[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 10:56:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

You know, I wouldn't read too much into the US Consul's statement "Many Germanic names appear".   German-Americans during WWI were viewed with a lot of the same type of prejudice and suspicion that Japanese Americans were viewed with during WWII.  (admittedly, a lot of German-Americans wanted the US to either stay out of WWI altogether or to go in on the side of Germany, but the same thing can also be said about many Irish-Americans, and once the US declared War on Germany, many German Americans volunteered).   The establishment/majority questions about German loyalty are nearly led to Eddie Rickenbacker changing his name from Rickenbacher AND almost kept him confined to a rear-echelon role as a chauffeur.   It was the blood and guts of men like Rickenbacker that made it possible for men with Germanic names like Eisenhower and Nimitz to wear 5 stars on their collars during WWII.

Could there have been one (or even a few) German sympathizers turned saboteur on board?  Certainly.   Could the ship's crew have mutinied?  Again a distinct possibility given the circumstances.   Would the ship's crew have mutinied with the intention of turning the ship over to the Germans?   I think that is highly unlikely since the majority of the crewman with "Germanic" sounding names were probably like the majority of the American soldiers in the trenches with "Germanic" sounding names.

I think design flaws (including the possibility of inferior materials) and/or sabotage by at most a very small handful of men are the more likely causes.

BA

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg78240.html#msg78240

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 02:32:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm leaning towards structural failure due to overloading and storm influence at this point as well Ivan. My best "guess" is this.

Throwing out all the clandestine stuff which is all circumstantial, I am going on the belief the ship was overloaded, tried to turn back but was stopped. (need the name of the Brit patrol)

When that failed Worley tried to make his port but ran into a storm and went down perhaps off the coast of the Carolinas. Possibly found by Dean Hawes USN in 68

No debri was found because the storm was pushing out to sea, data from popular science 1929. If she had blown up more debri should have been left but if she was in a storm with everything battened down and was swamped very little might have escaped. If she stayed mostly together and sank like a stone.

Below are a couple of news paper clippings from the third officer of the Amolco. Apparently his testimony may have been misworded later to say the Amolco sighted Cyclops. Still looking at that. The comment by Worley's wife is interesting. Wonder where she went after 1918? Ok just a tiny bit of clandestine cause its fun!

Please Register or Login

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn201/Imaginos_art/?action=view&current=Riley.jpg

BA in the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon they have a Spad. Can't remember if it's just the same model or actually one of Rickenbacher's but a nice display set up. So tiny compared to the Tomcat they had next to it. Those guys were really something. If you ever get a chance to go it's set up in a dirigible hanger made of wood, the largest freestanding I believe as it could hold 7 dirigibles! Sorry for the sideline just had to throw that in.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12001.msg78274.html#msg78274

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5    Go Up
Jump to: