[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 11:42:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
Sigh. You asked me if I wanted an answer to that, and I gave you a straightforward positive answer: yes I do. How can that be construed as insisting on an argument? I'd rather you continue on this matter even though you claim to be not as nice as GD. But if you wish to play tag-team answer to Hobbyist and let GD do it, that's fine also. I have no quarrel with you.

Seldom is right. I am nicer than he is. He would have given you a warning by now. Your post was removed because it was a personal attack, not any kind of discussion of a point. You're lucky I didn't formally warn you. Instead, I quietly removed it. If I had, the next step is that you can only post if a moderator approves your post. Then, after that, it's a total ban.

Look, Hobbyist, I am being very tolerant here. The question you originally asked was incorrectly phrased and it generated answers you didn't like. It took 22 posts by your own reckoning for you to fix it and now, because you have, you insist that you were right all along. Nobody cares. It's all fixed now. It's all right. Calm down and get back to being a MEMBER here, not a bully or an antagonist here. That's what is getting you into strife. Not whether or not you are correct or incorrect. It's your antagonistic manner and your bullying. JOIN in. Don't fight with the moderators. There is absolutely no future in that for you. Trust me on that one.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120375.html#msg120375

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hobbyist

Here is an old fashioned way to recognize diamonds.

Diamonds mostly occur in octahedral prismatic crystals, with convex planes. In rough state they can have an oily appearance.

How to test: Only a diamond will scratch a diamond. Diamonds have a specific gravity of 3.52 and will float in Clericis solution. Which has been adjusted with distilled water to a specific gravity of 3.6

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120389.html#msg120389

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 01:46:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All     I think you may be able to buy a daimond tester for a few hundred $

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120398.html#msg120398

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 02:03:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldnboy
Hi All     I think you may be able to buy a daimond tester for a few hundred $

They're quite reasonable in cost, actually. They measure the temperature of light being transmitted from an LED to a sensor and are very accurate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120401.html#msg120401

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 03:21:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like the way to go GD  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120415.html#msg120415

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 07:09:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
And among the things which MODERATOR(s) do in this forum are the locking of legitimate inquiries, badgering and harassing (remember the watermarking issue?) and now it seems I can add removal of posts which are not to their liking. Upon scrolling back to find my rephrased question, I find a post of mine mysteriously missing. What next, I wonder?

OK you want an answer First if threads are lock its because they have got out of hand. #2 No one has deleted any threads. #3 You have tried to start an argument with  GD and others when they do not agree with you  go back and look at the water mark thread along with several others. #3 If you contently with this it will not end well.

Here is the answer to the question

Alluvial diamond deposits are found on the Atlantic coast of South Africa and Namibia, as well
as in some riverbeds in Angola, Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African
Republic, Cote d?Ivoire, Guinea, Ghana, Liberia, Tanzania, Togo, Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana
and South Africa.

You have not found diamonds just corundum. I got 32 miles of beach in my front yard you can have all the corundum  you want.

Seldom, I'm afraid I will have to contend with your statements, even if it does not end well.
1) My Tesoro Sand Shark thread was far from out of hand. It was locked on the whim of a moderator, and duly unlocked by Christian when he saw the injustice and abuse of power happening. Since it had been unlocked, I let the issue slide.
2) Kindly refer to reply #50. Golddigger to his credit has honestly stated that a post of mine had indeed been deleted.
3) With regards to the watermarking thread, IMO the instigation came not from my part. It directly came from a moderator who did not agree with the issue. As I recall, you were also not in agreement with an additional watermark but at least you had the decency not to badger me in 2 threads on the matter, unlike the other moderator.

Thank you for the info on locations of alluvial diamond mines. You may wish to add to the list of locations Borneo island, as alluvial diamond mines exploited by artisanal miners do exist here. If the substance you think I've found is corundum, so be it. As I am still totally unsure of the exact nature of the minerals, I shall be looking into the cost of a professional analysis. Should it be affordable, I'll have it done to satisfy my own curiosity.

Posted on: October 14, 2010, 06:51:39 AM
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Seldom is right. I am nicer than he is. He would have given you a warning by now. Your post was removed because it was a personal attack, not any kind of discussion of a point. You're lucky I didn't formally warn you. Instead, I quietly removed it. If I had, the next step is that you can only post if a moderator approves your post. Then, after that, it's a total ban.

