[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 12:54:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I used to hip mount my Piranha and it was an easy job also. If you like it, that is what counts. I used mine in salt water with some wave action and it was horrible. Try a spider coil on anything in the water and you will see it is much easier to move. I have at present 7 detectors, yep, different ones for different hunts.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg196820.html#msg196820

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi JC,

Long time mate, hope you've been well!

Hey, how are the minelab sov GT's?
I see you use them and hopefully you could give me a rundown advice for one.

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
I used to hip mount my Piranha and it was an easy job also. If you like it, that is what counts. I used mine in salt water with some wave action and it was horrible. Try a spider coil on anything in the water and you will see it is much easier to move. I have at present 7 detectors, yep, different ones for different hunts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg197357.html#msg197357

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 05:05:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Jim, been well thanks. I use a GT Sovereign on the beaches here in CT. It works very well. I hip mount it and use a Sunray D2 meter or the Minelab 180 meter on it. The meter really helps to ID most items before you dig, and I do not dig everything all the time, as there is too much trash on most the beaches. The tones are also a nice clue on these machines, as when you hit gold, most of the time, it is a nice smooth sound. Most dimes are a very high tone and pennys can vary from very high to just in the quarter range which often are just a little  lower. Nickels give a lower tone which sound like rings so you have to dig those tones all the time. I use a Sunray 12" coil or the stock 10" coil most the time. When on a trashy beach, I use the older 8" white Coinsearch coil which you can slide across the sand with no false readings. I can usually get a quarter at 9-10" with no trouble on most beaches here with the larger coils, but there are always a few areas with too much mineralization which will cut the depth to about 7". I like the fact that you can use iron mask and when you usually hear the threshold sound drop out you know you are over deep iron. Upper iron still will often give you a tone and reading, but it will be easy to ID in time with a little use. The Explorers give more depth by about 2" but they are killer to the arms and being 68, I get tired of heavy machines in about 2 hours. I can use the hipmounted GT for hours with no real fatigue except from digging. Probably the best all around machine you can use, that you can buy used for about $600, sometimes less. They always sell easily and even after a couple years you can get your money back on one. I bought the newer 10x12" coil and have been using that lately on the beaches. Real light and works nice, pinpointing is a little hard on most larger minelab coils but with practice you can usually narrow it down to a few inch area. I also have the 12x15" and the 15x18" coils, but I really haven't put enough time on those to comment on them yet. Except I tried the 15x18" on the beach and noticed my arm was feeling it in about 1/2 hour. Hope this helps. Thanks and good huntin, John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg197361.html#msg197361

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey great to read your reply John!

Many thanks for that advice and semi review of how you hunt the beaches in Conn. One day I hope to get some more in depth info from you on beach hunting and the minelab detectors. Please feel free to email me anytime as well, really would be fine to chat with you at length.

Cheers,  Great
Jim in upstate NY

Quote:Posted by JCPinCt
Hi Jim, been well thanks. I use a GT Sovereign on the beaches here in CT. It works very well. I hip mount it and use a Sunray D2 meter or the Minelab 180 meter on it. The meter really helps to ID most items before you dig, and I do not dig everything all the time, as there is too much trash on most the beaches. The tones are also a nice clue on these machines, as when you hit gold, most of the time, it is a nice smooth sound. Most dimes are a very high tone and pennys can vary from very high to just in the quarter range which often are just a little  lower. Nickels give a lower tone which sound like rings so you have to dig those tones all the time. I use a Sunray 12" coil or the stock 10" coil most the time. When on a trashy beach, I use the older 8" white Coinsearch coil which you can slide across the sand with no false readings. I can usually get a quarter at 9-10" with no trouble on most beaches here with the larger coils, but there are always a few areas with too much mineralization which will cut the depth to about 7". I like the fact that you can use iron mask and when you usually hear the threshold sound drop out you know you are over deep iron. Upper iron still will often give you a tone and reading, but it will be easy to ID in time with a little use. The Explorers give more depth by about 2" but they are killer to the arms and being 68, I get tired of heavy machines in about 2 hours. I can use the hipmounted GT for hours with no real fatigue except from digging. Probably the best all around machine you can use, that you can buy used for about $600, sometimes less. They always sell easily and even after a couple years you can get your money back on one. I bought the newer 10x12" coil and have been using that lately on the beaches. Real light and works nice, pinpointing is a little hard on most larger minelab coils but with practice you can usually narrow it down to a few inch area. I also have the 12x15" and the 15x18" coils, but I really haven't put enough time on those to comment on them yet. Except I tried the 15x18" on the beach and noticed my arm was feeling it in about 1/2 hour. Hope this helps. Thanks and good huntin, John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg197378.html#msg197378

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 12:23:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great info on this topic you guys!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg219776.html#msg219776

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well just a little update, I started using my Sov. GT in the water with my box hipmounted. It isn't more than 6"-1' waves, so I don't much worry about dunking it, unless I fall over in a hole or something. I walk in the water in hip boots so I don't go more than 3 feet deep and I only hunt at low tides. I am using a white painted 8" Sov. coil lately. I was having trouble seperating the older coins from old iron and junk in the water with the 12.5" Sunray coil on my waterproofed Sov. XS. My older waterproofed Soverign XS is still working fine, as I had changed the large capacitors in it and it settled down to a more steady tone, but I have waterproof connectors on it and I have to order more if I want to use the 8" coil on it. I was using the 12.5" Sunray and changing to the old horseshoe 7" coil at times. I like the 8" Sovereign coil better than the 7" horseshoe as it is lighter and it seems a little sharper on the tones. I really find very little difference from the old Sov. XS box and the GT box, except the batterys, and that the GT returns to threshold a little faster, which is nicer to deal with. I might get another used GT and waterproof it also. Good huntin, John.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg219792.html#msg219792

Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 10:41:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

post a picture of your setup, I'm sure we would all like to see it.

J.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg220731.html#msg220731

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 11:06:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here is a couple pictures showing the Sov., after I took it apart and put it in the waterproof box. the headphones and coil connect to the 2 black connectors. I wear the yellow box in a pouch with a belt, on my hip. I have since added a digital volt meter between the 2 black plugs. Of course over the board I have plastic and the battery sits on top of the plastic. I use the older plug in batterys and made a couple of them up. I can fit a spare one in the box also.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg222327.html#msg222327

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMAG0012.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:13:56 am by JCPinCt »
Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Very nice work and I like your Bulkhead fittings.

j.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg223230.html#msg223230

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 10:48:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey John,

It's been awhile & I see this thread is till hot!

It's summer almost & so beach hunting time is here, and while I've been gone for a few months from the forum I have been busy.  
 Great

I got myself a few new detectors added, a nice Sovereign XS with Sunpro meter set for 180 I think, and it has the 8" coinsearch coil. I just missed picking up a 10" slim DD spider coil lastnight, but will have to wait for another to pop up.  I also got a really nice Fisher 1280X Aquanaut which actually seems to work fine in the wet and surf of the NC Ocean without the usual pesky falseing.  I also picked up a fabulous Fisher CZ70 pro & she is one of the best units I ever had...sold a few off while finding these to have funds to work with.

I'd love to see the design and parts list needed to water proof your Sov XS...

Cheers,  Smiley
Jim

(Posted by: JCPinCt)  
Here is a couple pictures showing the Sov., after I took it apart and put it in the waterproof box. the headphones and coil connect to the 2 black connectors. I wear the yellow box in a pouch with a belt, on my hip. I have since added a digital volt meter between the 2 black plugs. Of course over the board I have plastic and the battery sits on top of the plastic. I use the older plug in batterys and made a couple of them up. I can fit a spare one in the box also.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26045.msg224267.html#msg224267

Best Regards,
Jim

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: