[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline krampitsTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Xavier.

Thank you so much for your replies. Well, my problem is like this. There is a lot of activity like farming in the area, we are at a mountain foothills, (which means that we had many activities like slidings, torrents etc), so i thing that what ever i'm looking for, it has to be pretty deep down and the soil is rocky, (i would say about 30% small rocks, 30% gravel and 40% soil). That is why i need a machine that goes deep and have nice discrimination. I wouldn't like to dig 1 or 2m to find an old can. OK, i do understand that there is no such machine as a gold detector, but if i would expect something like 70% accuracy from a Vlf machine, i would be optimistic ?

And something else. You say i could build a machine. Is that difficult? Τhere are complete footprints for machines like these? There are any DIY kits? I don't really know if it is better for someone to build or to buy a machine, as i have never done something like this before.

Thank you for your advices
Krampits

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg224906.html#msg224906

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 07:37:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

i meant blueprints !!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg224953.html#msg224953

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't know of any VLF that will detect at 2m. There are a few detectors that you can get in a kit and there are others that you can buy that have been assembled but you will still have to place it on a shaft and make your own coil. I sell a detector that comes with the coil but I do not have the time to build any now and probably not for the next three months not to mention that I only build PI detectors and there is no discrimination (Not yet any way). The other question that you will need to answer is, is the soil highly mineralised or not? Ho and by the way I doubt it that you'd find a beer can at two meters.

All the best Xavier       

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg224973.html#msg224973

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 04:13:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Xavier.

I don't really know the soil mineralization, as i haven't done any tests. I suppose that the percentage should be around 7-8%, maybe less. I don't know if this is considered as highly mineralised or not. When i said that i wouldn't like to dig 1 or 2m for a can, i meant for a mineralised rock actually. So i 'm sorry for misleading you. What i think i have understood about the depth is that the bigger the target is, the deeper the machine can detect it. Is that so or i'm, once more, wrong ? But if i'm correct and considering that my dream target is something like a pack of cigarettes or even bigger, then i think that 2m is not that deep. Am i wrong ?

Unfortunately, i need a machine with good discrimination performance. So if the vlf technology performs better in this area, i would prefer a vlf machine, even with the disadvantage of the depth performance.

As a conclusion, my questions still stands. I need a vlf machine which performs well in discrimination, ('ve mentioned the accuracy but i don't know if i was optimistic), and in depth, considering the size of my targets. Maybe i must use a really big coil, but that is acceptable by me.

Thank you once more.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg224998.html#msg224998

Offline Lord Dracon
Bronze Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

1200.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Dario MD-3006SS VLF / SURF 1.2 PI (WIP) / Garrett Ace 300i
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, just want to put my 2 penneth in, and offer some advice from what i have found out (correct me if i'm wrong  Teach)

I'm fairly new to this, but from what i have read PI detectors do go deeper, but if its gold your looking for they need to be well tuned to pick up gold as the feedback from the decay signal is very small as gold is such a good conductor.  a 10" PI coil can easily pick up a tin can at 70cm but a gold coin/chain at at 26cm at a push as the signal gets weaker due to amount of current/magnetic field induced in the gold object is much smaller due to its highly conductive properties and its resistance to producing eddy currents.. if your looking for nuggets about the size of a cigarette packet the range of depth perception would be increased slightly due to the size and mass of the object .. bigger coils go deeper but tend to overlook smaller items ...  however you'll be digging up every item as the PI detectors do not discriminate.

VLF detectors don't have quite the depth of a PI but do give a better reading as to whether the item is ferrous or non-ferrous. I have a cheap VLF detector, with an 8" coil, and only get about 8-10 inches depth detection on iron and i find a lot of pull-tabs and tin cans too (i'm still to find coins, rings and stuff.. but i'm not that lucky.. yet). However, at least i get an idea of what i might be digging up before i get it out of the ground. but i do need to keep tuning it due to changes in mineralisation in the ground.

Personally i would build my own unit (PI, which i'm still planning on doing  Idea - yes i've almost saved enough to start my project   Smiley SmileySmiley) and custom coil (or go to a shop and air test several models with a gold sample i.e. a large gold ring/bracelet ) and air test to a range that you are happy with  Detecting then go out and dig everything.. as they say, you only get out what you put in .. and sometimes that takes a bit of effort .. yup i know it sucks  Thumbs Down.. but life isn't always meant to be easy or we'd all be Rich  Cool

GL with what you decide .. hope you find what your looking for

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg225002.html#msg225002

Keep searching ... you might just find it.

Happy Hunting Detecting

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Plenty of Proven PI detectors find Gold.

Minelab noted as one of the best.

The Trick with the PI is to sample as fast as you can.

Anything less then 12us is too late for small gold Items.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg225006.html#msg225006

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 05:45:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you Lord Dragon and homefire.

So, I was wrong about the discrimination capability of PI machines homefire? Cause if that is the case, then i would give a shot on a PI machine. By the way, when you say 12us what do you mean?? And last, when you say they find gold, what accuracy, (approximately), are you talking for ?

Thanks guys. Really thanks...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg225008.html#msg225008

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Guy's lets get one thing strait. If you want depth you will need a large coil BUT you will not be able to find small objects and if you want to find small objects you will need a small coil (Fact of life and physics) and you will not have the depth, SO in my opinion a coil of 280mm is about the optimum coil size that you can have as you will still be able to find small objects and you also have quite a bit of depth. Now remember that you can't just use any coil on a detector and hope that it will work like GD has said 1000 times on this forum you do not build a detector and then the coil you build the coil then the detector round the coil, and to do that you need to have a lot of experience in building metal detectors and understanding of all the parameters (especially coils) around it. Gold is a noble metal and is very bad at producing eddy currents and yes you then need a high frequency (VLF) or pulse rate (PI) in order to be able to detect it ( this creates another problem) . Another thing to remember when you have depth you have to wait longer for those eddy currents to get to your coil and that is not to good for gold detecting so how do you get around that well you send a larger pulls of current (increasing time) and you still wont find a gold coin at 1m (in a manner of speech)

I trust that I have given you the right information, not in any details but enough to get you started understanding the complexity of a metal detector (regarded as one of the most complex subjects in electronics)  not to scare you but rather to get you to better appreciate the work that has gone behind the making of one of these wonder full machines and perhaps one day you will be one of it's creators.

All the best
Xavier)           

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg225062.html#msg225062

Xavier

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2012, 06:38:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The problem Xavier is that i don't want to built a machine. At least for now as i don't have any experience, not only in building machines but in metal detecting also. So i was just hoping for you guys to propose a machine for me. Now that you know the goals i'm trying to reach, (i think), which machine comes to your mind that you think it would suits me best ? I could go out there and buy a machine, but i thought it would be best for me to get an opinion first from guys that know the sport, if you know what i mean  Wink As to this point, i've learned some things, but i don't have a machine to practice what i've learned, and most of all, i'm more confused than ever on choosing a machine.  Sad

Thank you in advance...

Posted on: June 08, 2012, 06:29:03 PM
Does anybody know the White's Spectra V3i ??
Does anybody own one yo share with me his experience ?

Thank you in advance...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg225091.html#msg225091

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2012, 03:30:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

With the depth that you want you only have the PI machine as an option.

Check this out here are some great deals.

Please Register or Login

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/?gclid=COjmgeTbwLACFUdlfAod_xkuYA

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36479.msg225108.html#msg225108

Xavier

Print