Look, Hobbyist, I am being very tolerant here. The question you originally asked was incorrectly phrased and it generated answers you didn't like. It took 22 posts by your own reckoning for you to fix it and now, because you have, you insist that you were right all along. Nobody cares. It's all fixed now. It's all right. Calm down and get back to being a MEMBER here, not a bully or an antagonist here. That's what is getting you into strife. Not whether or not you are correct or incorrect. It's your antagonistic manner and your bullying. JOIN in. Don't fight with the moderators. There is absolutely no future in that for you. Trust me on that one.

It was never my intent to bully nor antagonize; there's no benefit in that when all I was looking for was a relevant answer to a question. And some answers of varying relevance I have now received. What you term as a "fight", I tend to see as an effort to clarify, expound upon and defend a stance. Granted, there sometimes can be more than one way of looking at a certain issue, and this indirect form of communication will at times fall victim to misinterpretation from one or both sides.

You see me as a bully and an antagonist. Unfortunately I see those 2 traits in you as well as a few more other things, of which not all are in the negative. You are experienced, knowledgeable, obviously learned in many disciplines and are an asset to the website. However that does not give you the license to harass others and mock newcomers for "a bit of fun". I'm glad to say I have not seen much of that recently. May that change be a permanent one.

When the need does arise, I shall not hesitate to voice out where necessary in the most un-bullying, un-antagonistic, un-trollish manner I can, be it directed toward moderator or member. If you interpret it as an act of "fighting", that is your prerogative. Mind you, do not have the impression that I am targeting each and every moderator, because I'm not. Now if all of this does not sit well with you, skip the warning and head directly to banning me. If this does sit well with you, I thank you for your tolerance.

Quote:Posted by hardluck
Hello Hobbyist

Here is an old fashioned way to recognize diamonds.

Diamonds mostly occur in octahedral prismatic crystals, with convex planes. In rough state they can have an oily appearance.

How to test: Only a diamond will scratch a diamond. Diamonds have a specific gravity of 3.52 and will float in Clericis solution. Which has been adjusted with distilled water to a specific gravity of 3.6

Hardluck

Thank you Hardluck. I have 2 books on gemstones which also gave similar methods of identification. I really wish I could find that one particle again in the pile of sand I brought back. It did seem bumpy-oily on one side and had a clean straight cleave on the top side. It's still in the pile somewhere, but my eyes are blur from straining thru the loupe. I doubt I can easily obtain Clereci solution, but will make an effort to find some.
Quote:Posted by goldnboy
Hi All     I think you may be able to buy a daimond tester for a few hundred $

Yes Goldnboy, diamond testers are affordable, and some advanced units can even test for mossanite (a diamond lookalike). Unfortunately such testers will be unlikely to work on the minute particles I have. This stuff is too tiny and fine for the tester probe-point to make sufficient contact. If you saw the photo in post #1, it was taken at the magnification  of 200X with a inferior USB microscope.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120453.html#msg120453

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 08:02:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

but at least you had the decency not to badger me

No one is badgering you. You just refuse to accept answers with out arguing. Every question you have ever asked has turned into $#$$@@%%^ because of that.
Truth be told every thing you ever asked could be answered with a Google search, but you prefer to ask for our opinion but you don't want it when you get it you just want to start unrest. The sandshark thread should have been lock but I guess you started crying and it got unlocked good for you sunshine but the thread was already dead so it was mute wasn't it.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120460.html#msg120460

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
but at least you had the decency not to badger me

No one is badgering you. You just refuse to accept answers with out arguing. Every question you have ever asked has turned into $#$$@@%%^ because of that.
Truth be told every thing you ever asked could be answered with a Google search, but you prefer to ask for our opinion but you don't want it when you get it you just want to start unrest. The sandshark thread should have been lock but I guess you started crying and it got unlocked good for you sunshine but the thread was already dead so it was mute wasn't it.     

I will dispute you on that; I know badgering when I see it (and as a point in clarification since you chose to only partially quote me, said badgering was not in reference to this particular thread).
FYI, I had done Google searches before I started this thread. While I found several informative .pdf's on micro diamonds, I did not read of any indications that small diamonds can lead to larger ones, so I decided to start this thread.
As for the Sandshark thread being unjustifiably locked then unlocked again, you guessed wrong and there was no need for "crying" on my part. If you deem my efforts to filter out irrelevant answers to be tantamount to starting "unrest", you would do well to think again. And I believe the word you are looking for is "moot", not "mute".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120473.html#msg120473

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 08:33:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

NO THE WORD IS BYE

Posted on: October 14, 2010, 09:31:50 AM
This thread is so off topic and now a battle ground its locked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120476.html#msg120476

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.