[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 10:25:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

B.A. and G.D.This topic has been beat around pretty badly but I don't think we have the answer yet. As far as a wick type oiler. Why would it have a partial hole through it? Wouldn't it have no hole or a hole all the way through?  As for a Candle stick or Menorah part. I think the lower thread is too robust and the Hex base doesn't fit for an ornamental. Early machine parts were often semi-ornamental, that is they were made with patterns that were somewhat pleasing to the eye. Think of the legs of a singer sewing machine. This one is still a mystery to me. It could be an oiler and there were hundreds of designs, I have a forge blower circa 1896 that has 2 wick type oil cups but I don't think this is one.   Teach

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg225368.html#msg225368

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 06:53:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
B.A. and G.D.This topic has been beat around pretty badly but I don't think we have the answer yet. As far as a wick type oiler. Why would it have a partial hole through it? Wouldn't it have no hole or a hole all the way through?

The wick goes UP, not DOWN and the oil goes UP the wick, not draining DOWN. Why does that seem so hard to grasp? Oil lamps do that all the time. Tiki torches do it in your back yard. The oil is put into the cup and the wick comes DOWN from the bearing block to the oil reservoir. That's the way it was done 200+ years ago. This is not a pressure fed oiler needing a hole through the bottom of it.

In the fall (September or so) I will be visiting my friend at his old mill and get some photos of square (not round) oil cups with wicks to oil wooden bearings (yes, I said WOODEN bearings) that allow wooden wheels to turn which are driven by belts.

A single source turns dozens of belts. When it was first built, a mill wheel turned the entire mechanism. Sometime in the late 1800s, a steam engine replaced the water wheel so that when the stream wasn't moving enough, the owner could still work in the mill.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg225394.html#msg225394

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:56:48 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377Topic starter
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 07:51:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'll admit that it's NOT 100% certain--especially since I no longer have the object and therefore can't see if the piece actually has a screw top similar to the one in DSCF1084.jpg.     I do know that of all the objects I've seen on the net and in books since posting the original photos the one that comes the closest is ax23c.jpg.    In fact it looked like an exact match to both me and the owner of the object when we each held the object in our hand and compared it to the picture.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg225456.html#msg225456

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSCF1084.jpg
ax23c.jpg

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G.D. I understand wick. B.A. ax23c.jpg.  could very easily be it if the hole through it was blocked with something and it had threads or the cover was held on by some other method.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226210.html#msg226210

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
G.D. I understand wick.

You're not the only one in this discussion so I stressed the function of the wick to those who did NOT understand rather than to those who DID understand. I'm sorry if you got in the way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226227.html#msg226227

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 08:45:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

That is fine G.D. I had never seen a wick type oiler until you posted the picture. Thanks for expanding my knowledge...In 1963 I worked in a fastener factory in Rockford Il.  they made nuts and bolts, Mostly carriage bolts. Some of the equipment dated from the 1800s and 1900s. These were line shaft driven. As the junior man, part of my job was to oil the  journals on the line shafts, motor bearings, fans,  etc. I had to climb up on a step ladder every day during the lunch hour with an oil can. If you over oiled you would get covered with oil for the rest of the day and the machine operators would complain about the sling off no their machines.  I learned how to put just enough oil in the cups to make it to the next day without them going dry.  The foreman kept an eye on the journals and if any of them smoked he would shut the line down while I got up on the ladder again. I worked through the summer at that job. In the Fall went back to school.  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226235.html#msg226235

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 07:25:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gambol, it's a dying method of delivering oil into pillowblocks. These at the mill I am familiar with are so soaked with oil that they resemble plastic and not wood. But lo and behold, they work like a champ even though some of the bearings are over 100 years old.

I'm getting hungry now thinking about the place. It's a cider mill that still uses the original press which is around 240 years old but also have modern presses to increase their production. I love going there. They've added apple and cinnamon rolls to their sales floor and when you walk in, the aroma nearly knocks you to the floor.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226347.html#msg226347

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Weekender
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think it's already been said, but I'm pretty sure that it is the end of a candle snuffer.  Was it found near a church or a fancy house that would have had such things?  The heavier ones were generally for snuffing oil lamps.
The hole in the threaded end is likely there to dissipate heat into the tube of the snuffer.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226366.html#msg226366

Offline BitburgAggie_7377Topic starter
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry, Weekender, it is definitely not a candle snuffer.   The part that would have snuffed the candle is way too shallow and it isn't at all like any known candle snuffer I've ever come across or seen pictures of.    Having handled it and compared it to several images of all the suggested items, both the owner and I are content with either oil cup or grease cup---at least until someone can come up with something that fits better.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226372.html#msg226372

Offline Weekender
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 11:33:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Please don't take my post as argumentative, but If it isn't deep enough for a snuffer, I don't think oil or grease cup works either.  Is there any context for the find - commercial, industrial, residential or agricultural?  It could be the fixed side of some sort of steam pop off valve (the shank looks too long for it to be the weight side).  Brass usually indicates hydraulic, lubrication, or ornamental applications so I see where you are going with the oil/grease thing but I can't picture the opposite side of it in that application (how would it attach?) or the need for the threaded stem (why not just a cap?).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36364.msg226379.html#msg226379

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: