[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 06:33:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
but if they are not exciting or romance most writers will not write about them

Either that or they'll change important facts or leave out important information to make the story both exciting and false.  Sad   Need to learn to tell the difference between a campfire tale and a treasure lead.   But that's where this forum comes in handy.   Watch seldom and hardluck and some of the others tear into a story and you'll get the hang pretty quickly of how to tell the good stuff from the fables.  And thread like the one on the missing C47 in Africa help you learn how to take a "rumor" and chase the threads (still a whole lot of loose threads on that one, but a lot more good info has been uncovered than most of us thought possible when that topic started).

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg181989.html#msg181989

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 01:49:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Lets get back on topic a little bit.
Will Wilson was a treasure hunter in the 60's that was hot on the tail of the 17 tons of gold in New Mexico. A couple of old guys I know Both in their late 70's hunted with him back in the day. Anyway they claim he had tons of research and several maps about it. He was writing a book when he died around 1985. I am trying to track down his papers and research but can't get a handle on him. Like many of us he may have used several different names which means Will Wilson may not be his real name.

I have gone though all my books and files and spend 15 hours at the library and can't get a handle on this guy. My sources claim his home base was Carlsbad NM but moved to Dallas in the 1970's. Anyone know anything about Mr Wilson???

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg185855.html#msg185855

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:43:29 pm by seldom »

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Date wise we're too early for a DC-3 and probably for a DC-2 also.   A Junkers Tri-motor could have made it in 10 trips without much difficulty since it could carry a payload of roughly 6,000 pounds. (17 American tons = 34,000 pounds).   Only problem is they weren't widely available at the time (Canadian Airways got the 6th Junker Tri-motor ever produced in 1932).

The most likely candidate would have been a Ford Tri-motor.   With a payload of 2,000 pounds, it would have taken about 20 trips to haul the 17 tons of gold.   IF they pushed the plane to its max take-off weight and stripped out everything that wasn't absolutely necessary, they MIGHT have been able to make it in 12 or so trips, but that would have been no crew and sucking fuel.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg185869.html#msg185869

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Anyone know anything about Mr Wilson???

Might be some friends of Bill W here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg185872.html#msg185872

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 05:17:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One thing that sticks in my mine is fuel there seems there would be some records of fuel sales somewhere.

BA and GD came up with an interesting theory while we were talking earlier that maybe it was moved by rail then truck to New Mexico this is a whole lot easier to believe then bring it in by plane.

So this is where I am at.
1. The Trabuco group put together 12 plus tons of gold with the intentions of moving it to the US to sale when the price was set at 32 dollars an oz.
2. The group flew xx tons of gold to the US and hide it in the four corners area.
3. The group realizing they could not profit from the gold abandon it.

OK
1. Yes I think the group amassed some gold but no where near 17 tones maybe a few 1000 pounds. Even in Mexico taking that much gold out of circulation would raise eye brows and start an investigation.
2. Even a few 1000 pounds would be hard to fly out with out people knowing and some records somewhere. Using BA and GD theory that it was moved by rail and or truck makes the most sense here.
3. Realizing they could not sell it they would not walk away they would try to get it back to Mexico.
Put all that together and it makes me believe that the gold any gold was ever brought into the US.    

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg185879.html#msg185879

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, You did mention rail & truck earlier. Perhaps all methods could have been used  Cool

Posted on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:43 AM
I also agree that the 17 tones could be more over the limit of what could be out there, or not!. Where does this figure first pop up? A different cache perhaps of an earlier legend? Is there any still out there...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg186576.html#msg186576

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

1. Yes I think the group amassed some gold but no where near 17 tones maybe a few 1000 pounds. Even in Mexico taking that much gold out of circulation would raise eye brows and start an investigation.
2. Even a few 1000 pounds would be hard to fly out with out people knowing and some records somewhere. Using BA and GD theory that it was moved by rail and or truck makes the most sense here.
3. Realizing they could not sell it they would not walk away they would try to get it back to Mexico.
Put all that together and it makes me believe that the gold any gold was ever brought into the US.

They would have been more likely to buy gold from those secretly hoarding it in the US at top dollar on the speculation that gold would increase in value over the years. Moving it to Mexico in very small parcels by hand, car, truck, train or even burro would have been a smarter move. Some of those smaller arrests of the day may have been part of a bigger scheme. Keeping it for decades probably didn't happen either. Gold has an intrinsic value. Jewelry has a much higher value when sold as jewelry and the artisans in Mexico have superior skills in that area.

I believe the gold is all but gone now and on the fingers and around the necks of some wealthy folks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg186673.html#msg186673

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:52:55 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yea I have to agree that if it ever was its gone now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg186686.html#msg186686

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 10:10:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Who really knows what has happened to the gold!?shore would be interesting to get a bit more info and a few more answers. Perhaps a few more smaller opportunities are out there.  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg186733.html#msg186733

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldnboy
Who really knows what has happened to the gold!?shore would be interesting to get a bit more info and a few more answers. Perhaps a few more smaller opportunities are out there.  Cool

Quite right but do look at what happened here. A few experienced people who have hunted and tracked down leads for probably 200 years between us have analyzed a story for you as an object lesson. Truly, it could have gone the other way except for the exaggeration of the amount of gold. Had the story said, "1000 ounces of gold," we would all still be discussing it. That much gold is movable in secret and very concealable. Heavy, yes, but not beyond reasonable means for clandestine movement.

The exaggeration was either a gross error or a deliberate move to obfuscate the truth of it being a far smaller amount. Either way, logical dissection of the tale took place before your very eyes here. I do hope you see the lesson here. Being a "chirpy" sort of commentator here is an inappropriate response. The discussion is not about "oh, well, try again" at all. It's all about research and resolving questions that can mislead a bloke like yourself. Had you only read the very first post in this thread, you'd probably be wandering around in Mexico one day looking for a puff of dust known as a legend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15736.msg186896.html#msg186896

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to: