[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline conanTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Firefox 43.0
Firefox 43.0

Awards
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi does anyone have a Vehicle Car Charger the original Garrett Made For the VLF Sea Hunters XS500 or XL500
I'm not sure but maybe the Pulse one is the same number on charger unit I think is 16079
If you have one with that number or from the models mention above can you let us know
If you want to part with it or the whole unit or just tell us the output it has by testing it
Thank You

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308554.html#msg308554

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Chargers Headphones.jpg
VLF Sea Hunter.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 12:19:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

PM me if you want me to see if Garratt has one in stock. I have one but won't give it up. I still use mine even though it is more than 30 years old.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308566.html#msg308566

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Firefox 43.0
Firefox 43.0

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Golddigger and thanks for reply
Can you do me a couple of favors regarding the charger by giving this answers
The first one is what model do you have Pulse or VLF ?
Is the number on the car charger unit 16079 if it's still there on the sticker?
And what is the voltage output that comes out of it AC or DC and how many ?
I have the Garrett house charger for the VLF models with 110 volt AC input and 24 volts AC output
That's why I want to find out what the car charger would be before attempting to make one that will suit
by connecting the plug from one of the house chargers since I have two of those
by reading the old Garrett catalogs that I have it's not very clear but the part number 16079 fits to use
with all the older models Pulse and VLF and the input is 12 volts negative ground but they don't mention
the what the output is unless it's on the little module with the yellow sticker

One more thing but I don't want to confuse you but maybe by coincidence you know?
Garrett made a similar car charger in all aspects other then the output plug of course
for the Rechargeable Battery trays with the ADS Deepseeker 16054 and Groundhog 16055 series
Do you know by any chance if they would suit by changing the output plug?
For the moment thanks a lot for any help
Conan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308579.html#msg308579

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Garrett has none in stock. I'm on the phone right now as I type this (speakerphone) to Garrett tech support asking about the output. The batteries in mine are 1100mah so charging them at 10% means limiting the current to 100ma maximum. An LED is in mine and I will open it if they don't know the answer to my query.

OK. Off the phone now. Apparently there were two versions of charger. One went directly to the machine from the cigarette lighter and the other had some active components inside. What I will do is take mine apart and have a look inside. Or, to say it in Australian, I'll take a squizzy for ya mate. I'll get back to you with an answer after I do that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308583.html#msg308583

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 44.0
Firefox 44.0

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 05:27:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Standard Charge on Ni Cad is the C-1o rate. 1/1oth the Amp hour.   Why would they use 24 Volts ?   My XL-500 charging via head phone is around 100 Ma, 12 Volts.  Battery is 7 x1.2.

I know yous uses 3 x 9 volts..   My bet is they use steering diodes to charge them all as 9 volts.   two for detector and one for audio.  Having hard time finding the schematic.   Could also be 2 x or 18 volts and Zener for the single 9 volt.    24vdc would be good there.

Posted on: January 29, 2016, 04:29:25 pm
   AAAAAHaaaaa !   Found this on another   forum.   

Re: Help! Need a Charger for Sea Hunter XL 500 Pulse or Output Volts/amps

Thanks Homefires. Great to have the schematic!

I went to a local store "Batteries Plus" and them made me a battery pack with 7 sub c cells as the manufacturer configured. They only charged me $28.99!!! I soldered them in place and charged them up with the 9VDC charger and I am back in business. Took 24 hours to charge. When I turn the machine on though the battery check it performs at start up, the meter only goes up right between 8 and 9.

Where do your meter go to? I am thinking I might go back for another pack but make it the 8 cell like you did and get a charger from them to charge them instead of using the charging circuit in the machine.

