[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 11:17:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Except that you took on two moderators for saying they probably weren't and for us defending someone else who did. Now that YOU say it, it's all fine. Thanks for the update.

Be it 10 moderators or anyone else, I would have said the same things. From the first posting in this thread, there never was any assumption that those minerals were definitely diamonds, therefore the stances that those are not diamonds is irrelevant to my question. I hope you can understand that.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120233.html#msg120233

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 12:22:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not to Muddy the Waters, I still state they are Corundum or other forms of same.

We find 1/8th inch here all the time.   Hardness of 9. Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120244.html#msg120244

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
Be it 10 moderators or anyone else, I would have said the same things. From the first posting in this thread, there never was any assumption that those minerals were definitely diamonds, therefore the stances that those are not diamonds is irrelevant to my question. I hope you can understand that.

It's entirely relevant because their not being diamonds makes your question irrelevant. I know you can't see that. Remove the word IF and you are correct. The word IF makes it relevant because if they are NOT diamonds, the question is moot. They are not micro diamonds so there is no question to be answered. Had you said, "ASSUMING they are micro diamonds . . ." your question would still be answerable. As it is, it cannot be answered because they are not micro diamonds.

I'm taking a guess here that you are not a native English speaker. While your English is very good, the nuances can make a big difference. If you are a native English speaker, you can learn a lot from people who write professionally. I do. Others here do. We picked up on that word and the fact that the answer you received invalidated the question. The proper thing to do at this point is simply acknowledge to yourself that there are things in this life to learn. When I'm wrong, and I have been here on a lot of occasions, I acknowledge it publicly and move on. Your choice. You can do something similar or you can remain silent.

This, by the way, is what MODERATORS do.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120297.html#msg120297

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:48:10 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Not to Muddy the Waters, I still state they are Corundum or other forms of same.

We find 1/8th inch here all the time.   Hardness of 9. Wise

Lets go off on a slight tangent here, Homefire. When you find small pieces of corundum in a certain spot, do you consider that indicative of the possibility that there are larger pieces of corundum in the same area as well?

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
It's entirely relevant because their not being diamonds makes your question irrelevant. I know you can't see that. Remove the word IF and you are correct. The word IF makes it relevant because if they are NOT diamonds, the question is moot. They are not micro diamonds so there is no question to be answered. Had you said, "ASSUMING they are micro diamonds . . ." your question would still be answerable. As it is, it cannot be answered because they are not micro diamonds.

I'm taking a guess here that you are not a native English speaker. While your English is very good, the nuances can make a big difference. If you are a native English speaker, you can learn a lot from people who write professionally. I do. Others here do. We picked up on that word and the fact that the answer you received invalidated the question. The proper thing to do at this point is simply acknowledge to yourself that there are things in this life to learn. When I'm wrong, and I have been here on a lot of occasions, I acknowledge it publicly and move on. Your choice. You can do something similar or you can remain silent.

This, by the way, is what MODERATORS do.

Your guess is right. English is my 3rd language, and being aware of that as well as the possibility of having being misunderstood, I had rephrased my question  in reply #22: "Does the presence of micro diamonds indicate the possibility of larger diamonds being present in the same area?". It was a general question and no reference to the photo was made. Maybe you and the others missed it. I basically just asked Homefire the same question, substituting "corundum" for "diamonds".

Had I asked 'Does the attached photo contained images of micro diamonds?', or 'Are there any micro diamonds in this photo?', then all the responses (yes, no, corundum) would be valid. I can't put it any plainer than that. I hazard a guess that Steve read the title of the thread, looked at the photo and thought I wanted to know if the shiny bits were micro diamonds. Nonetheless he was thanked for his input.

And among the things which MODERATOR(s) do in this forum are the locking of legitimate inquiries, badgering and harassing (remember the watermarking issue?) and now it seems I can add removal of posts which are not to their liking. Upon scrolling back to find my rephrased question, I find a post of mine mysteriously missing. What next, I wonder?

Question for all who bothered to read this far:
I do not know if gemstones are like gold in terms of deposits, hence this inquiry. If you find some fine gold in a stream and work your way up-current, a mother-lode of large veins or nuggets could be discovered. Does the same apply to gems?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120306.html#msg120306

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"Lets go off on a slight tangent here, Homefire. When you find small pieces of corundum in a certain spot, do you consider that indicative of the possibility that there are larger pieces of corundum in the same area as well?"

You Bet I do!   Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120311.html#msg120311

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 05:50:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And among the things which MODERATOR(s) do in this forum are the locking of legitimate inquiries, badgering and harassing (remember the watermarking issue?) and now it seems I can add removal of posts which are not to their liking. Upon scrolling back to find my rephrased question, I find a post of mine mysteriously missing. What next, I wonder?

Do you really want the answer to that?Huh?

Your question was  answered in post 4 but you are not happy with it so you start to be argumentative with GD again.

I am sticking with my other post.

I have noticed that every time you do not get the answers you want you become combative with members or moderators, if you do not like the answers don't ask the question.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120314.html#msg120314

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
"Lets go off on a slight tangent here, Homefire. When you find small pieces of corundum in a certain spot, do you consider that indicative of the possibility that there are larger pieces of corundum in the same area as well?"

You Bet I do!   Great
Thank you for your input. Extrapolating from that, I will assume the presence of larger pieces of similar minerals where smaller ones of the same were found. BTW, I would have been ok as well had you answered in the negative, which brings us to Seldom's reply:

"Do you really want the answer to that?Huh?

Your question was  answered in post 4 but you are not happy with it so you start to be argumentative with GD again.

I am sticking with my other post.

I have noticed that every time you do not get the answers you want you become combative with members or moderators, if you do not like the answers don't ask the question.
"

Yes I really want an answer to that. I do not expect you to change your stance nor will I even attempt to persuade you to do so, especially when you fail to notice that I have in the past accepted answers in the negative if they are valid and make sense, even answers from Golddigger. The knife cuts both ways, Seldom. You perceive me as combative, so be it. I perceive Golddigger in the same vein especially when he doesn't get his own way. NO doubt he is very knowledgeable and can be a fount of info most of the time, but no one's perfect (myself included).

As for reply #4 from you, you doubt they are diamonds...fine and good, but that wasn't the crux of my question. The second part of that sentence "are if any large ones are hiding in the sand." puzzled me a bit. I should have asked you what you meant by that, but went on to read the last sentence: "Most if not all beaches of the world have been prospected  for diamonds gold and other valuable resources." Again I should have asked you for clarification, as that could be interpreted in 2 ways: that there is a possibility of finding diamonds and gold on beaches, or that beaches have all been hunted out. As I mentioned to Bitburg Aggie, I was multitasking while reading thru the replies and was distracted (on the several occasions) by some tasks both mundane and pressing. I don't blame you for interpreting my lack of acknowledgment as unhappiness at the answers, but in actual fact that was not the case.

BTW, the last bit of your other post: "if you do not like the answers don't ask the question. ". Once again, I state that it is not a matter of me liking nor disliking the answers. However, one cannot know if the answers are likable or not if one does not ask the question in the first place.  Smiley That's a bit of a catch-22.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120347.html#msg120347

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You know what I am going to let GD handle this you insist on an argument and its not worth it. Trust me he is nicer then me so your lucky. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120348.html#msg120348

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
You know what I am going to let GD handle this you insist on an argument and its not worth it. Trust me he is nicer then me so your lucky. 

Sigh. You asked me if I wanted an answer to that, and I gave you a straightforward positive answer: yes I do. How can that be construed as insisting on an argument? I'd rather you continue on this matter even though you claim to be not as nice as GD. But if you wish to play tag-team answer to Hobbyist and let GD do it, that's fine also. I have no quarrel with you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120351.html#msg120351

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 09:42:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK you want an answer First if threads are lock its because they have got out of hand. #2 No one has deleted any threads. #3 You have tried to start an argument with  GD and others when they do not agree with you  go back and look at the water mark thread along with several others. #3 If you contently with this it will not end well.

Here is the answer to the question

Alluvial diamond deposits are found on the Atlantic coast of South Africa and Namibia, as well
as in some riverbeds in Angola, Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African
Republic, Cote d?Ivoire, Guinea, Ghana, Liberia, Tanzania, Togo, Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana
and South Africa.

You have not found diamonds just corundum. I got 32 miles of beach in my front yard you can have all the corundum  you want.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18364.msg120359.html#msg120359

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.