[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello everyone

How I understand the story is that the treasure of the monastery was originally in the crypts under the prior apartments. ( See pictorial map of monastery where arrow is pointing.)

Due to the events of the French revolution the devious monks had time to rebury their treasure. In a location in a cave that could be found by understanding the symbols on the boundary stones.

The first diagram was I think came from the crypt. The second and first diagrams were diagrams of some of the boundary stones.

Understanding the meaning of the symbols is not my strong point. Both of you have very interesting and plausible ideas of how they could be understood.

Gold digger:

In answer to comments about part of the first symbol that something appears to be  missing? I have found a picture that show the symbols in better context. (see below and other stone boundary markers )

Hardluck  Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg53829.html#msg53829

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Plangrave.jpg
chrisme.jpg

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:40:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello everyone

How I understand the story is that the treasure of the monastery was originally in the crypts under the prior apartments. ( See pictorial map of monastery where arrow is pointing.)

Due to the events of the French revolution the devious monks had time to rebury their treasure. In a location in a cave that could be found by understanding the symbols on the boundary stones.

The first diagram was I think came from the crypt. The second and first diagrams were diagrams of some of the boundary stones.

Understanding the meaning of the symbols is not my strong point. Both of you have very interesting and plausible ideas of how they could be understood.

Gold digger:

In answer to comments about part of the first symbol that something appears to be  missing? I have found a picture that show the symbols in better context. (see below and other stone boundary markers )

Hardluck  Smiley

Very good, they show some different aspects to the inscriptions.... it does not make a solution any clearer, but....   Shocked

Both versions of the one inscription make it clearer, definitely, and one letter I thought might be the letter pi, may not be, after all....  an acronym? It looks like *SOL* with an A underneath, as a ramp. My grandma said SOL was *sortof outof luck,* which is the polite form.  Grin

I like cryptology, but really need more *clues.* And my French has left me!  Shocked

It looks like *S, D (Thorn), L, with A as a down-ramp; fill in with the appropriate French or Latin words..... my Latin dictionary is a mile away across the room!   Grin

S - sous
D - de, devant, ?
L - le, ?
A - Abbaye, abri, ??

Just wild guesses... ?  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg53860.html#msg53860

goldigger

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 01:33:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Goldigger

It is a very interesting Idea you have. that perhaps the word is Latin or french? As for My grandma said SOL was *sort of out of luck,* which is the polite form.   Grin

Thats the story of my life  Grin

The word Sol is very interesting Because...

Maybe the word has some thing other meaning?

Perhaps the devious old monks were dabbling in Alchemy?

In old archaic 16th/17th century Alchemist tables, Sol is represents the sun which represents gold on the Alchemist Table.

hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg53904.html#msg53904

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Live it is a treasure to enrich the spirit
Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher F75, Tesoro Eldorado
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:17:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello all

Goldigger

It is a very interesting Idea you have. that perhaps the word is Latin or french? As for My grandma said SOL was *sort of out of luck,* which is the polite form.   Grin

Thats the story of my life  Grin

The word Sol is very interesting Because...

Maybe the word has some thing other meaning?

Perhaps the devious old monks were dabbling in Alchemy?

In old archaic 16th/17th century Alchemist tables, Sol is represents the sun which represents gold on the Alchemist Table.

hardluck  Wink

Hello everyone,

A little reflection on the engraved stone marked with an S and O and different features.
1 - Regarding the photo "claque.jpg" the typescript reads: map engraved in the prior's house on a stone wall behind a cupboard.

This suggests that the stone was engraved was located above ground level, since there was a closet before.
It is more marked on the photo marked "TOP" on top of burning and "Down" at the bottom.

Positioning and burning in space.

2 - Regarding the picture now "Plangrave.jpg" she shows us a picture on a wall made of stone, engraving starting with S and O and above a ceiling or roof you block stones.

Does the photo is in the right direction, whether the burning was not near the ground, near the ceiling.
It was also generally the cupboards were done outside by artisans and then get inside, and had to pass doorways. Therefore its height was generally lower than the ceiling height of a piece.

This print would be perhaps visible even before the closet.

Looking at this stone carved up, it seems to be smaller than the others, partly because higher there are other stones smaller thicknesses put there to make up the difference in height.