I talked to the factory, they said that the charger that came with the unit was a 24vac but it had a diode in the connector that pulsed the power and brought the voltage down to 12vdc? Sounds to me like I should use a 12vdc charger instead of the Sanyo Cordless Telephone one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308589.html#msg308589

Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Firefox 43.0
Firefox 43.0

Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 11:14:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi once again this goes to you Golddigger
First I like to thank you for your time and effort but there is no need to take apart the black module it's solid anyway
That is if you have the original one like in the photo
Without complicating the subject since you have one but have not mention what unit you have PULSE or VLF?
And regardless of that if you have the original there is a part number is it 16079 ?
And if so to the questions above just measure the output now many volts and is it AC or DC ?
Like I said I have the original charger for the house and it's 110v AC input with clearly marked on the unit 24v AC output
Maybe it was designed that way AC that is so if accidentally someone try's to fit the plug the wrong way even for a split
second you would not damage the detector's electronics Witch makes sense
So maybe they have done the same on the house charger?
But once again if you have the part number 16079 you have all the answers
Thanks

Posted on: January 29, 2016, 10:03:46 pm
Hi to all Garrett Sea Hunter users for those watching that might have the VLF Series XS500 XL500
Since the coils are fixed one with a Co-Planer and the other with a Co-axial both 15khz
Maybe if you are interested in changing coils since there are lots of them for the Garrett Groundhogs
There is a seller in Hong Kong that has a pair of 5 Pin IP68 Rating Connectors for $10AU about $7US with free shipping
 (2pcs Waterproof Power Aviation Cable Connector Plug + Socket 5 Pin IP68) the link is as follows

Please Register or Login

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301822572942?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The photo shown by me it's the Co-axial coil with the connector set up
I have made with the long lead from coil witch is thick and well protected an extension lead with male and female connectors
So I can use the coils with the long shaft setup or the short shaft diving setup
And I will be setting up more coils from the 15Khz solid coils from Groundhogs with different sizes
Good Luck Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308592.html#msg308592

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Co-Axial.jpg

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:15:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

I need to make another call to tech support on Monday but here is what I can tell you. My machine uses 12v dc input, not 24v ac. Because of that, I suspect that there is a full wave bridge rectifier inside of your machine for the charging circuit. That would mean either ac or dc could go into it. I would suggest that you wait until I call back on Monday to verify that this is the case. If it is, that means you can simply plug in your cigarette lighter adapter and put either wire to either input and all will be fine. A 24v ac input will be divided into a 12v ac pulse train and rectified. A 12v dc input will go through the rectifier in the correct direction and be rectified.

Don't get impatient and try it out before I get an answer. If it were me, I'd open the case and look at the input circuitry and see if there is either a full wave bridge rectifier or 4 diodes at the input. But then, I am an engineer and not afraid of opening things up. If you DO open it up, be absolutely sure you have paper towels, alcohol and Vaseline (petroleum jelly) handy. The tiniest bit of sand on the gasket can cause a catastrophic leak at depth so you will want to clean the gasket and the mating surfaces quite thoroughly before reassembly.

There is a plastic seal that you can replace later with a zip tie. The seal (or zip tie) keep you from accidentally banging the closure and causing it to open. You can imagine that this could cause some serious problems.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308594.html#msg308594

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline NE555
Bronze Member

Thank you124

Activity
0%

Lithuania

1540.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Elite
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:55:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Conan, a schematic of XL500 clearly shows a charger stabilizer inside the housing. do not have a schematic on VLF XS500 to tell about.
i did open a charger  115 V AC US standart to re-make it on 220 V AC .... there is not something specific. transformer and one diode.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308596.html#msg308596

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:55:52 am by NE555 »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 42.0
Firefox 42.0

Awards

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 10:24:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by NE555
Conan, a schematic of XL500 clearly shows a charger stabilizer inside the housing. do not have a schematic on VLF XS500 to tell about.
i did open a charger  115 V AC US standart to re-make it on 220 V AC .... there is not something specific. transformer and one diode.

Please don't confuse the issue. ALL detectors have voltage "stabilizers" inside. That's not what he is asking about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308598.html#msg308598

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory
Firefox 43.0
Firefox 43.0

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 11:24:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Once again to Goldigger
From the beginning since you said you had a vehicle charger
I'm sorry to say I have not received the simple answers to my questions and that is
1-Since you have one but have not mention what unit you have PULSE or VLF?
2-And regardless of that if you have the original Garrett CAR charger there is a part number is it 16079 ?
Can you do a photo of the charger?
This answers with all the info I have on the Garrett catalogs will determine that Garrett part number 16079
Is used to charge from a vehicle for all the older Sea Hunters VLF and Pulse
Not complicating the subject but since there is a Pulse Circuit diagram it looks like it has Positive ground?
But getting back to the questions about what you have can you please just tell me that 1 and 2
Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,62471.msg308599.html#msg308599

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.