[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, you're definitely selling your diamonds the wrong way. I always have good luck selling on eBay or in a sale on Gumtree (Australia's Craig's List). Scrap gold dealers and jewelers are spoiled for choice. Gold buyers can't be bothered with them. Jewelers prefer modern cuts and faceting. Such is life.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119419.html#msg119419

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Cyberborikua
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 06:18:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well on a funny note, most of the replies indicate that not all that sparkles on sand are diamonds. But keep trying who knows if you find those big diamonds on a lost wedding ring. I wish you the best and don't forget to show them to us!  Waveing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119428.html#msg119428

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 07:25:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Come on, mate. If they were not diamond bits your question is moot. His answer has everything to do with your question.

Kindly note that my question began with "if those shiny pieces with perfect cleavage are indeed micro diamonds...". Steve's answer was therefore irrelevant to that question, as is yours.

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
Well on a funny note, most of the replies indicate that not all that sparkles on sand are diamonds. But keep trying who knows if you find those big diamonds on a lost wedding ring. I wish you the best and don't forget to show them to us!  Waveing

Yes Cyberborikua it is kinda funny because I wasn't asking if those sparkly pieces are or aren't diamonds. Glad you noticed that! I'm well aware that not all that sparkles is a diamond, and there are several other minerals that do have perfect cleavage. Let me rephrase my question for better clarity:

Does the presence of micro diamonds indicate the possibility of larger diamonds being present in the same area?

Posted on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:03 PM
Xavier, I live next door to Kalimantan (meaning 'river of diamonds') and the miners I seen there NEVER use the crush test. Golddigger is right; a streak plate test is better. I wish those tiny particles were larger so's I could rub them on a plate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119439.html#msg119439

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist, it doesn't matter how your question began. ANY answer is relevant. See how that works? This is a PUBLIC forum, not your private playground. Get over it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119441.html#msg119441

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist, it doesn't matter how your question began. ANY answer is relevant. See how that works? This is a PUBLIC forum, not your private playground. Get over it.

As the nature of legitimate inquiries does not matter to you, and since you think ANY answer is relevant, it's time for you to re-think your position as a moderator.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119445.html#msg119445

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 08:53:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
As the nature of legitimate inquiries does not matter to you, and since you think ANY answer is relevant, it's time for you to re-think your position as a moderator.

It's not up to you. Take it up with the other moderators. Any answer in a public forum is relevant to any discussion here as long as the moderators say so. Look at it this way, we could all be laughing at you for presuming that tiny bits of diamonds have facets. But we're all holding back. His answer was very relevant. They probably were not diamonds. You'd rather pick at nits than accept the right answer. That's your style.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119447.html#msg119447

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 09:05:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My guess is you got so worked up by the "irrelevant" answers and the "proper" role of a moderator (who happen to also be members entitled to participate as members) that you neglected to notice that Seldom has provided a "relevant" answer (see reply 4)---either that or he didn't give you the answer that you want to hear since you have chosen to focus on everything else without even acknowledging his response.

(I don't claim to know if he is right or wrong, but there is a definite logic to his thinking......and couple that with the fact that precious stones behave the same way as gold, i.e. the bigger, heavier pieces are going to settle out before the smaller lighter pieces, unless there were a lot of other indicators I'd be looking upstream or at least up current IF those were actually diamonds)

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119449.html#msg119449

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 09:14:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They are not diamonds forgetaboutit.

I have noticed that every time you do not get the answers you want you become combative with members or moderators, if you do not like the answers don't ask the question.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119451.html#msg119451

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 09:24:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's not up to you. Take it up with the other moderators. Any answer in a public forum is relevant to any discussion here as long as the moderators say so. Look at it this way, we could all be laughing at you for presuming that tiny bits of diamonds have facets. But we're all holding back. His answer was very relevant. They probably were not diamonds. You'd rather pick at nits than accept the right answer. That's your style.

I have always had my reservations that the sparkly bits are indeed not diamonds, hence the "if" in my question. Somehow you refuse to see that, and you also failed to see the crux of my question. Your constant dogmatism is your blind spot.

The 'insert quote" function still doesn't work, anyways BittburgAggie, your guess is partially right. I'm multitasking on a few things right now and Seldom's reply (which I did see), was not acknowledged. I make amends now and thank Seldom for his input. It was the only reply which addressed my inquiry spot-on. And I do think he's right and logical. After reading it, I was checking tide charts (this site is by the sea) and phoning my boatman, and should I endeavor to explore the area further for more sparkly stuff, it will have to be done at the lowest tide.

Posted on: October 08, 2010, 10:17:07 PM
Quote:Posted by seldom
They are not diamonds forgetaboutit.

I have noticed that every time you do not get the answers you want you become combative with members or moderators, if you do not like the answers don't ask the question.

I'm sorry you feel that way Seldom. When I ask a question, I have no pre-set answers in mind. However I would appreciate answers which do actually pertain to my questions, and when others keep on failing to see what I'm really asking despite my clarification, I sometimes wonder if they're doing it on purpose. Once again, thanks for being the only one so far to give me useful input.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119454.html#msg119454

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 09:27:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you.   And by the way, even if the thread evolved in an unforseen manner, I believe there was a great deal of useful information that was shared relevant to the greater topic of hunting diamonds (especially since being able to know whether you've actually found what you are looking for IS releveant to any search).  That information probably would not have been shared otherwise.
If you do persue an upcurrent/upstream search, I'd be interested in hearing the results.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg119455.html#msg119455

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.