If this stone had been taken during construction, it would have the same height as the others.

I leave you to pursue the issue.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg53915.html#msg53915

Lucky Luc

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 05:33:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Luc

It is an interesting observations you make. Perhaps the stone with the symbols was put there after the wall was constructed. And it is interesting as you have pointed out the difference in size of the block compared to the others around it. Could there be a void or passage behind these blocks?

However I am not exactly familiar with exact layout of the building, it is hard for me to know if I am seeing the stone in the right context.

Hardluck  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg53922.html#msg53922

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Luc

Hello everyone,

A little reflection on the engraved stone marked with an S and O and different features.
1 - Regarding the photo "claque.jpg" the typescript reads: map engraved in the prior's house on a stone wall behind a cupboard.

This suggests that the stone was engraved was located above ground level, since there was a closet before.
It is more marked on the photo marked "TOP" on top of burning and "Down" at the bottom.

Positioning and burning in space.

2 - Regarding the picture now "Plangrave.jpg" she shows us a picture on a wall made of stone, engraving starting with S and O and above a ceiling or roof you block stones.

Does the photo is in the right direction, whether the burning was not near the ground, near the ceiling.
It was also generally the cupboards were done outside by artisans and then get inside, and had to pass doorways. Therefore its height was generally lower than the ceiling height of a piece.

This print would be perhaps visible even before the closet.

Looking at this stone carved up, it seems to be smaller than the others, partly because higher there are other stones smaller thicknesses put there to make up the difference in height.

If this stone had been taken during construction, it would have the same height as the others.

I leave you to pursue the issue.

I think the *O* is not necessarily an *O* but a *?* or *Thorn,* actually a Celtic *D.*

Thus it would be *SDL* Huh???

The variation in stone thickness could mean there was a previous building that was partially destroyed, then rebuilt. For an extreme example, look at the stone work in Cuzco, Mexico.

It would not be unusual for differing sizes in masonry runs, in rebuilding because it would be a different mason, probably, and different materials.

IS there a difference, in the wall, in the masonry?

Maybe it is a false wall?

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg54149.html#msg54149

goldigger

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Goldigger

Your point of view is also correct. I have the impression that the engraving of this stone calls a continuity of plan to the right and down, I think that he had to it have engravings on neighbouring stones, what makes me say that this stone had been moved or served as re-use for the masonry. 
Look under at it  the S engraving is really tangent in the cement which makes the link with the stone of the bottom, (S is not ended).

The same observation to the right with what seems to be a plan. This is only a simple hypothesis, and I do not detain the truth.

Friendly.
Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg54277.html#msg54277

Lucky Luc

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 05:41:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Luc
Hello Goldigger

Your point of view is also correct. I have the impression that the engraving of this stone calls a continuity of plan to the right and down, I think that he had to it have engravings on neighbouring stones, what makes me say that this stone had been moved or served as re-use for the masonry. 
Look under at it  the S engraving is really tangent in the cement which makes the link with the stone of the bottom, (S is not ended).

The same observation to the right with what seems to be a plan. This is only a simple hypothesis, and I do not detain the truth.

Friendly.
Luc

It is unfortunate one can not use *fuzzy logic,* one could create a number of scenarios and operate the fuzzy logic to indicate the most probable scenario, much like forecasting the most likely path of the next bad weather. Shocked

Maybe that is a stretch of wishful thinking, but you never know until it is tried. Anybody, here, able to program in fuzzy logic? Cool

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg54329.html#msg54329

goldigger

Offline Luc
Silver Member

Thank you14

Activity
0%
Male
France

3491.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 12:33:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Hardluck and the other

As I told Hardluck during a previous "Reply" I have some shares in my second home, a record in this case "Villeneuve Les Avignon. I have to go down between Christmas and New Year in my house, and as I promised I will find this additional information.
On my return I would put on the website the information that I could muster.
Sincerely.

Luc

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg60862.html#msg60862

Lucky Luc

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Luc

Thank you for your interest and great knowledge of this great Topic. I cannot thank you enough your interesting insight into the story.

I await your posts after your Christmas holiday with great interest.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8384.msg60870.html#msg60870

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: