[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline starbossTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm a retired guy who decided to go back to Graduate School and is really in need of something that takes me out of Urbia, suburbia, and most definately academia from time-to-time.  So I bought me a Garrett Metal Detector and have been looking for relic and other treasure areas, doing my research over the winter.  I've read LOTS about El Malpais and have a big want to have some of you actual hunters (not writers who don't hunt like I've read in some posts) tell me some stuff about this magical mystery spanish-trail bandit hideaway called El Malpais.  Is there much truth to all of the reports, legends, and stories?  Would you take a minute or two some of you?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155422.html#msg155422

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:02:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Stay out of the National Monument if you want to hang onto your equipment......That in itself is going to seriously limit how much you can chase after the various reports and legends.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155428.html#msg155428

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:04:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

star
You do realize that most full time treasure hunters are also part time writers by dismissing them you are dismissing where 80% of the info here comes from.

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155429.html#msg155429

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:13:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okay, understood, but how about the authenticity of the reports and legends from a "found throughout the years" standpoint.  Just for historical interest.

Posted on: March 20, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
I didn't mean to dismiss anyone Seldom, (shoot! I'm getting off on a real bad start here) I just read a posting that disparaged a writer who told the hunter that he didn't really go out hunting he just wrote about it from the Americana angle and for the number of people looking to strike it rich and bought books for that purpose.  What I'm looking to hear is what is known about all of the claims, stories, legends, and such concerning El Malpais.  I figured I couldn't hunt there but was wondering if any of that alleged-stuff was ever found or verified.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155434.html#msg155434

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:30:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok.....the stories of Sam Bass and his gang hiding loot from one or more train robberies is real iffy.   The possiblity of outlaws hiding in the Malpais while on the lam is pretty good but most of them wouldn't have had much with them.   Relic wise there have been some interesting things come out.  Some of the airplane crash stories might be worth persuing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155441.html#msg155441

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:34:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What Legends and Stories have u heard about the El Malpais ??

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Malpais_National_Monument

Never heard of this place until this thread so I am Just Curious as to what the legends are about.

I am guessing something to do with Gold ? ?

Posted on: March 20, 2011, 09:32:07 PM
BA U answered right before i posted my question - u must have been reading my mind Cheesy  Cheesy Cheesy

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Ok.....the stories of Sam Bass and his gang hiding loot from one or more train robberies is real iffy.   The possiblity of outlaws hiding in the Malpais while on the lam is pretty good but most of them wouldn't have had much with them.   Relic wise there have been some interesting things come out.  Some of the airplane crash stories might be worth persuing.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155444.html#msg155444

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 09:37:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by starboss
Okay, understood, but how about the authenticity of the reports and legends from a "found throughout the years" standpoint.  Just for historical interest.

Posted on: March 20, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
I didn't mean to dismiss anyone Seldom, (shoot! I'm getting off on a real bad start here) I just read a posting that disparaged a writer who told the hunter that he didn't really go out hunting he just wrote about it from the Americana angle and for the number of people looking to strike it rich and bought books for that purpose.  What I'm looking to hear is what is known about all of the claims, stories, legends, and such concerning El Malpais.  I figured I couldn't hunt there but was wondering if any of that alleged-stuff was ever found or verified.

And that is what you would have gotten till you dismissed the ones who could have help the most. Many of us have 30 or 40 years in the field and share more then most folks will ever learn. Unless its an ongoing project we have few secrets that we have not shared but you don't want to hear from a guy thats writes a few stories even though he has made his living treasure hunting for 40 years so be it I will keep the info to myself.

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155451.html#msg155451

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:52:08 pm by seldom »

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Whoa, Seldom, I APOLOGIZE.  I didn't ever mean to alienate anyone, especially experts and the professionals!  My wife is a writer, check her out, Dorothy Allred Solomon, so I understand with the best of them the importance of expertise and knowledge!  Please read my last post again and see if you can see that I was NOT dismissing the serious hunter/writer, I was throwing, stupidly, a slur at those who prey on wannabees like me who have an urge to find something important like a relic, a meteor, or coin.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155462.html#msg155462

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:11:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

more often silver than gold and among the legends is one that an airplane carrying a large amount of folding money for the Alf Landon Presidential campaign.   The pilot survived but supposedly the plane and the money are missing.

Some people also put the location of the Lost Adams diggings in or very near the Malpais (it's somewhere south, southwest or west southwest of the Malpais).  

Various Southwestern outlaws including Bronco Bill, Black Jack and Sam Ketchum and several others---mostly small time rustlers and would be bandits have been associated with the Malpais.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155464.html#msg155464

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all of your responses and chatting with me.  This was my first venture and I don't think I made much of a good impression because of my clumsiness.  You have great with your responses and I will certainly go down to El Malpais if only to look out over the expanse of such wonderous reports.  Thanks again, hope we can chat again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22213.msg155466.html#msg155466

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: