plan your next outing. Reading here on these forums is nice but there is a limited amount of information that people can put into a single post. Just reading your first post in this topic had me wishing I could visit you and your husband for a chat and some instruction. Since I live in Australia, that means a long flight, several taxi rides and some jet lag to deal with. The books, on the other hand, will comfort and instruct you very nicely.

For starters, see if you can find books by Charles Garrett, Roy Lagal or Karl Von Mueller. Any of their books will both thrill and tease you. Trust me on that. If you want to own them, go to the Garrett website.

Please Register or Login

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_ram_books.htm

In addition to those books, look on eBay for Karl Von Mueller or The Treasure Hunters Manual Volume 6 and 7. Consider the Coinshooters Handbook or the VLF/TR Handbook as well.

Above all, keep searching. When you find your very first item of value, you will feel a full body tingle that you will never forget.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg54031.html#msg54031

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline SharenH
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

1120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 505
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:15:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

DON'T STOP!!! I too have the hard time finding the time to go out.  But when you find your first penny, the thrill is overwhelming!  Try just going out by your driveway or a side walk close to your home.  Yes you will find all the trash at first, but try to remember the sounds. And remember, by going over the same site again and again, you have gotten alot of trash out already.

Im here if you ever want to chat. This is a really great hobby.  It has helped me zone out the everyday stress.   Don't add stress.  Just enjoy the time.

SharenH

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg54047.html#msg54047

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:48:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't give up--that front yard or back yard may be hiding something that just magically presents itself to you as you swing that little coil above the ground one of these days-ya just never know about those things--I've went back and found stuff right where I was sure I'd wiped out all finds on previous hunts-strange how it can be that way... Detecting Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg54089.html#msg54089

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:51:01 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline EJTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:13:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just a small update, yesterday afternoon I went out to my yard again, and the second target was a qtr, about 2 inches deep that came up with the first plug I dug, it was awesome. Its not an old qtr but its the only thing of any value I've found in this yard. I needed that. Thanks very much to everyone for your encouragement and tips. I will call the library as soon as they open GD. Thanks again, its nice to know this forum is so helpful.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg54114.html#msg54114

Offline unoturbo
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Estonia

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

X-Terra 70
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:00:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, that was great news Smiley
Go EJ! Wish You luck in Your searching!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg54124.html#msg54124

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 01:30:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by EJ
Just a small update, yesterday afternoon I went out to my yard again, and the second target was a qtr, about 2 inches deep that came up with the first plug I dug, it was awesome. Its not an old qtr but its the only thing of any value I've found in this yard. I needed that. Thanks very much to everyone for your encouragement and tips. I will call the library as soon as they open GD. Thanks again, its nice to know this forum is so helpful.

One thing no one has suggested.... talk the OM into doing the digging, until you *get the hang of it.*

If he digs some good things, from those deep finds, he is going to be excited about it and will forget about complaining! You have to employ some psychology.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8609.msg54179.html#msg54179

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: